Can't fit gas Smart Meter due to IJ on pipe

Just had SSE round to fit my Smart Meter, however the installer took one look at my gas mater and said they are not allowed to fit it as it has an Insulation Joint (IJ) on it. He suggested only option was National Grid would need to be contacted to remove this but was not sure if they would do it. HAs anyone ever experienced this and know whether it is fixable or can I not have a gas Smart Meter in this scenario? He still fitted the electricity one.

Comments

• I can't say i know what an insulation joint is. If you could provide a picture of the gas meter (remove serial numbers from the image if you wish). Post a pic of the electric position too, try to include as much surrounding area as possible.

I cant think of anything on the national grid side that would stop a meter being installed, other than the ECV(gas tap) not working correctly, but he would have completed the electric before getting to know that.

TL-DR, sounds like a fast one, post a pic for more detailed response
  • Not a gas fitter, sure someone who is can give a more detailed answer soon, but i think its a joint put in the incoming pipe with an electrically insulating section in it, which breaks the overall conductivity of the pipework where the incoming gas main is metal not plastic, to prevent an electrical fault in the property from returning down the metal gas main..??
  • Not a gas fitter, sure someone who is can give a more detailed answer soon, but i think its a joint put in the incoming pipe with an electrically insulating section in it, which breaks the overall conductivity of the pipework where the incoming gas main is metal not plastic, to prevent an electrical fault in the property from returning down the metal gas main..??

One of the first rules in gas is when undertaking work on the gas installation is, if you cause a break in the system, IE removing a meter, breaking into pipework then you will use Temporary Continuity Bonds to bridge the gap to ensure electric continuity remains.

If your answer is the reason to the OPs issue, then its a proper joke as no body uses them anyway.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    MeterMan wrote: »
    I can't say i know what an insulation joint is.
    It's like a sky hook.
  • This is a picture of the offending pipe. It is the big ring above the red tape. He took one look at it and said they are not allowed to touch it.

http://imgur.com/6Ny9ihk
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's not really associated with the meter is it?

There's an isolating valve and flexi-pipe between it and the meter. He wouldn't have to touch it at all.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Scotlands_Lite
    Scotlands_Lite Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 23 December 2016 at 4:33PM
    Something the installer has interpreted from this (read section GB003)? ...

www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/GuidanceforElectricityandGasMeterInstallationCustomerFacingIssues.pdf

...it would seem possibly, to be a potential issue with meter installation in general rather than specific to smart meters.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This is a bonding issue (asp per the helpful GB003 found by Scotlands_Life) - the meter installer is required to check if there was a clamp and wiring on the meter. I think the installer is incorrect in describing the section of plastic pipe as an IJ - , in most cases the service pipe is entirely plastic, including the main itself

I had a similar issue - the gas meter was in a separate cupboard from the electric / water installation and there was no bonding.

However the installer continued with the installation and gave me a defect notice. Now rectified.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The only issue I can see, is that excessive force may be excerted on the plastic pipe when loosening/tightening the ECV union.

The engineer should have contacted the national grid for a 'check for safety'. If he did this, then they would have attended within 4 hours of first contact. If this didnt happen, then contact National Grid yourself and request a check for safety.

The guidance posted states

:No insulation joint fitted Note: Currently subject to industry and stakeholder discussion

Which is massively open to interpretation on whether or not a job can go ahead. Company standards may differ from this document and I haven't read SMICOP (Smart Metering Codes of Practice) and that guide is 18 months old so things may have changed by now.

Personally, I dont see an issue with the job, I would fit the meter and contact national grid for them to deem its level of safeness.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    OK i will tell you the truth of the matter.

The insulation joint is sometimes fitted on metallic /steel incoming srvice pipes. It is there to protect the outside gas network from stray electrical currents from within the home being conducted outside via the gas pipework.

Now then, there is absolutely nothing to stop the smart meter worker from doing the meter work.

I strongly suspect that the reason why he stalled you the OP as that he cant be bothered with it.

The outlet fittings on the ECV are somewhat different to standard and so he would have to use additional skills and fittings to adapt to suit his new meter. That is the bit he didnt want to do.

In simple terms he either didnt have the skills/fittings or simply couldnt be ars&&d with it.

As for continuity bonds, a temporary continuity bond could be used in this instance simply by attaching after the insulation joint.

I would adivse that anyone undertaking such work DOES use a temporary bond as there are plenty of cases of people receiving electric shocks/burns by not doing so..

The OP needs to go back to his/her supplier and complain.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure