Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi too too thanks for popping in, centerparcs is lovely and relaxing isn't it :D

Today has not gone well, I have been driving to and from work and dd to her volunteering/work experience And a light came on the dash, as I am useless I popped round my parents as my dad is great at car stuff and it appears there is a major problem with car :( it could be one of a few things put probably major ,ie £1000+ :(
    He is taking it to a friend to be diagnosed on the computer hopefully tomorrow, I can borrow mums to run the kids to stuff at the weekend but won't have a car for work next week if it is serious.

My lovely best friend has offered me her Volvo 4x4 for a week or so as they have 3 cars between the 2 of them but I am a bit worried about borrowing it :eek:

Its all my fault for feeling "in control " of the finances, I was really asking for trouble earlier!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Forumite
    Phew , car catastrophe averted. Dad took it and it had a broken cylinder, but as he is the landlord of the garage and had recently done them a favour they only charged £100 which was less than the cost of the part itself :beer:

To celebrate I am going to my parents for a takeaway tonight, dh is tired so will stay at home with the kids and watch a film (he thinks that's what they are doing but they will probably gang up and make him watch I'm a celebrity :rotfl:)

Went to the gym again today, lost 2lb this week since starting :j we did get the hard sell from a personal trainer there offering us a free session , and she only charges £45 ph afterwards :eek: that's motivation to do it alone if ever there was one!

Hope everyone has a good weekend, out of nosiness when is everyone putting up their tree? I can't decide between this weekend and next.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    De lurking to say mine is going up on Sunday while I have a glass of something cold and a Christmas movie on the telly. I love it when it is up but actually hate doing it.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    good news on the car :)

we have just put up our christmas tree. we probably would've done next weekend but dh is away. Also i've got an advent thingy this year so wanted it up ready for the 1st!
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • newgirly
    Forumite
    Hi too too and xspender, hope the trees look good :xmastree: we have done something very un-mse and bought a real one for the first time on years (well dh paid) supposed to be 7ft but is actually about 10ft and still needs a bit of trimming at the top, not sure it will survive until Xmas day as its so early but I usually take everything down after Boxing Day anyway.

I am in a right mess, I've been running dd around all weekend for volunteering, sorting out the Xmas dec's, food shopping (In a chuck junk in the trolley type of way :o ), and making soup form leftovers that was a bit gross :D

Went to the gym and then came home and ate lots of pizza and chocolate with the kids watching elf, Definatly getting in the Xmas spirit now the tree is up.

Back later with a weekly plan , hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • newgirly
    Forumite
    To do list for this week:

Flyladying, tomorrow is living/dining room hallway
    Washing and ironing - get on top of daily not as and when desperate for a clean pe kit :o
    Go through accounts tomorrow and order final Xmas presents with what's available
    Go to the gym at least every other day
    Buy large gift bags for Xmas to group presents together for different families
    Work out a menu and buy for Sunday's pre Xmas dinner
    Sort paperwork and post off stuff
    Ring mortgage company and see is paperwork is still valid for changes as I have still not posted it!
    Cancel disneyland break
    Try on dress I bought for xmas in mr t , if its still a little tight take it back - it's too close to the big day now :D
    Order cinema tickets for the national theatres live broadcasts (x3 :o)
    Work out what I've bought and what needs evening out and distributing for family to give the kids (they asked)
    Try to be nice to dh as he is stressed, even if he is beyond grumpy :p

That's all I can think of now,
  • newgirly
    Forumite
    I had a bad day yesterday, a very long hard day at work, ds2 with a heavy cold up in the night and then had to go to school :( , drains blocked and overflowed into neighbours garden, washing machine leaked, I got a £65 fine for doing a uturn where I should'nt (didn't know I'd done it!) and then a really bad car crash on the way home right next to where I was sat in traffic.
    My plan of keeping on top of things is not going that well at the moment, I have postponed Sundays Xmas dinner for the week after , as I just don't have time at the moment to sort it out.

No idea what's going on with the bank accts as have not checked for a few days and have been ordering presents , plus lots of expensive mini shops locally instead of going to the supermarket.

Oh well, onwards and upwards :D
  • Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    It sounds like a bad day NG, keep both your chin and feet up and relax.
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
  • newgirly
    Forumite
    Hi Peonie, thanks for popping in :)

Yesterday was a better day, I'm still getting used to working though it's psychically not that easy , coupled with starting the gym I am really tired.

I had a quick look at the accts this morning and I have about £370 to last the rest of the month on the cc for everything , plus a few hundred wages left (not sure my exact wages yet!) I still have a few presents to get , plus all the Xmas food , petrol and a few nights out. I would love to just use the £370 but I don't think that's realistic, we will see :D
  • newgirly
    Forumite
    Another crazy day, dh's new factory is having a last minute visit tomorrow by the local mp, press and the mayor so I have been scrubbing all day, followed by a stop off at the shopping centre to try and get on top of the Xmas stuff still left to buy.

My poor mum has fallen down stairs today and broken her foot in 3 places , she is currently in hospital awaiting possible surgery tomorrow (if she agrees, she is VERY reluctant!) so tomorrow I will go and visit. So we may be hosting Xmas day , not sure really I have offered as she is already worrying about it, but we have elderly relatives who can't make it upstairs to the bathroom at our house so it might be at mum and dads anyway with help from us.

I have spent a fortune today and bought dh a sonos one speaker, he has had a very tough year (or three) and I wanted to surprise him , he hasn't asked for anything but loves music and gadgets so hopefully I have done the right thing, I kept the receipt though just incase :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback