PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer Qs

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first home within the next year. Ive read conflicting info about electoral rolls etc- i hope someone can help?

I have all of my credit at my mothers house (bank details, previous finance etc) which technically is my permanent home. Since i moved to university i kept everything there due to moving house every few years- didn't want to seem like a drifter. I am now renting a home where i have my drivers licence/am on the electoral roll. Q- do i need to get back onto the electoral roll on my mothers address, or do lenders see this a lot with people who have moved around? My credit is good at my mothers so i don't want to !!!! 20 odd years worth of credit be moving everything to my temp rental. Any info would be great, thanks :)

Comments

• to add- I've read you can be on the electoral roll at 2 addresses- is this a good idea? thanks!!
  • I don't think that your credit record is address specific. I've had several addresses, and like you at first kept my main bank account at my parent's address (we had a shared mailbox in flats which was not secure in our first place). I have since taken out car finance, mobile phone contracts, credit cards etc at my rental address, without any problem. When I look at my credit report on any of the credit reference agencies, I can see all of my addresses for the last 12 years or so linked together, along with the electoral roll history. I've since moved everything to our rented house, primarily because we are looking to buy a house as soon as we've found the one we want, and haven't seen any problems - in fact my credit score has improved in this time.

Since all your address history is linked together on your record at the credit reference agencies, I don't think it will do any harm to move everything to your current address. In fact, it will make it easier, as you will get your correspondence quicker rather than waiting til you visit your parents.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    MortgageMe wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first home within the next year. Ive read conflicting info about electoral rolls etc- i hope someone can help? - Yes being on the electoral roll is a massive credit flag.

I have all of my credit at my mothers house (bank details, previous finance etc) - What about your driving documents, utilities etc. which technically is my permanent home. - Is it your primary residence? I doubt it Since i moved to university i kept everything there due to moving house every few years- didn't want to seem like a drifter. - Id say this was a mistake, your credit isn't following you. I am now renting a home where i have my drivers licence/am on the electoral roll. Q- do i need to get back onto the electoral roll on my mothers address - No, you don't live there. , or do lenders see this a lot with people who have moved around? My credit is good at my mothers so i don't want to !!!! 20 odd years worth of credit be moving everything to my temp rental. Any info would be great, thanks :)

Credit ratings follow you, not linked to just one address - you don't start from zero if you move. I don't know who's told you what but your credit will suffer as you will have multiple addresses linked to the same time periods.
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    MortgageMe wrote: »
    to add- I've read you can be on the electoral roll at 2 addresses- is this a good idea? thanks!!

No. They insisted I was removed from one before I got a mortgage.
    I doubt it'll matter which one you're at, but not both. My stuff was all over the place, but credit report shows everything.

Other than the electoral roll, no real issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure