Blowing in the Winds of Change

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 4 September 2016 at 5:14PM
    Hello Dansmam and all MSEers, :hello:

Sounds like you've had a very refreshing break, Dansmam - where did you go? (Sorry if you told us before, alas I can't remember except thinking somewhere in the UK?).
    The weather's been pretty good everywhere, so hopefully you were able to get out and about, exploring the locality. :)
    Bet Lurcher Lad was delighted to see you, although am certain the girls will have done a fantastic job of looking after him [and the house] while you've been away?

..CD actually gave me a few stiff, bouncy pirouettes when I returned after just a couple of hours' absence from her yesterday - heart-warming! :smileyhea

Yes, hopefully PNH will soon lose a letter and become NH. Still a few things to sort out - eg., the exact purchase price[!] but am compiling a list of necessary work as a starting point for negotiation.
    Of course doing it this way has a couple of huge advantages: No estate agent's fees for Current Owner, and we probably already know more about the place than a survey would tell us, so cash saved on both sides before we start.. ;)

Yesterday's mission got rather side-tracked; ended up going for a drive in pouring rain to another town where they I]ahem[/I just happen to have one of the German supermarkets, so have taken over an empty fridge-freezer in PNH with what I hope are a month's worth of staples for DS, CD and self. Got all the house-stuff with the exception of tap washers too - typical; leaky taps really annoy me, lol!

Spends:
    Groceries / house-stuff - £50
    Fuel - £62
  • *Robin*
    edited 6 September 2016 at 12:34PM
    Hello MSE World, :hello:

Had good news and bad news yesterday.. Bad news was finding out the amount of CGT am going to be liable for on selling DH's flat. Very bad news, that. Suspect it will mean improvements to PNH having to be put on hold, or worse depending on timing of the demand (much larger bridging loan - if I can get one?).. :(

Good news was that DS4 got a letter, saying he's won the prize for being the best graduating arts student of the year at his college (suppose him being asked to do the speech should have given us a clue). Not only is it a cash award, but includes a family invite to the VIP p!ss-up/bun-fight afterwards! Most of you would relish such an opportunity to bask in his glory, buy new clobber for the occasion etc etc., but it fills me with dread.. :(
    Why? Well, as I had to go back to bed for six hours just following the exertion of having a shower yesterday, you can imagine how long am likely to be wiped out after attending such a posh function. :o
    ..Might have to send DS3 & GGF instead - let the other attendees think DS3 is related to the famous catwalk model GGF is apparently often mistaken for! :rotfl:

CD is cross with me today; have put her fluffy bed in the wash. She says she doesn't want to sit on van's floor without it - instead is lying outside in the dust on the drive, in high dudgeon. :o
    Think we'll go for a walk at the burial ground as soon as CD's bed is on the line; could do with a meditation session next to DH's grave.
  • Congrats to Divo 4 :T.

Hope you found the peace you were looking for this afternoon Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Hi Robin

With regards to CGT would you like me to run through the calculations to ensure it is correct? Not doubting you or any accountant you may have helping but just offering if it would help. Just private message if I can.

Congratulations on Divo 4 that fantastic! What an amazing result. Pop that on the CV eh? Even if you can't join in what a celebration of him. xxx

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • Congratulations to Divo 4 - how nice to have his achievements so celebrated. And just because you have been invited to the awards do does not mean that you have to attend. Might you perhaps be able to go to the ceremony quietly and then leave afterwards, and as you said leave your avatars to do the carousing? Obviously I have no idea about the logistics involved in getting to- and from.
    Scruffy dog is giving me CD's treatment right now - his bed blankets are on the line and it's not going to be any improvement when he gets them back as a. he is about to have a bath, and b. I have washed them with a washing product that I have to review that despite its claims of being organic smells very strongly of fake ozoneyness.
    The cat is currently in his empty bed and I'd swear she's laughing at us both!
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£330.00 (66%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£062.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• *Robin*
    edited 8 September 2016 at 1:16PM
    Hello MSE World, :hello:

Thanks for posting, Lucky, Sparky and Joey. :T

Lost a long heart-pouring post yesterday when lappy had another fit.. Perhaps just as well all m' angst has flown to the Netherworld - doesn't do any good being too self-indulgent. <sigh>
    A mate has pointed me towards a much more ethically acceptable small laptop-building company, but the choices mean nothing; talk about arcane knowledge! ..Wish Divo Two wasn't so busy; he'd relish discussing the merits of the many variations on offer.
    Muggins got as far as:
    "Ooh, a back-lit keyboard, that would be handy! Hmm, is it worth an extra £75?"

Plans the day before yesterday were totally derailed when I realised PNH's washer had forgotten it's tricks. Now that's technology I can tackle; luckily had brought number-two oven tray from the Nest, which from long experience I know is the only thing which will fit under the idiotically-designed standard washing machine drain plug (< a feature which must have been dreamed-up by a man!).
    Van's tool-kit sufficed, m' knees suffered mightily, but two hours later the machine was working properly again. :D
    (The cuprits: Half a jay-cloth and a bent hair-grip removed from it's gizzards for the lads' inspection. Interestingly, the housemate who favours jay-cloths for cleaning and also wears hairgrips, moved out of PNH over three months ago :cool:).

Alas in it's madness, the washer had reduced CD's fluffy rug to a sad doughnut, obliging me to spend the rest of the afternoon cobbling a repair. From beneath my efforts are a right mess, but on the top it looks perfect again - representing an MSE saving of £50 (< cost of a replacement). :D

By then DS was back, in an ill humour because his current job is so tedious. Neither of us felt like cooking, which made it an opportunity to try another of the local takeaways.. We agreed on the chippy. Both pieces of fish were very good; light crispy batter blanketing succulent fillets, portions generous enough to share with CD yet half the price of the place closest to homehome. DS bought himself some chips but they were so disappointing he lobbed 'em straight into the green bin. It occurred to me to ask:
    "Are the proprietors Chinese, by any chance?"
    "How did you know?"
    "There are two things those of Chinese descent simply cannot do; pronounce the letter 'R' and cook decent British chips," I said, handing DS a bowl of salad. Not sure whether the former is strictly true, but at least it made Divo Four laugh. :p

Yesterday CD and self spent most of the day at the burial grounds. Such a beautiful place; the trees have grown enough now to fully justify the word 'woodland' on the gate. CD followed rabbit-scent while I nibbled blackberries as we wandered through the groves, pausing to spend time with each of our loved-ones who rest there.

Couldn't find m' keys for the parts of homehome which aren't rented out, so decided I might as well cook DH's favourite meal while searching camper-van thoroughly. Took my plate to his grave; enjoyed the 'hot picnic' immensely while wishing DH was able to share, but it was so delightfully peaceful.. Fell asleep for a time when meditating afterwards, lying on the spot where I too will rest one day (that was a little strange, although it was satisfying to be able to appreciate the view - mostly tree-tops, admittedly).
    Woke up to a niggling certainty; last Autumn I left homehome's keys with Divo Four, in order to avoid losing 'em - mystery solved! :D

Lucky - thanks for congrats to DS4; am indeed very proud of the effort he's put in. :)

Sparky - thanks for your offer, and also reminding me that Accountant may be able to help too. Will get in touch if he can't, but the official guidelines seem fairly clear (:().

Joey - Divo Three and GGF as avatars? ..Oh my goodness, what a thought! :rotfl:
    ..Hope you're still in Scruffy's 'good books' after his bath!

Spends:
    Takeaway fish & throw-away chips - £6.50
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Robin
    regards CGT erm aren't there lots of things you can offset against that, like maintenance and mortgage insurance or something, or is that just normal income tax?
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • chevalier wrote: »
    Hi Robin
    regards CGT erm aren't there lots of things you can offset against that, like maintenance and mortgage insurance or something, or is that just normal income tax?
    chev

You can. Also, CGT is only payable the the value of the asset when you got it (not when it was bought) taken away from sale value. Minus the above type expenses (selling fees etc)

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • Hey Robin how are things? Hope PNH is getting closer to being actual - unless your plans have changed? News here is that van is up for sale - sale price to be split as girls have different plans. I have a plan to be surplus to employer requirements and take off. Just need employer to agree they are capable of picking up the reins...Bit concerned how quiet it is on here, hope you're not laid low by anything x
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Robin hope things are going ok, thinking of you
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure