Wescot v Moorcroft ?

I could do with some advice please, around 18 months ago, maybe even 2 years now, unbeknown to me my ex-partner opened an account with an online sales company called 'Studio', the account was opened up in my name and she used my bank details and card number. This only came to light when I started getting emails asking for payment, at first I ignored them because I hadn't got a clue what it was about, eventually I started to get letters and phone calls from a debt collection company called Moorcroft, cutting a long story short.... It appears that my ex-partner ordered some kind of teddy bear but then never paid for it, which she wouldn't have been able to because by that time we had split up and she had left. I explained all this to Moorcroft and Studio and I offered to pay the £60 owed for the teddy bear, the offer was refused and they demanded £130, I said that I was not responsible for this debt and refused to pay the sum demanded. I didn't hear anything of the matter again until around a month ago when I have now started receiving letters from another debt collector, Wescot, regarding the damn teddy bear and Studio. I've repeated the whole circumstance to them and told them I don't have a clue where my ex- is now living and that I have had no contact off her for over 6 months, they are now trying to say I'm liable for this debt, despite my offer to pay the asking price of the bear these people are still trying to get £130 off me for a debt that I didn't create... can anyone please give me some advice?

Thank you.... Jon T.

Comments

• Yea, you have to pay that pretty much then try and claim it back from your ex. She used your details which is fraud, the companies in question weren't to know it wasn't you typing your details in.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You have three choices.

(A) Report the matter as fraud to the police, get a crime number, send that, along with a covering letter to the DCA.

(B) Pay the money they are demanding and chalk it up to experience.

As she used your details, the company concerned was acting in good faith, in order to resolve it legally, you must do (A).

Or if you don't want the hassle, its (B),

(C) you could ignore it, as its a very small amount, it will go away after a while.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure