Overseas universities and fees

My 17 year old recently went on a trip to Canada and has now decided she wants to go to uni over there (she leaves 6th form next year) I have no idea about how universities and fees work in the U.K. never mind overseas! Please can someone help I have contacted her school but they haven't bothered to get back to me. Would we be expected to pay towards it? On paper our income looks healthy but after tax ni and expenditures it's not all that rosy.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure why you think her school would have any idea of how the Canadian university system works unless they have a record of students going there.

I don't know either but I'm pretty sure you will have to fund this yourself unless the Canadian government offers any assistance to Overseas students (and if they do it's likely to be loans at best).
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unless your daughter can get a scholarship or bursary, she would almost certainly have to pay all tuition and subsistence costs herself. The good news is that the fees seem pretty reasonable by international standards, not much more than in the UK, and the cost of living is lower. You would need to factor in the additional costs of health insurance and travel etc.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The good news is that the fees seem pretty reasonable by international standards, not much more than in the UK, and the cost of living is lower.

I'm not sure it's that good news, given that the home tuition fee costs would be covered by a student loan - if the OP's daughter does study in Canada then those costs will be coming straight from the OP's pocket. If by UK you mean England then that could be in the region of £10,000 to be found for each year of study.
  • SoSilver9
    SoSilver9 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    See https://www.canadian-universities.net/Campus/International-Students.html
    I was looking to see what it compares to USA.
    To go study in other country is quite complicated and you have to pass tests and fill in lots of paperwork arrange visa etc
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll have to fund the fees yourself each year upfront in full, good universities are from $30,000 CAD up to double that if you're doing clinical courses, plus living expenses. If you can show proof of these funds it's easy enough to get a student visa once you have an acceptance and you are entitled to work up to 20 hours a week. The advantage to studying in Canada is if she wants to live and work there after graduation she will get more points for immigration acceptance.

There's also the option of working there in student holidays if she goes to university elsewhere - BUNAC programmes etc - I did this and it was an amazing experience. However I went to uni before £9,000 fees, so it was cheaper to stay in the UK. If you don't have £30k upwards saved for her uni then it's not realistic unless she excels at sports or is academically gifted. Some universities on certain degree courses offer exchanges to US/Canadian universities - this should be in the online prospectus information. You should be encouraging her to find out all this information rather than doing the work for her, if she's going away to uni it's best to start treating her as an adult now and let her work out how she is going to achieve her educational/career goals

To find out more information about applying to Canadian university your daughter should be looking at the Canadian university websites, they all have pages of information for international students and guides on how to apply and who to contact for confirmation of grades required and how to convert GPAs to A level grades etc. Cost of living is generally cheaper outside of major cities, obviously this depends on where you are in the UK and also if she would be coming home for holidays etc.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure