PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I thought I got rid of my old fivers ages ago. Of course I failed to look in my BOB, where fortunately there were only four.

I still had a job exchanging them today, and I can't see the situation getting any better. First I went to the post office as recommended in The Sun. The post office jobsworth wouldn't consider taking them.

Across to the bank, and lucky I only had four. The woman did remark that they were brand new (having consecutive serial nos), so I told her it was £20 I keep in the car in case I need petrol.

I believe tenners are the next to change, so maybe restrict your stash to £5 and £20 notes.
  • There's always jobsworths everywhere jko:cool::rotfl:.

Having been a civil servant - you can imagine that I've come across an awful lot of them:cool: as you're trained to be one in effect working for an employer like that. Rules/regulations/laws have their place - and I will react to someone being illogical/not following those morals that have been enshrined in law after all that....

But one does have to temper rules/laws/regulations with commonsense sometimes.

This is the thing though re swopping old fivers - I did read a while back words to the effect of "banks should swop old fivers for new ones" and noted that the operative word is "should" and not "must" or "will". So they do seem to be being allowed to make up their own minds whether to be awkward or helpful and I know I'd swopped all mine some time before "due date" in case I came acros the "awkward" variety, rather than the "commonsense helpful variety". I don't understand why they were being allowed to make their own personal choices about that - but it was clear that they are for some reason????

Just as well, in these circumstances, to bargain on encountering the "awkward" variety, rather than the "helpful commonsense" variety of person if it comes to it:cool:
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just seen the news about Barcelona and it brought back how awful it was when the London Bridge attack happened and DD2 was caught up on the periphery (turfed off the Tube at Bank by armed police and had to make her way home by night bus)

My thoughts this evening are with all the families of those enjoying an innocent evening out and caught up in such horror
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We're going to Barcelona soon :eek::eek:, but there will still be police/security services on extremely high alert, so I feel safer still going. There are no guarantees anywhere, of course, but at least armed bods around might slightly deter or mitigate any numpties!!

A while ago, eldest DD mentioned some online challenge to save 100 £5 notes before Christmas. I don't 'do' challenges, but I'd already saved quite a few as I couldn't bear to spend them when they were so pristine! :rotfl: I just carried on, and now have exceeded said challenge, so I have the last laugh because either Christmas (and the next!) is paid for or I have plenty of ready cash in the event of an event... :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    My cousin was in Barcelona when it happened yesterday. She was near but not at the scene. Facebook has it's negatives but the facility to instantly mark herself as being safe let us all know not to worry. I've been sat here in a chew knowing just how close terrorists have been to effecting my family and I'm angry beyond words.
  • Thank goodness for that FUDS, don't let it undermine your faith in humanity though girlie, it's a very small group of fanatics acting in desperation now because their regime is almost vanquished and the actions of those brave people who helped the victims and the police who chased down and captured the terrorists do much to prove the world will NOT be cowed and defeated by such as them!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2017 at 7:48PM
    My neighbour's daughter was also there, locked down in a hotel room beside Las Ramblas; another one who was able to report that she was safe straight away, thankfully. They didn't allow anyone in or out of the hotel until this morning.

In other news: the cursed blight has struck. Lost most of my tomatoes, which had sat around for a month at full size without enough warmth & sunlight to turn them green, and a number of spuds have gone "down" as well, both up the road & at the new allotment. Infuriating... but other things are doing well. Curiously, something seems to have "hit" all the courgette plants in town, too, at more or less the same time; they've just gone dry & black and all the flowers have rotted off. Not powdery, not slimy; maybe too much rain & grey for too long?
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( Sorry to hear about the blight. Could the courgette woes have possibly been cucumber mosaic virus, it also gets the 'gettes?

Just in from the lottie with gawd-knows-how-many kilos of runner beans. Going to prep most of them for the freezer, now.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Why are there some days when you wake up and find the world is feeling a rather more unpredictable place than others? The news is full of very difficult things happening across the globe and life feels fragile and in the hands of not particularly benign Gods and selfish and self righteous human beings who are prepared to go to any lengths to get their own way no matter the means used to obtain them. It's not particularly scary having lived with these sorts of situation for most of a lifetime but it's really cross making to find that mankind is NOT growing up , far from it, and is still prepared to use brute force and ignorance to bludgeon parts of itself into submission. Please could we work on stopping the world for just a minute or two so I can get off???
  • Was in Home Bargains earlier today, and got myself a Spear & Jackson Select, Double Wall Bottle.

Made of stainless steel, and available in 500 ml and 750 ml sizes (I got the 750 ml one), it looks like the one on the right in the picture, but it bears the S&J name.
    81dS05Ng4kL._SL1500_.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport