IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

parking eye - help!!

hi, i've been recieving letters from parking eye after overstaying at a car park in Derby.
i researched into parking eye on the Internet and found a previous thread of several people in the same situation on this site and they were all being advised to NOT pay the fine at all costs, as this is simply a threat - as the fine isn't from the council or the police it wasn't enforceable.
however, today I have received a letter headed 'claim form'
with a breakdown of:
amount claimed: £80.00
court fee: £25.00
solicitors costs: £50.00
total amount: £155.00

does this mean i'm being summoned to court?
i'm only 20 years old and this is quite daunting for me, do can anyone please give me factual advice of what to do now!
thank you!

Comments

• kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there a court stamp on it anywhere?

If you aren't sure can you scan it - taking out any ref numbers, name and address etc and post it up?

PS, age has nothing to do with it tbh as anyone of any age can be alarmed with things like this. No need to panic though.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • shebs_2
    shebs_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    yes it has a Northampton (CCBC) county court stamp on it...
    quite scared to be honest :-(
    thank you for replying!!
  • kittiej
    What does it say in the particulars of claim?
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • shebs_2
    edited 5 May 2014 at 12:03PM
    claim for the monies outstanding from the defendant, as registered keeper, in relation to a Parking Charge, issued 17-10-12, for parking without authority on private land. ParkingEye?s automated number plate recognition (ANPR) system, monitoring McDonalds Derby, Kingsway, Derby De224AA captured vehicle [my registration] entering and leaving the car park, overstaying the max time.
    the signage, clearly displayed at the entrance to and throughout the car park states that this is private land and that it is managed by parking eye ltd, and is a max stay site, along with other terms and conditions by which those who park on site agree to be bound. in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage, the Parking Charge became payable.
    Notice under the protection of freedoms act 2012 has been given under Sch 4, making the keeper liable.
    I will provide the defendant with separate detailed particulars within 14 days after the service of the claim form.

signed (text removed by MSE Forum Team) - Claimants solicitor.
  • kittiej
    edited 4 May 2013 at 2:03PM
    Have you acknowledged service for this? You need to and ask that it be transferred to your local county court.

There are a number of issues which immediately come to mind but let's see what the more detailed POC says, I wouldn't want to put ideas in to their bubble headed brains.

Don't forget that just because PE say something exists or is true does not mean that this is the actual truth.
  • shebs_2
    sorry that doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand what you mean :-(
  • kittiej
    Does it say you need to acknowledge service within 14 days? If not what does it say about replying?
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As these look like real court papers I suggest that you go & start a thread over here http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=60 No disrespect to MSE regulars but over on PePiPoo you will get better advice on court matters & be provided with a suitable defence that will ensure that this case gets dropped.

It appears that PE are now issuing court papers for many cases where their charges have been ignored. They are hoping that a significant number of people will just pay up with this new threat. It only costs them £25 so is a good bet. When they receive a decent defence they don't proceed any further.
  • shebs_2
    yes, it says I have to reply to them within 14 days.
    I'm really worried,
    thank you both - I will post in the other forum also.
    thanks again!
  • kittiej
    This is a good opportunity to put the thumb screws on PE. You can ask them to disclose all kinds of things which they will want to keep quiet about.

Ask them to disclose the contract they have with the landowner including all landowner details.

Anyway, certainly do not panic until you receive the POC in full you don't really know what they are going to bullsh1t you with.

Good luck!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure