Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    POsitive vibes for your friend.
    Great news on HMRC :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Hospitalised friend called today in response to a text. She permitted a visit so that was how I spent my afternoon. Her dd got her as level results, 4 top grades which was great. I stopped at a bakery to pick up some buns to bring for her and my luck was in. This place bakes fresh every day and had mixed bags of today's produce being sold off. For £1.40 I got half a fruit bannock, a wheaten fork, a fruit soda, 6 large pancakes, 2 cheesy finger rolls, 2 burger baps, 3 muffins and 2 large slicing muffins. After the hospital, I called into m&s food nearby. Got two large prepped chicks with a value just over £15 for £4. OH cooked these up tonight and they will be cut up and used or frozen tomorrow. I also got whoopsied chicken kebab things that were his dinner this evening.

Got word today that I got the work I quoted for yesterday. Have also identified two possible opportunities that will require tender submissions over the next few weeks. A decision will be made on these over the weekend as the submissions may be labour intensive. There was a possible third but although the issuer claimed to be committed to working with SMEs, it requires evidence of a minimum 200k turnover pa for each of the last 3 years!

Today I made an omelet for lunch as there was no bread out of the freezer and I had eggs that needed to be used. To my shame, this is the first time I have ever made one. It worked out surprisingly well. Tomorrow there's lots to get done, most of which is carried over from mon or Tuesday. Saturday I am going to a motivational talk at 9.30 then for lunch with a friend who is also attending. It'll be good to catch up.
    Today I am grateful for
    Being able to lend something to someone who appreciates it
    Friendship
    Positive responses
    Exam successes
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Today I made an omelet for lunch as there was no bread out of the freezer and I had eggs that needed to be used. To my shame, this is the first time I have ever made one. It worked out surprisingly well.

I was the same INOD - up until late last year I had also never cooked an omelette - not sure why, apart from it looked complicated!!

Now Friday night is omelette and chips night - usually with salad but sometimes with peas!!
    My favourite filling is Manchego cheese (its made from sheeps milk and has a nutty taste, I get it in Lidl)
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope your friend feels better soon INOD.

I find omelettes are one of those things which either work out perfectly or end up a messy pile in the middle of the pan.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Slept badly last night and now feel like I'm crawling through treacle. Think I might treat myself and grind some coffee beans for a pot of coffee. Want to get on top of all the routine housework today so spare time at the weekend can be given to one offs. Also need to respond to a few emails, keep an eye on pa, sb, etc. really need to get a wiggle on but motivation is a struggle!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are forging ahead! Well done on the jobs... those should help the funds nicely!

Your mum sounds like hard work, especially if the family visiting falls to you. My mum would always comment if I wore jeans or trousers but the day I decided to give up deliberately wearing a skirt to go to see her was a game-changer. She wasn't unkind about wanting me to look feminine but it did feel I was always on the defensive until I went on my terms (and in my jeans!). Now my grownup kids do similar to me! I don't know if it would help at all to go 'on your terms' and shrug off her negatives with 'it was either come this way or not at all so I decided to come to see you'. As someone has already said though, her attitude is about her not about you.

Congrats on all your super bargains (Monsoon is awesome, and so is M&S bakery. I know 'cos DD used to work there!)

Lots of good wishes for your friend. I'm glad you were able to spend time with her, that will have done you both good, and she must be feeling a bit better to have had a visitor.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    So, fri I hit pay out for sb but that was probably the height of my achievements. Yesterday I went to a three hour session around Tony Robbins method that was a taster for a paid for course. Then had lunch and a catch up with a friend spending more than I should have. Returned one of the dresses bought earlier this week. They were too similar so I wouldn't have gotten full wear out of both. Went to sainsbugs as the March event involves champagne. They are doing 25% off with a six bottle purchase so three champers, three reduced price bottles got me my money off plus I had a voucher for another 9 pounds off. In spite of corkage, it still saves about£25 a bottle on our chosen brand and there's likely to be about 15 bottles. This budget is being tracked separately - just need to earn the money to cover it. The promotion runs until next sun and I have a voucher starting today and another valid from next sun so I will take full advantage. With the four bottles we had in supplies, today will get us two thirds of the way there. Also, my exec coaching starts on tues so I will gift a bottle of wine to my friend who is doing this free of charge.

This week will be busy and spendy. I'm working in dublin tues morNing and have built in two more meetings around this to get value from the journey. I'm meeting another friend on wed for lunch. She went SE a few years back in a similar type of area and is going to talk me through perils and pitfalls. I am also lunching either Thursday or fri with a friend heading off on maternity leave. This will be cheap but will be my treat.
    Then I will be gearing up for my visitors the following Monday to Friday.
    There's so much needs done in my house but one of the bathroom curtains has been completed. Other will be tackled during Sunday night telly.

On other news, contacted hmrc re my tax rebate. Their online system only accepts 4 pieces of info to allow for a five day funds transfer. These include info relating to tax credits that I don't receive, etc. without this, I have to wait 60 days for them to issue a cheque. I'm so annoyed that I have made both a complaint and an foi request for information to determine what informed the 4 requirements as it appears to be quite discriminatory. They told me I could use the .gov.uk verify service. This however requires me to provide information to external companies inc the post office, experion to allow them to verify my identity and this will be acceptable by government. Have these people heard of data security at all? I have also asked, under foi, for the assurance mechanisms in place to confirm that these companies are data protection compliant. Will report back when I hear anything as I feel this is something of concern to all.

Anyhow, must now go and be shouted at by mr wii as my weekly weigh in. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday with lots to be grateful for.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    60 days :mad:
    You could not make it up.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Champers.......yum....all round to INODs. Hic.;)

Good luck with the HMRC thing. DH works for them and has nothing good to say about them or their proccesses. I have to endure the daily rant after work.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Today I am grateful for
    Finally FINISHING THE CURTAINS
    Second batch of champers with discount and voucher
    Further progress on big project
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback