Do NOT pay Wescot Credit Services!

Please note: I will be paying my outstanding debt in full and advise everyone reading this to do the same, just not how Wescot wants you to.
I am writing to all the good people out there who could be getting seriously ripped off and conned. I owe o2 UK about £250 for a contract on a mobile that I no longer use. I had been rather busy working and moving home and had completely forgotten about it, until a friend of my boyfriends family came round to my office with a letter addressed to his mothers house where we lived three years ago. The letter was from Wescot credit services Ltd and it said we had 14 days to pay £748.62 plus legal expenses of £135 making that a total of £883.62. If we don't pay up then we will have to go to court. I was a little shocked (mainly at the amount they are demanding) but not particularly upset or scared. I decided to do some research and have found out a few interesting things for those of you who may have got a letter. The original company you owe money to (whoever it may be) has actually sold the debt onto Wescot and has already received money from their insurers (which have been put in place to protect said company from people like me!) Wescot then take it upon themselves to send a letter to the person in question (me) asking for a sum of money. The person usually gets scared and fears debt collectors, attachment of earnings and court appearances so quickly rings the company and either pays the amount in full or pays in monthly instalments. Both of which is completely unnecessary. Wescot has actually made up a completely false sum of money (literally out of a hat I expect!) which isn't even close to what I know I owe and randomly sent me a red demanding letter to an address which even o2 know I don't live at now! The reason they do this is because they know they can get away with it. After all, they know you have money outstanding with said company so you don't question it when you read the letter because you already know you owe the company money. I have also found out that when people got in contact with the original company and pay them directly in full they refused to inform Wescot for some reason... maybe because they received a lot of money when Wescot bought the debt off them! So Wescot unfortunately continue to write letters (even if you've payed it) BUT if you pay the original company the amount you owe in full and get that in writing or can prove it on your bank statements (backed up with the original letters from the original company asking for the money) to cut this terribly long winded blog very short Wescot don't have a flipping leg to stand on!!! (if it comes to this) In court if you can prove that you have payed the company directly there is absolutely nothing they can do. The original company will be more then happy to do this as they would have received a grand total of three payments: 1) Their insurers 2) Wescots themselves (when the brought the debt) and 3) You! Fair deal I say. What Wescot is doing is completly legal and I'm not saying that they are 'con artists' and to ignore the letters but instead of going through them cut out the middle man and go straight to the root of the problem and I can assure you there is nothing Wescot can do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

Comments

• This happened to my dh although different supplier and different cca.We sent the mobile company the money, bought the account up to date and are continuing with the contract.
  • For most people theres no need to pay Wescot or any other debt collection company. Why should you pay when most other people don’t? Here are my suggestions on how NOT to pay, based on my success in avoiding payment on 4 debts recently and being chased by Wescot Credit Services on the last 2

- DONT respond to letters. They will send 3 or 4 over a couple of months but unless your debt is big and you own a house they will probably give up after a while. They don’t have many powers to do anything

- DONT respond to telephone messages – these usually stoped after a couple of weeks

- If you get chased a lot by the same company and feel harassed then complain to the OFT at

Enquiries and Reporting Centre
    Office of Fair Trading
    Fleetbank House
    2-6 Salisbury Square
    London
    EC4Y 8JX

This worked well for me and I didn’t hear from them again on that one!

- If they do get hold of you deny the debt is yours and ask them to prove it. This will at least delay them a couple of weeks and may force them to write off your debt

- If you really do want to pay something then make sure you agree a low figure like £10 a month and don’t pay anything straigt away. They will probably ask for proof of income and ask when you get paid, in which case ask them for a form that you can fill out and return so you have time to think about your answers. I did this and then they seemed to forget about me when I didn’t send it back!

Does anyone have any other tips?
  • meeka1000 wrote: »
    Please note: I will be paying my outstanding debt in full and advise everyone reading this to do the same, just not how Wescot wants you to.
    I am writing to all the good people out there who could be getting seriously ripped off and conned. I owe o2 UK about £250 for a contract on a mobile that I no longer use. I had been rather busy working and moving home and had completely forgotten about it, until a friend of my boyfriends family came round to my office with a letter addressed to his mothers house where we lived three years ago. The letter was from Wescot credit services Ltd and it said we had 14 days to pay £748.62 plus legal expenses of £135 making that a total of £883.62. If we don't pay up then we will have to go to court. I was a little shocked (mainly at the amount they are demanding) but not particularly upset or scared. I decided to do some research and have found out a few interesting things for those of you who may have got a letter. The original company you owe money to (whoever it may be) has actually sold the debt onto Wescot and has already received money from their insurers (which have been put in place to protect said company from people like me!) Wescot then take it upon themselves to send a letter to the person in question (me) asking for a sum of money. The person usually gets scared and fears debt collectors, attachment of earnings and court appearances so quickly rings the company and either pays the amount in full or pays in monthly instalments. Both of which is completely unnecessary. Wescot has actually made up a completely false sum of money (literally out of a hat I expect!) which isn't even close to what I know I owe and randomly sent me a red demanding letter to an address which even o2 know I don't live at now! The reason they do this is because they know they can get away with it. After all, they know you have money outstanding with said company so you don't question it when you read the letter because you already know you owe the company money. I have also found out that when people got in contact with the original company and pay them directly in full they refused to inform Wescot for some reason... maybe because they received a lot of money when Wescot bought the debt off them! So Wescot unfortunately continue to write letters (even if you've payed it) BUT if you pay the original company the amount you owe in full and get that in writing or can prove it on your bank statements (backed up with the original letters from the original company asking for the money) to cut this terribly long winded blog very short Wescot don't have a flipping leg to stand on!!! (if it comes to this) In court if you can prove that you have payed the company directly there is absolutely nothing they can do. The original company will be more then happy to do this as they would have received a grand total of three payments: 1) Their insurers 2) Wescots themselves (when the brought the debt) and 3) You! Fair deal I say. What Wescot is doing is completly legal and I'm not saying that they are 'con artists' and to ignore the letters but instead of going through them cut out the middle man and go straight to the root of the problem and I can assure you there is nothing Wescot can do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

I think I understand what you are saying,Wescot are trying to get back as much money from the debt as they can,surely they have a legal right to take you to court and get back some ,or all the money they paid to take the debt on.Or do they have no legal right to do this,and are just trying it on,to scare people into paying something, they are no longer legally required to do,as the debt has been cleared by the original companies insurers.
  • hullight
    hullight Posts: 524 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2011 at 6:02PM
    The fact that the original creditor accepted the payment suggests the debt was not sold to Wescot.

I know people love to bash big business but I don't think O2 would accept a payment of several hundred pounds knowing that they aren't entitled to it.

When the debt is paid to Wescot they will likely get a cut of it, meaning the bad debtor has cost O2 a little bit but not as much as selling the debt at a silly price.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    The debt is not often cleared by insurers. The debt is sold for peanuts and the balance becomes a tax write off.

The purchaser CAN chase the full outstanding balance.
    What they can't do is add any interest and charges unless the original agreement has explicit terms / clauses that this can be done in the event the debt is sold on - and they usually don't.

Therefore, 99% of the time, if a dca has added charges and fees, they are illegal and can be challenged.........;)

Edit.

You need to clarify if the dca OWNS the debt, or is just acting on behalf of........
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • Oneday77
    Oneday77 Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 June 2011 at 9:22PM
    This thread is 2 years old and was mostly written by 2 single time posters.
    Please let this thread die.

Most of the original post was nonsense and will only confuse people coming here for good advice.
    New PV club member. 3.99kW system. Solar Edge with 14 x 285W JA Solar panels. 55° West from south and 35° pitch.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Oneday77 wrote: »
    This thread is 2 years old and was mostly written by 2 singke time posters.
    Please let this thread die.

Most of the original post was nonsense and will only confuse people coming here for good advice.

Well thank you wannabe mod.........
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well recently I found out I owed money to o2 and then they sold it to Moorcroft, I called o2 and they didn't want to know as the debt no longer was for them... So the actually led me back to the debt collector...
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • meeka1000 wrote: »

What Wescoat are doing is not legal in Scotland. They cannot have anyone doorstep call as they put it without a court order. They cant get a court order because the are not the creditor and the creditor wont waste money on suing you in the small claims court. Therefore Wescoat cannot prove your owe money and therefore legally cannot do anything. They simply try to intimidate you into paying money. dont pay them and just ignore them. after 6 months they cant pursue you. In fact you could make a complaint of intimidation and harassment.
  • highway15 wrote: »
    I think I understand what you are saying,Wescot are trying to get back as much money from the debt as they can,surely they have a legal right to take you to court and get back some ,or all the money they paid to take the debt on.Or do they have no legal right to do this,and are just trying it on,to scare people into paying something, they are no longer legally required to do,as the debt has been cleared by the original companies insurers.

If you owe anyone money, they must take you to court and prove you owe them money. You dont under any circumstances owe wescoat money. Wescoat are paid to recover this purported debt and the only way they can is if you call them on their 0845 number and admit the debt. they cannot take you to court nor can they call at your home (in Scotland) without a court order. If you feel you must call them then you deny the debt or say it is disputed. Legally they must go back to the creditor who must contact you to attempt to settle what is disputed, however always deny and then pay the credito directly and only pay what is due not all these charges which they lump on as they are also illegal. Best thing to do is ignore them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure