PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 14th August 2017

Options

Comments

• Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday to Small, hope you have a lovely birthday and you get lots of treats :D

Iona you can have plenty of spoons for today, you can even have mine if you want. I think I can spare them as I am on my "rest" day, commonly known in this house as "sleep on sofa and do absolutely nothing unless it is desperate" day after therapy yesterday. I am so sorry that DH is going through the ringer at the moment. His immune system is probably still rather weak after fighting off the pneumonia last winter and not strong enough to fight the UTI normally. He is probably feeling really sorry for himself and good thing that he isn't going to the railway this weekend, I dread to think how he would be if he did go.

Maybe if he isn't feeling too sorry for himself you could get him to do the odd simple job too, if he isn't bed bound though. That would help with your spoon situation. :D

((((Hugs)))) for you. And I'm flinging you a couple of my spoons too :D
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 August 2017 at 12:05PM
    Options
    *Healing vibes* for Mr Ionafan, bucket of spoons heading your way, Ionafan. I hope the essay writing gets easier; it's always tougher when you don't click with the subject.

I have been up to the attic to find microfibre dogblankets for going to an open air cinema tonight here only to discover they smell of dogsick. *yuk* They're twirling in the WM and with any luck they'll dry in a flash between showers.

While I was up there I sorted my jam jar collection because once the preserving season starts I can't be bothered going through box by box looking for peanut butter jars for chutneys and OH's favourite for his marmalade making etc. I think that counts as a MAD. Must pick blackberries very soon - you've inspired me Valli.
    Better is good enough.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,777 Forumite
    Options
    Hope Mr Ionafan is soon feeling better - and that you're not too tired, Ionafan.

Have ironed what was in and dry, washing blowing on line and I HAVE FINISHED A CRYPTIC CROSSWORD - I find them, and anagrams, challenging.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Valli. Can't do cryptic crosswords at all, but I quite like anagrams.

Put the microfibre blankets out, went into the kitchen and the heavens opened up. *sigh*
    Better is good enough.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday smalldizzy :)

Healing vibes to poorlies.

Had volunteering interview, went well - should hear later today which I'm pleased about. Not being patient and all that.

So I'm actually at my mums as she looked after the children but they are out collecting the othe baby from contact.

Back later to tackle the kitchen I cleaned yesterday :mad:
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,777 Forumite
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Well done Valli. Can't do cryptic crosswords at all, but I quite like anagrams.

Put the microfibre blankets out, went into the kitchen and the heavens opened up. *sigh*

it helped in that it's a local magazine so the solutions are relevant IYSWIM.

Bank statements reconciled (MAD)

Sky v. grey now...
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    A successful Flylady is one who keeps trying - (IMO - I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others) the whole point of this thread is that we acknowledge it's a mind-numbingly boring, never-ending job that none of us actually wants to do - so we are here to support each other. So if you try, and if you post then, as far as I am concerned, you're succesful.
    Absolutely right - housework is like painting the Forth Bridge; as soon as you're done, you have to start again, and it is soul destroying. Having some cyber-friends doing the same stuff, and having a bit of fun and banter and encouragement along the way makes it all bearable. :o
    lynnejk wrote: »
    Totally agree with you Valli. I also think it helps if you can find ways to make it easier and more efficient for yourself. Last year, when I broke my ankle, I found it difficult to do much at all. I finally decided to abandon my 'old' ways of doing things and invested in some 'tools'.
    Oh gods, YES!! I'm a great fan of gadgets, as long as they actually do make the task easier.
    Narc0lepsy wrote: »
    Trouble is with assessments, I have to legally keep all 'raw data' which is about 40 thicknesses of paper per student for 6 or 7 yrs and I'm running out of shelving. Great though it was, getting rid of a few other folders will seem like a drop in the ocean come Christmas when I'll have filled up a few more (1 magazine box per month seems the norm). Mr N suggested the loft, which may be reasonable as they genuinely need to be kept so it's not an excuse for dumping.
    The loft is a good idea; if you're only keeping them due to a legal requirement, not because you actually need to access them regularly, then the loft rather than your prime storage downstairs is sensible. If it were me, I'd write the date it can legally be destroyed on the outside of the box, too. ;)

A tray of very smelly dog food and a Dentastick have been eaten, and a walk in the local park taken, which included meeting Lily and Honey, a couple of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels I've known since they were puppies. Next up is a game in the garden. Not exactly "Flying" but it's necessary for Cookie's well-being. ;)
    I wonder what are my chances of prying Mr LW away from trash on t'internet to come outside with us? :think:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,020 Forumite
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Round Tuit - excellent work and am pleased you're reaping rewards. I know, after my 'awful time' how sodding hard it can be to motivate oneself to actually do stuff - and then you end up in a stagnated mentality/situation where you're overwhelmed. I have said it before - but I can quite understand how hoards build up - and then you end up being owned by your possessions and controlled by them.

Thank you Valli . It's taken a long time to get where I am, and there's a long way to go to get back to being me - but I'm heading in the right direction (currently with double medication / counselling / a long spell off work). That's why breaking the hoover momentarily flattened me - but, you know what? I didn't cry. I didn't swear either now I think of it! :T

There's a domino effect going on chez Roundtuit - I expect you've all seen it, but it's still a novelty to me :D. 1.The daily WUDUPA being done daily means that it takes less time, and so this morning I also wiped down the kettle and folded a bagful of carrier bags which was floating round the kitchen. 2. As I was putting my clean clothes away in to drawers :T I also did the same with DS's clothes and hung his shirts in his wardrobe. Feeling motivated I then took a handful of his clothes which are piled on the ottoman in my room and put them away in his drawers/ wardrobe. The plan now is, as part of the daily 'sort laundry', I'll take a handful of his clothes and put them where they belong. (And before anyone says he should be doing this himself: he would; but over the years he's learned that it's best all round to let me get on with it, or not :o as the case may be. How he ever turned out to be such a lovely well-adjusted young man is beyond me, but as a single parent I'm happy to take the credit :) ) My point is/ was that things are improving all over the place - not just where I think I'm flying

I even took a deep breath and entered the ROD1. Oh my _pale_ I've brought a bag of books down to sort into keep / cs. And then I'm going to wipe down a shelf on the bookcase in my bedroom sort the books on the shelf, and put the books I'm keeping on the clean shelf. Like I said - domino effect.

I have no idea what books are in the bag - it's like Christmas....:o

Back later to let you know it's done - hope that's ok.

Rx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Options
    Narc, can you scan and store digitally the documents x 2 (one for back up)? is that allowed, then dump the actual paperwork. Less of a fire hazard in your loft.

Just grabbed the washing in off the line as it is showering here

Hoovering all done
    Small top up shop done
    Rubbish out
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,020 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 1:34PM
    Options
    Atishoo - I've done it :) Apologies to anyone living downwind who is about to see the sun blotted out by a cloud of dust. It's not a volcanic eruption; it's the dust from one shelf + books thereon.

I was a little optimistic thinking books would be leaving the premises (I think there's a law against it???) However, I now have one clean shelf loaded with clean books - including the NIV Study Bible which was a present for my 40th birthday (I'll be 57 next month :o). Four books have been brought down - 3 to be re-read / read (including H E Bates 'The Pop Larkin Chronicles') and then, only then, will they go into the cs bag, and a lovely Weekly Devotional Journal Planner which I was thinking would be a great Christmas present (all my books are like new*) for my friend, L, who's an Anglican priest, until it occurred to me that she probably bought me it in the first place. And having just read the title of Week 1, which is Wise Up and Live, I'm thinking there's a little serendipity going on around here. :)

Hoping Mr Ionafan is on the mend. Hugs and spoons to you both.

Rx

PS Does this mean I have to fetch another bag down? It's only half past one. I think I might go 'off piste' and tackle one of the drawers under my bed - who knows what's lurking in there? Coffee first :coffee: methinks.

ETA * apart from the dust. Like new apart from the dust!
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business