PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Comments

• Jettycat
    Jettycat Posts: 71 Forumite
    KAT44 wrote: »
    Just finished reading the entire thread and would like to say that you ladies are inspirational, so much so that I have been dragged out of my lurkers comfort zone to register and post, which I would have done much sooner but the perfectionism part of me wouldn't let me until I'd read every post (I have problems I know).

I did that too ... couldn't bear to post without having read from the beginning ... funny how we have similar traits here :eek:
    Thanks to the OP for starting this thread it's made me look around and evaluate the things around me in a new light and although I do try to declutter the deliberation over every item that leaves and the stress of trying to create the perfect ebay listing should I decide to sell it means it takes me forever.

Humm, and that. However, since de-lurking and feeling encouraged to get rid of some stuff my ebay listings over the weekend weren't (sshhhh!) perfect as I had to get them all on before the free weekend was over. A quarter are now selling and still 4 or 5 days left, so feeling quite pleased :)
    All that just to ask could I please join you, might give me the inspiration I need to speed up before the bedroom ceiling collapses on me in my sleep due to the overloaded loft.

Welcome!
  • KAT44_2
    KAT44_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    omg Jettycat my soulmate, lol. Thought it was just me especially with regard to having to read every post b4 posting myself.

3 days free listing and out of a houseful of carp I've managed to put 5 items on ebay (hangs head in shame). Even worse I will continually check the listings until they end and should they sell will worry that they're not good enough until I recieve positive feedback (even though they are as new and I've never had a neg). Sometimes I plain hate being me it's too much like hard work:(.
    Be strong because things will get better...it might be stormy now but it can't rain forever!!
  • It's late but that's 2 huge cardboard boxes emptied, one glass of wine down my throat, found my pots and pans so they are freshly washed and put away in kitchen cupboard.

Rearranged the boxes so I can close loo door now..:D ooh privacy at
    last.

Few bags for charity shop and have joined local Freecycle and stuck on all the computer leads and phone chargers.

Will look at how to sell on EBay, bought plenty and have lots of clothes and household items to sell, I mean who needs 5 radiosa and multiples of everything:rotfl:

Ok am off to bed will have a lie in this morning then take things to charity shop and tip, feels a lot lighter in here...
    :D
    :eek::eek: How much?? You have got to be joking!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks for the welcome :).
    That's been a massive part of my problem a huge loft so everything has had a place :o. I was good at decluttering when the discarded items where going in the loft (i.e not really leaving) problem is it's now overflowing.
    I love it if someone visits and expresses a need for a certain item, if there's one in the loft I'm up them loft ladders quicker than a squirrel up a tree, happy to see said item go to it's new home. It's finding the perfect home for everything that's the problem, maybe I need to get a talking bin that asks me for a different item daily.:)
    :j Welcome kat44, we're glad you stepped out into the light. By gum, this thread could deprive any number of therapists of a livlihood, eh?

My Mum is like you in the respect of if she knows anyone in want of anything, she's off into a cupboard to fetch one for them. It shows both you and she have generous souls.

You can definately get that warm-and-fuzzy feedback from Freecyle/ Freegle, although you do meet the odd ingrate, most people are lovely. I've even done reciprocal Freecycling; chosen someone who once gave me some boxes from among several after my offering. I recognised their username; she didn't remind me of our previous encounter until thanking me after the pick-up and I just grinned and said I know, that's why they went to you.

If it might help, could you think of the eventual purchasers of items you donate to the c.s. as friends you haven't met yet? I feel very kindly towards the stranger who donated the couch I bought earlier this year. It's immaculate and they could have sold it, instead they gave it to the c.s. who sold it to me. THe (local) charity benefitted and will be using that money to help disabled people in my area and I have a couch I love and which should serve for the next decade. And the older couch was Freecycled so will be doing someone a turn. Win-win.

I don't have a candle-making kit but I do have a half-prepped turn-old-candle-stubs-into-new-candles project in my shed and must get some wicking and get on with that.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Jettycat
    Jettycat Posts: 71 Forumite
    omg Jettycat my soulmate, lol. Thought it was just me especially with regard to having to read every post b4 posting myself.

3 days free listing and out of a houseful of carp I've managed to put 5 items on ebay (hangs head in shame). Even worse I will continually check the listings until they end and should they sell will worry that they're not good enough until I recieve positive feedback (even though they are as new and I've never had a neg). Sometimes I plain hate being me it's too much like hard work:(.

OMG, I have been continually checking and thinking I should add info to the listings, AND I will worry until I get feedback to say they are ok. As you say being me/you is hard work :(

I have used Freecycle / Freegle and it did help to know who my items were going to. Only trouble is I cancelled my membership of the local groups (I live on the border of 4 groups so joined all 4) as I was spending too much time reading the offers and I now don't seem to be able to join again to get rid or more things. I will have to try harder!

xxx
  • Morning all.

Sent LIR a message, she's OK but a bit busy at the moment with various things. Hopefully she'll pop her head round at some point to say hello.

I am down to three finger typing today as my fingers have decided they aren't going to move at all this morning. All well and good for rheumatology. Not great for me, though. But at least the bus that goes past the hospital stops just round the corner, so I won't be faffing around with tons of changes, especially as people look and see someone who can't possibly feel the need to sit down.....

Ah well, I shall brave the kitchen for some coffee and maybe some toast in a minute - I don't have to leave for 90 minutes, so it's a lazy start to the day.

Oh, and the Animal Hospital job I applied for doesn't seem to have been successful. I wonder if it could possibly have anything to do with the person I saw being shown round there three days before the closing date who is now doing the job I applied for..... :cool:

Never mind, I'm a bit busy right now, anyway, with this nonstop rollercoaster, rock and roll lifestyle :D
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Jojo sent out a search party and i am popping in to reassure everyone i am not lying under a heap of my own Richard.

The Wreck has had builders in for, um, two months now, and we are over half way through phase one, but it is hampering decluttering, because, frankly, there is little room to move. The sitting room is ok. And thats about it atm. The room the dogs sleep in has a dishwasher, a bin of dog food, a few boxes of storecupboard food. The temporary kitchen is fun, bbut would be trying long term..i have a complicated rubix cube of boxes, three storecupboard ones, three pots and pans ones.

We are thinking about putting in a proper bathroom over winter too, which would certaonly be great but we would lose our box room, and ou just know that is stuffed full of stuff, and our spare bedroom. The spare bedroom worries me more. When we can put people up in a downstairs room...or give them our room and we decamp down stairs, the furniture from there has to go somewhere. Thats not so bad, a small wardrobe, a chest of drawers and the horrid ikea bed, (which is going to be come garden furniture, i need to think how to protect the mattress though, and make a winter cover out of tarp for it, but hopefully that will be done before christmas, when we have some room back.

Also, parent has finished moving in, and has filled their room AND the entire landing. More horrifc still are attempts to be organised, dozens of plastic boxes (my worst nightmare, i know they just mean failure to deal with and inaccessibilty of what you do need, and they are probably a major factor in my parents relationship breakdown).

Parent is also a big shopper. It drives me crazy. I try to run a tight ship, and have explained, especially in such flux, meal planning and controlled purchasing is helpful, parent brings home random packets of bacon and junk food (which makes me bite tongue...parent is diabetic)

So, i am alive, just not decluttering atm. I am also wondering what we should call the wreck when the builders have finished because while it still will not be an ordinary finished house, it won't have the same gaping holes my hand fits in between inside and outside and it will have heating. Actual heating, imagine!!
  • bobble_hat
    bobble_hat Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well hello fellow De-Richarders.

Welcome KAT44 and Kouzapastella (and good luck)

Well done
    valk_scot for your moment of realisation and wise purchasing.

And Dumpy Nothing under your bed! I can't get anything under mine unless I lift it up, which I was contemplating for seasonal clothes storage, but you've made me reconsider. :beer:
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Dunno where he is now, I left him in a pub in the Lakes........careless of me, I know, but he was far too young for me. He has curly hair and drives a red Mini so mebbe she can flag him down somewhere..............?:)
    whitewing wrote: »
    Is that a decluttering technique, for when the goods are too big to catflap?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

smileyt
    - That's good going :T
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I have come to the conclusion that all the good women are spoken-for, all the bad women are charging and the fact that I have all my own teeth is a mark in my favour.
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jojo - hope the hands calm down for you.

So last night, I....
    • Walked the dog
    • Picked up DD
    • Dropped 2 bags of clothes into the BHF charity bin
    • Got DD to bed
    • Dusted and vacuumed through the whole of downstairs, including putting all DH's magazines (which were on the floor) into proper magazine files (IKEA) and removing old magazine rack into car-boot pile.
    • Hung DD's portrait photos in new frame (IKEA) onto wall
    • Cleaned downstairs loo
    This was all so I didn't have to tackle the huge pile of washing which needs sorting :o

This morning I dropped DD off at MILs with 18 empty jam jars for her next door neighbour who is currently making jams and chutneys and has run out of jars. Brilliant as these were going to go on freecyle, I will happily accept 1 jar back into the house provided it is full of aforementioned jam or chutney (maybe 2 jars then...:o)

Also dropped a huge pile of books into the BHF charity bin this morning.

Must work, happy de-Richarding peeps :T :T
    "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." (Montgomery, L.M.(1908). Anne of Green Gables.)
    Debt Free Nerd No. 186 Debt was £16,534.03 Now £9,588.50
  • bobble_hat
    bobble_hat Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So, i am alive, just not decluttering atm. I am also wondering what we should call the wreck when the builders have finished because while it still will not be an ordinary finished house, it won't have the same gaping holes my hand fits in between inside and outside and it will have heating. Actual heating, imagine!!

Hee hee The Resurwrecktion :A
    "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." (Montgomery, L.M.(1908). Anne of Green Gables.)
    Debt Free Nerd No. 186 Debt was £16,534.03 Now £9,588.50
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I just discovered one of my underbed drawers has collapsed due, no doubt, to the weight of bargain Body Shop body butters in there. :rotfl:

I am going to have to jemmy the front off, remove the body butters and then hope to pull the rest of the drawer out relatively intact so I can mend it. But really, who has more body butters than they can use in this lifetime, nearly? I could understand it if they were Herbal Essences shampoo (who remembers the famous Boots Herbal Essences glitch then?) but even at discount, Body Shop products cost hard cash. How much money have I got tied up in "bargains" in this house? I'm beginning to realise that having huge stocks of some things isn't always very money saving, is it? Unless they were actually free.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport