Why is the Woolwich mortgage offer taking so long

I am British and my husband is from New Zealand. He's been here 5 years and has a fully trackable credit history and work visa, he's worked at the same place for over 4 years. We applied for a mortgage with the Woolwich via a broker and made our situation clear. They agreed to lend us the money and we sent all the paperwork they asked for via the broker. They booked the survey straight away. The survey report came back as good as could be expected. This was on the 9th of May (about a month ago) and we still haven't had the mortgage offer.

Our broker seems to think they might still be ensuring my husband is legally OK to be here but I can't imagine this is true especially as there's nothing more they can possibly need that they haven't had for over a month. Does anyone have any idea what the delay can be? I'm getting quite worried because our landlord wants us out in a few weeks and we're not getting any answers from anyone. Our broker has escalated the matter via his contacts but all we ever get back from them is they'll deal with it ASAP.

Thoughts?

Comments

• mazarif
    mazarif Posts: 2 Newbie
    Just got a call from the broker who says he finally got some verbal confirmation that everything is fine and they will be issuing a mortgage offer by tomorrow. I hope he's right!
  • bemma21
    bemma21 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I'm going through the same at the minute.

I got the report back from the Survey, 2 weeks ago, and we are still waiting for the mortgage offer.

The vendors want completion by 6th July and I am still no further forward!

I have asked the advisor coutless times over the last week, and all I get is thta they are busy.

Any advice?
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can only chase, chase, chase and ensure that your broker is doing the same...

Good luck
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • bemma21
    bemma21 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have chased with the company myself, as i dont seem to be getting anywhere with the advisor, calls and emails ignored!!!

The advisr asked me last week regarding a linked address - which I told her was my husbands, and that she would let the Woolwich know - and lo and behold after speaking with them today, she has not told them!! So mad!!!!

That has now delayed it for another 2-4 days!!!:mad:

Will ring them again Friday now to see if there is any more news!

Thanx thou!!
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Woolwich are one of the few that I think will let the clients speak to our intermediary line regarding the mortgage application.

Obviously, none of my clients feel the need to chase the bank themselves..

Keep chasing the broker too though..

Good luck
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Wh05apk
    Wh05apk Posts: 2,938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bemma21 wrote: »
    I have chased with the company myself, as i dont seem to be getting anywhere with the advisor, calls and emails ignored!!!

The advisr asked me last week regarding a linked address - which I told her was my husbands, and that she would let the Woolwich know - and lo and behold after speaking with them today, she has not told them!! So mad!!!!

That has now delayed it for another 2-4 days!!!:mad:

Will ring them again Friday now to see if there is any more news!

Thanx thou!!

In fairness to your advisor, I would not believe a word you have been told by woolwich, they are not reliable at the best of times,
    I am a mortgage adviser.
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TooDee
    TooDee Posts: 79 Forumite
    I've got a similar problem. I've had my offer though from the Coventry but the solicitors still haven't had the paper work yet. Is this normal to have a difference between the two? I received my offer in the post last Friday. Do you think the solicitors papers maybe lost in the post? :(
  • Wh05apk
    TooDee wrote: »
    I've got a similar problem. I've had my offer though from the Coventry but the solicitors still haven't had the paper work yet. Is this normal to have a difference between the two? I received my offer in the post last Friday. Do you think the solicitors papers maybe lost in the post? :(

I've had this before with Coventry, et your broker to request it to be resent to your solictor.
    I am a mortgage adviser.
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TooDee
    TooDee Posts: 79 Forumite
    Wh05apk wrote: »
    I've had this before with Coventry, et your broker to request it to be resent to your solictor.

Will do thanks. I thought we were starting to get somewhere as it took about 4 weeks for the offer to come through. Thought we were finally getting somewhere then it all stops again.
  • Wh05apk
    Coventry have been horrendously behind untl very recently, taking 2-3 weeks to look at paperwork, hopefully "normal" service has now been resumed.
    I am a mortgage adviser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure