MSE News: New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report

12346»

Comments

• MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Elfinpie wrote: »
    Hi,

I could be being really dim here but how on earth do you add your maiden/previous married surnames? I've tried twice to register and I've only been given the option to enter my current (married) name. This then results in accounts being missed off the report. How can I correct this?

Hi Elfinpie

Right now, we don't have an option to add your maiden name/previous names when registering. The theory is that these should automatically get matched to your profile, but we're aware that this doesn't always happen.

If you follow the process of raising a query using the 'need more help' button within your Credit Report, Experian will be able to help you by adding an alias to resolve this.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    tomc22 wrote: »
    Hi MSE,

Would you be able to change the address section to allow people to type in the fields rather than choose from a list? I'm sure this is the reason I keep failing the Experian identification process.

Hi TomC22

Thanks for your suggestion. For the moment our team is focusing on ensuring we've got the full range of UK addresses listed for you. Would you be able to check if the address we have for you matches the Royal Mail data?
    http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

If so, then the problem perhaps lies with Experian's data on your addresses (possibly coming from your lenders) not being quite right. We're working with Experian to look for solutions for these types of issues. But if the MSE lookup doesn't match Royal Mail, do let us know (by emailing creditclub@moneysavingexpert.com) and we'll follow up.
  • If you had a long standing unpaid debt for example, can that company see that you've accessed that report? I know someone that would benefit from accessing their credit report but I think they're worried that if they did the companies they owe money to would start getting involved. Can anyone help me so I can put their mind at rest. TIA.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2017 at 10:33AM
    molerat wrote: »
    Getting my score and report all OK.

Two comments

1. Is it possible to get the monthly score and monthly report updated on the same date ?

2. The formatting/layout of the report is poor. No dates shown against the monthly account detail boxes so just a load of numbers and ticks with no reference to date. There are no headings on the credit amounts, just rows of numbers. It is fairly obvious what they mean to me but could confuse some.
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi Molerat

Thanks for your questions.

1) We're looking at how this might work in the future, but for now the two aren't aligned (unless you skip a month and then only load your next report on the same day that you get emailed that your score has updated).

2) This is something which we're working on with Experian to improve and add more clarity on.
    This month the report has updated before the score, next score update due 12th April ! edit: New score appeared this morning 16th.

Formatting of the report is getting better. Still a long way to go though, looks like it was done by a 10 year old - different box sizes, sidebar headings not actually lining up with boxes, random thick, thin or no borders round those boxes - very messy !
  • onthego
    onthego Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Argh.
    So...I finally managed to buy my first house. I completed last week and I've updated my addresses with my bank and credit card, got house insurance, put the bills in my name.
    Waited a few days then today logged into MSE credit club, updated my address, my homeowner status, my income because I've changed occupation too, and refreshed my credit club report. Yikes I didn't realise my credit score could go so low!
    The most ridiculous thing is, I was really looking forward to seeing the little green smiley face telling me a homeowner. But I still see a red one telling me I'm not!
    AND it is still telling me I am using twice the amount of credit that I actually am, because of the address I've stayed at multiple times (one has dropped off so it's not triple!)
    AND a current account I closed weeks ago is still showing as a credit facility.
    Basically the whole thing is a complete bag of lies. Nothing in it is true.
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 April 2017 at 11:35AM
    I can't get past the verification section when registering! IS there anything anyone can do to help me get this sorted?

I know all of the information Ive entered is correct BUT the error page that comes up is of absolutely no help what so ever as it just says "tough t1tty, you are one of a very few who we can't do SFA for"??

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mailman
  • I was recently considering applying for a re-mortgage to have an extension built so I did what we are told to do and checked the CRAs. Clearscore.com says I'm goodish. Certainly over UK average. Noddle and MSE experian credit club say I'm borderline fair. Wanting to get more info I signed up for the full experian report. Both the score and negative factors were completely different to that given through the MSE credit club. Almost 100 lower on the full report than the MSE report and more negatives on the full report than the MSE report. I followed them both for nearly 3 months and they were never close to being the same.

Experian reckon I should do something to fix my credit score and their recommendation is that I apply for some extremely expensive credit cards, which, obviously, they will help me to find.

Straight away that should ring alarm bells. The same people who are giving me the score will offer to find a way to fix it and no doubt pick up a commission. And what a way to fix it as well. According to their "score" I'm bad with credit and the fix is to offer me the most expensive credit available.

So I used their "credit matcher" service to look for mortgages only to be told that no products met my needs. Despite the fact that I have a mortgage and haven't missed a payment in 27 years, there isn't a single mortgage on the market that they can find that is suitable for my level of risk according to experian.

Anyway, I decided to ignore the score and apply to the Halifax and 3 days later I was accepted with an excellent 5 year fix and, even with the extra borrowing the whole mortgage is finished in 8 years.

And then even more experian nonsense. Shortly after applying and before being accepted I received an alert email telling me that someone had searched my details and I should check immediately. I was fairly sure it was the Halifax but checked anyway. And it's not there. Nothing new under alerts since the last update 2 weeks previously. And not there the day after either.

Nor have they yet responded to my customer service request to tell me why I can't see an alert that they emailed me about. And, as of this morning, the alert is still not showing although my credit score has dropped by over 60. The reason ? I've apparently applied for credit. So having applied for and then been accepted for a product they said I was unlikely to get, my score has gone down. But only on full experian. I will have to wait for MSE to catch up.

So the alerts are worth nothing, the data is partially random, the score meaningless, they have a foot in both camps (setting your score and selling you things to fix it) and they don't respond to customer service enquiries.

My advice would be not to bother. You will spend more time worrying about your score (it caused me sleepless nights) and those with low scores will be bombarded with offers for unsuitable products.

Pay your bills on time, take advice if you are in debt and whatever you do, don't be tempted to "fix" your score by getting a credit card or loan at extortionate rates. And certainly don't do what I did and lose sleep over this meaningless number.

If they worked, the alerts are about the only thing worth having from a CRA but my experience is that they don't work.

I've now canceled my full experian account.

Regards
    Peter
    p.s.
    My existing 27yr old mortgage isn't listed as an active account with any of the three CRAs. Good to see they are scoring with the correct data.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure