PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 October 2016 at 7:06PM
    Packsaddles are for Packs not people. You can hang stupendous amounts off a good packsaddle but sit on one & you'll do yourself a mischief, regardless of padding.

Time spent learning to persuade a horse to shove a curious nose through a rope loop is blimming useful when you wish to obtain control of it. Says a major fan of windfalls & cheap carrots, with a strangely unhandled skipping rope.

Nothing wrong with beer & pool in a survival situation. You have to pass the time somehow while cooking the fattest horse...

Sorry, I was reading in a hurry and thought you meant a saddle to take a rider :rotfl:

B]Greenbee[/B] just seen your posts - so sorry you've lost your consultant. I hope the new one will be equally good, and willing to accept that you don't want your treatment to change as it's suiting you.
    When I was having gastro investigations a few years ago I saw three different consultants. It had all got a bit confusing due to the merger of 2 NHS trusts around that time. The one I liked least was the one who introduced himself with "Good morning Mrs Leaf, my name is mumble-mumble." and was determined that I needed my gall bladder removed, even though I explained that although I was aware I had a gallstone, that wasn't actually where the pain was. He still wrote hopefully "MAY NEED SURGERY" across a page of my notes. :mad:
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 October 2016 at 7:34PM
    Tea is at risk?
    The genial beverage, the stuff on which I prefer to go to work, the substance I have pots devoted to? *Tea*?
    Oh the irony I only got a mere four variants in Chinatown last week & tomorrow's to do list now includes startling my local coop as I clear their stocks.
    Meantime, I shall prepare the exArmy paychest. (Big, heavy solid cupboard, locks, made of thick metal plate to deter platoon theft. That I'll need block & tackle to lift the door unassisted is a mere sideline.)

As for consultants, I've met quite a few & by & large they can be managed. I was a touch bemused to find my latest one is easily a decade younger than I am, but if she sticks at it, all may be very well.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p I'm shocked that consultants who don't seem that much older than me are retiring. I dunno, you just get 'em housetrained and then they up and leave.

The tea issue is a serious one, there would be turrible suffering in a post-apocalyptic world if we were deprived of our national beverage. We might have to revert to our pre-tea version of the native brew - beer!

I have eaten my nettles. And all is well with the world.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    The tea issue is a serious one, there would be turrible suffering in a post-apocalyptic world if we were deprived of our national beverage. We might have to revert to our pre-tea version of the native brew - beer!
    Darn tootin! Ply me with tea & I am mellow, sociable, cooperative. To say nothing of safe behind the wheel.

Make it beer & I am *not* a happy camper. The liquid bread is not my preferred slice.

Mint tea is the way to go, short term. Breeding a very fast growing & ripening tea is a more complex alternative!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Nettle tea? GQ's been eating nettles, so no reason not to turn it into tea...
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o Ooops! Sorry to have been the imp of Satin (sic) leading you into bad habits. You can freeze cake, too. Norralorra people know that.

???

You sure?

I've never had a cake that lasted long enough to get chilled, never mind frozen!;)
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Newbie to this board but was very inspired by the prepping thread - as the kids have got older I have become rather more complacent about bring prepared for much at all - I made a resolution to make a start with the first aid kit - its seen better days - a lot of them - a miserable collection consisting of a handful of the never used size of sticking plasters, a crinkly looking crepe bandage and a half tube of savlon - all in a cracked old ice cream tub...I vowed to buy a new one soon - then trotting round Aldiddly this afternoon - found a 100 piece one for £9.99. Now very pleased with myself for making a start on a bit of prepping. :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    That's the first step on a long road, Gardener!
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    The spaghoops are an aberration (and quite possibly an unnatural act, even) but they were only 15p a can and thus quite irresistable.

Oh, alright then, I'll let you off..

Next spring don't forget dandelions, called cicoria (or tarasacco) in the Italian mountains where I lived, with the (young) roots eaten in salads with boiled egg. Lovely nutty flavour and the season is quite long: you'll see people collecting it in the roadside meadows at the bottom of the valley and as spring advances the collect it further up the mountain.

As for reading about tea on this thread: guess where I'm going.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Speaking of Italy - poor souls have had another big shake there and I wonder how far our preps would get us if that happened to us.. Not a lot of use if they ended up buried. Maybe a good idea to spread things around a few locations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure