We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Buy farm shares rather than grow your own

Options
I was considering growing my own crops to reduce costs, as it'd be more tax efficient than overtime

But i came to thinking, big farms are surely more efficient than i could ever be, I'd be better off buying shares of existing farms and agriculture companies, rather than buying my own plants, equipment, etc

Although growing your own would be a good hobby, getting outside, seeing the fruit of your labours, literally

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely if you bought shares in a farm ( even if farms are publicly listed, I'm not sure they are ? ), you wouldn't be receiving fruit and veg ? Just like shares in any other company, you'd receive a dividend if the business does well, and risk losing your investment if the business fails. If you want home-grown produce then you need to grow it yourself - or befriend someone else who grows their own and set up some sort of bartering arrangement ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was thinking of using returns to buy produce as an equivalent to growing your own, but i suppose to would still have chemicals

And growing your own would generally have the same risk
    Big enough agricultural companies are listed...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You could spread the risk by buying shares in a big food manufaturer, like Unilever, and smile ironically as you buy organic products using the dividends

DYOR of course and other similar companies are available

Disclosure - I own some Unilver shares, annualised return to date is nearly 20%, past is no guide to future etc
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely if you bought shares in a farm ( even if farms are publicly listed, I'm not sure they are ? ), you wouldn't be receiving fruit and veg ?

You could - https://communitysupportedagriculture.org.uk/what-is-csa/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport