A natural pick me up remedy

Comments

• Bubby
    Bubby Posts: 793 Forumite
    Thanks for all the helpful tips:)

I have always liked my sleep:o but since having children my immune system has taken a complete battering, it doesn't help that before having children I was always slim and am now overweight:o:o. This adds to me feeling tired and I am sure that the lack of sunshine (from being in the house) also adds to my picking up every bug going. My eldest seems very similar in that she will pick up lots of colds etc but has always been like it as a baby and does have certain allergies which makes it worse.

I put alot of effort into making sure they don't eat too many sweets and making sure they eat lots of fruit and veg and are generally healthy but obviously don't put the same effort into myself:o

For me I need a kick up the rear and I know alot of people wouldn't like this but I would actually like the doctos to tell me to lose weight as it would be the push I needed:)
  • claireac
    claireac Posts: 983 Forumite
    Sounds horrible and I know how you feel. I always used to get tonsilitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis etc when I got run down.

I know a lot of people on here don't rate "alternative" medicines - but I do! :D I take echinacea drops to boost my immune system, and if my diet hasn't been great then I'll also take vitamin c and zinc.

Of course you should be eating a healthy diet and getting lots of different fruits and veges.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Bubby
    Any tips for treating the really sore throat I now have been left with?
    Finding it difficult to even drink:(:(
  • melymay
    melymay Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ginger tea works for me if you have that queasy feeling from antibiotics . .and is a bit numbing for the throat at the same time . .just grate or chop some ginger in boiling water and leave for a bit. . add bit of honey ifd you don't want it so spicey ! HTH:D
  • Bubby
    Not queasy (sp) just got glands up and really really sore throat. I did mention to doc last week as it was just starting as I was finishing antibiotics but he couldn't really be bothered to have a look and said its all part and parcel of the ear infection:(

I know it will pass eventually and it is more than likely a virus so I wouldn't need antibiotics but I am really feeling like I have had enough and it is making me feel very depressed:(:(
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds awful Bubby! Seems like you need lots of rest, as far as possible. Could the kids stay with a friend for a couple of days perhaps?

Honey is great for sore throats, and even if it is difficult to drink, keep your liquid intake up! Peppermint tea is also good for queasiness, and with a bit of honey is quite soothing for your throat. Honey and lemon is a good old fashioned standby, and with a bit of ginger in it can help too. Almost any hot, non-dairy drink (teas, hot cordial, soup, bovril etc) will help. Juice is good too, as well as good old plain water.

Ear infections are the pits, I know! If your eustation tubes (that drain the middle ear into the throat) are blocked, you can ask the doc for a general decongestant and/or a nasal spray to help that, and also try the old trick of breathing steam with a bit of vicks/olbas in the water.

I also agree with lots of pro-biotics after anti-biotics, but if you are 'snotty' then take the supplements rather than eating yoghurt, as the dairy tends to increase mucus production and could make you more bunged up.

When I feel really grotty, run down and tired, a 'berocca' type supplement with B vitamins usually helps - especially the fizzy ones rather than tablets, for some reason.

Some people swear by echinacea. I think it does help your immune system a bit, though not as much as is claimed. Could be worth a try, at least. I once got some lozenges with it in from Holland and Barret, and those were quite soothing for the sore throat.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • I really feel for you as I'm prone to ear/throat infections when run down.

Lots of immune system boosting things like garlic, ginger, vitamin c. Echinacea supplements help some people. Lots of zinc and iron. I like to eat stir fried spinach and other green leafy things when run down.

Honey is a natural antiseptic, so I make ginger/honey tea when my throat is playing up.

Just made a stir fry with ginger, garlic, fresh chilli, spring onions, couple of heads of Pak Choi chopped up, oyster mushrooms. Slug of Oyster sauce and serve with jasmine rice. That'll sort you out!
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Try gargling with warm salt water, steam inhalation can help, and up your fluid intake. U=If it's getting worse or lasts more than a few days go back to your GP.
  • Bubby
    Thanks for the tips:T I am going to pop into my local health food shop tomorrow and see if I can dose myself up. I have gone through bottles of honey as I always use that with lemon first. I will speak to the pharmacist aswell although they always seem reluctant to help and just refer me back to the doc (who is well aware of my throat but unable to help)

Heres hoping that I will be recovered for my holiday in a few weeks
  • Bubby
    Well I discovered Dequacain throat sweets which are brilliant, I thought I had used them before but it was Dequadin I had used before.

I am going back to the doctors tomorrow (can't get in today) as one side of my throat and neck is sooooooo painful that I am finding it difficult to swallow:(:( plus my ears are still painful. Its very bizarre when I blow my nose either side the side that isn't hurting is clear and the side that is so painful is a horrible green colour (sorry tmi:o) which I have never had before. I am sure the doctor is going to send me away telling me its a virus though:(:(

It has been 2 weeks now since it all started:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport