article, all about

Babysitting

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• mcmog
    mcmog Posts: 15 Forumite
    Could anyone with kids tell me what the going rate for babysitting is these days? It might be ideal for me as I'm CRB-checked and stuff, I just remember as a teenager spending seven hours waiting for some brat's parents to come home and all for a fiver!
  • kisto
    kisto Posts: 7,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The two times I have been out this year and I had to use a babysitter I paid between £4 - £5 an hour. No idea whether this is right. Hence....I don't go out often!
    :T*Thanks to all who posts comps * :j
  • Isn't £4 under min wage? :p
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • Most babysitters are younger than minimum wage eligibility though
    £4000 challenge

Currently leftover - £3872.15
  • Smickan
    Smickan Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    mcmog wrote: »
    Could anyone with kids tell me what the going rate for babysitting is these days? It might be ideal for me as I'm CRB-checked and stuff, I just remember as a teenager spending seven hours waiting for some brat's parents to come home and all for a fiver!

22 and still do it for exactly that much ;) And I'm CRB checked too!

£10 for a full day as in 9-3 (it used to be that much for a full day for 4 kids too :rolleyes:) and fiver for 6-10 on a night.

I know I'm being taken for a mug but I love the kids, I've grown up looking after them.
  • code-a-holic
    code-a-holic Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    I pay £15 a night to my babysitter - but she is my sister. Surprised by people thinking thats expensive though. She stays all night so we could crawl back in early hours if we wanted! We usually home by 11pm!
    I remember babysitting in my teens for about £10. As we are very rural where i grow up and live now i used to sleep on the sofa and get taken home next day.
  • I would love to get some baby sitting work, I tried putting up notices in local shops last Christmas time and never heard a thing, anyone got any tips for go places to put up notices?
    A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Tabby Kitten, just be persistent with the notices in shops etc. If you can get references and have a CRB check put that on the ad as it's important to a lot of parents and will make them more likely to contact you. I do lots of babysitting and now it's mainly via word of mouth as parents tell other familiesn if they know a reliable babysitter.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Sorry forgot to say that I have recently increased my hourly rate to £5.00 if it's in my town, or £7.00 if it's a town say 20 mins drive away (extra petrol). I have a childcare qualification and CRB check.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • mcmog wrote: »

You weren't the only one...:rolleyes: Except I had 5 to look after and the parents came home at 2am...all for £5 and left to walk home alone. And that was only(!) 20 years ago.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport