Credit Card Reward Schemes Discussion Area

Comments

• There is a way of getting further benefits by using two different cashback credit cards in tandem. First ensure that the statement dates of each card are about two weeks apart. If the statement date of card 1 is, say, 15th of the month then use it for purchases made between 15th and 31st of the month. Similarly, if the statement date of card 2 is 1st of the month then use it for purchases made from 1st to 15th of the month. This ensures that you substantially increase the period of credit you obtain before having to pay for the purchases you have made.
  • Having had no success using my bmi miles to book a flight ( always 'no seats available') I considered spending them on the alternatives offered by bmi diamond club and discovered that my 40,000 miles were worth just £25 in M&S vouchers!
    However had I wanted to buy bmi miles to 'top-up' I would have to pay £12 per 1000
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,494
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have also found BMI miles to be of little use. The routes they offer are very limited. It does not seem to offer all the Star Alliance routes.
    koru
  • Bruce_
    Bruce_ Posts: 12 Forumite
    Now that Skycard has been axed, I'm looking for an alternative. I want a non-Amex card, that will give cash-lite, not flights or car discounts. The reward card from HBOS seems best. Maybe a creditcard company will offer an incentive to ex-skycard customers.
  • Is the Play.com credit card from MBNA worth it? As far as I can make out it gives the equivalent of 1% cashback to spend at play.com. Is there any chance of me getting the card considering I'm just about to start university and have virtually no credit history and is there anything about the card that I should be aware of? Thanks
  • mememememe wrote: »
    Is the Play.com credit card from MBNA worth it? As far as I can make out it gives the equivalent of 1% cashback to spend at play.com. Is there any chance of me getting the card considering I'm just about to start university and have virtually no credit history and is there anything about the card that I should be aware of? Thanks

I have the card and it's definitely worth it IMO, so long as you're happy to buy stuff from Play. I find getting the vouchers really easy although there is a thread on here by people who have had problems.

As to whether you'd get the card as a student - no idea, sorry! I suppose you can but try - though I'd recommend sorting a student bank account first (as they may need to do a credit check for an overdraft) before trying to sort any credit cards out.

Also, presuming you still live at home with your parents and have lived at the same place for a while, apply before you go off to uni halls or whatever as living at the same address for a while does help with credit applications.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Number 1225
    £365 in £365 Days 2013
    No Buying Toiletries 2013
  • I have the card and it's definitely worth it IMO, so long as you're happy to buy stuff from Play. I find getting the vouchers really easy although there is a thread on here by people who have had problems.

As to whether you'd get the card as a student - no idea, sorry! I suppose you can but try - though I'd recommend sorting a student bank account first (as they may need to do a credit check for an overdraft) before trying to sort any credit cards out.

Also, presuming you still live at home with your parents and have lived at the same place for a while, apply before you go off to uni halls or whatever as living at the same address for a while does help with credit applications.

Thanks for the reply:T Hmm I think I've found that thread - I suppose I could change to a different credit card if needbe, good to hear you're happy with it though! I got my student bank account (Halifax) last Tuesday and still am living with my parents until uni so I'll apply for the play.com card soon. Would be great if someone knows whether I'd likely be accepted/rejected as a student thanks.
  • Somebody
    Somebody Posts: 110
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Dan wrote: »
    Hi stphnstevey

Thanks for your suggestions. Citi Shell card isn't currently available to new customers though; only those cards are included in the comparison, as it is impossible to keep up to date on what all old cashback/rewards cards pay.

Received notification that the Shell rewards will be reduced as of 1 October:

1% on Shell fuel purchases;
    0.25% on other purchases.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,719
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In the article, The Co-operative Members' Credit card would seem to be a mentionable "straight payer" - you get 0.5% cashback on all purchases (and 1% cashback in co-op stores) but co-operative dividend is a cash payment (direct to bank account or vouchers that can not just be spent but also cashed in store) - it is not necessary to use the cashback at the co-op, or indeed ever shop at the co-op. There is also no upper-ceiling on the cashback, like the Bank of Ireland card mentioned.

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206368467,CFSweb/Page/Bank-CreditCards?WT.svl=copy
  • Hi

I have just accepted a new job with a lot of travelling for which I will need a credit card

The company uses BA for most of its flights and I'm expecting to spend approx £13,000 a year with the bill being fully paid (through expenses) at the end of each month

The site says you'd need to spend £45,000 to justify it but as my spending will be with BA I would get 3 points per mile

Would these figures justify the £150 fee to get the BA premium card

Yours in confusion!:o

PS sorry if this is in the wrong section!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure