'Do you believe in the BBC licence fee?' poll discussion

Comments

• I don't own a TV set as I would watch it for probably 2 hours a week or less, I might have one if I didn't have to a pay a tax for it but as long as I do it would represent pathetic value for money.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • hopefully when teh proper digital switchover is complete we should be able to choose wether or not to receive bbc services as we do sky packages. at the moment i think its ridiculous what is charged for teh tv license and then you read teh bbc has spent 1million quid of it on cgi hippos swimming.
    also i barely watch BBC. i watch doctor who and i listen to radio 1 maybe 2 hours a week on the bus which for me personally is no way near worth £150 and i could happily live without if i had teh choice.

it annoys me that teh BBC basically force you to buy their product as its illegal not to have a tv license wether you watch BBC or not, in a way its like if microsoft charged you £150 to use Internet explorer for every PC user and made it the law that if u use teh net you have to pay teh fee wether u used firefox, IE or any other browser.

For me personally i think teh BBC are worried about the digital switch over because they will lose too much revenue by peopel choosing not to have the 'BBC Package' and once TV is digital teh service can and should be implemented that if u dont want to receive it you shudnt have to
  • My objection to the license fee system is that I'm forced to pay for these channels whether I choose to watch them or not. If Rupert Murdoch was to introduce such a system and spread it to everyone who owned a telly throughout the land, riots would ensue much like when the poll tax system was introduced. I want to be able to choose whether the Beeb offer value for the programming they offer and not have it forced upon me for merely owning a TV.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If there had been a bbc on adverts this recession as well as the other channels then its certain that a few would have folded owing to lack of advertising. Not only that we would just have another channel which buys American progs and recycles old ones. Just how many more channels will put on startrek (and I like startrek) Just watch how many times a week the same film shows up day after day. Some progs are repeated up to 3 times a day. No lets keep the licence and get new, fresh progs. (yes I do know they repeat some, thats to pay for the likes of J.R.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • It is an archaic system and an unfair tax. Of course, the BBC is well aware that in the free ad driven market, they would not be able to compete as people simply would not pay the license fee and quite happily do without BBC, repeats and all. Surely, the BBC funding system is on borrowed time!
  • ehlo
    ehlo Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with the license fee. Rather than cut the license cost, I'd rather see the BBC maximise the money it has.

For example, there seems to be so much competition between channels for sports matches. Why not let just someone else have them? It isn't like they're not popular and so no other channel will pick them up. However I think that popular matches should be on free-to-air TV. I think it is unfair for people to have to pay for Sky or similar for certain matches.

Then there are films which the BBC has started showing. People who really want films probably already have Sky Movies and those who don't have a local blockbuster!

The BBC also seems to have cut down the budget on many popular programs such as Doctor Who, Torchwood and Spooks to make room for reality TV. There seems to be loads of dance shows now which take up far too much time on the TV
  • j_jay4
    j_jay4 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Seriously how can anyone deny the BBC of the license fee, it is one of the best organisations on the planet producing a huge amount of entertainment, Ad-Free!!!!!! If you don't know what adverts are turn on any commercial radio station and listen to half a dozen adverts after every song that usually involves the use of inane stupid catchy 1 line songs repeated so many times a day your brain is eventually filled with them. I'm sure I'm not allowed to repeat any on this forum but directory enquiry services and comparison websites are amongst the main culprits. They are appalling, verging on unethical and beyond irritating. The BBC is a godsend and let it live a long and prosperous life, at least until my hearing has left and I am no longer subject to the torturous lyrics of webuyanycar.com
  • jessilu1
    jessilu1 Posts: 12,641 Forumite
    lewist wrote: »
    I'm happy to pay the licence fee to be free of ads. They destroy programmes on other channels. Not everything on the BBC is to my taste, and some of it is awful, but the documentaries on BBC 2 & 4 are well worth paying for. The website is also outstanding. Leave it alone!

:T:T:T I totally agree
    Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for the whole cow.
  • jessilu1
    jessilu1 Posts: 12,641 Forumite
    j_jay4 wrote: »
    Seriously how can anyone deny the BBC of the license fee, it is one of the best organisations on the planet producing a huge amount of entertainment, Ad-Free!!!!!! If you don't know what adverts are turn on any commercial radio station and listen to half a dozen adverts after every song that usually involves the use of inane stupid catchy 1 line songs repeated so many times a day your brain is eventually filled with them. I'm sure I'm not allowed to repeat any on this forum but directory enquiry services and comparison websites are amongst the main culprits. They are appalling, verging on unethical and beyond irritating. The BBC is a godsend and let it live a long and prosperous life, at least until my hearing has left and I am no longer subject to the torturous lyrics of webuyanycar.com

..and again :T:T:T my sentiments exactly
    Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for the whole cow.
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    I got rid of my TV last February and all my radios.

I don't think the BBC should get any money, really, let them show adverts.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport