PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• Sadly I rarely find stuff large enough to recut - think it's probably easier if you're quite a small size! I used to follow this blog charityshopchic.net and she's made some amazing stuff, although she hasn't posted this year - but I doubt if my skills are quite up to that. One day, maybe - I always like to feel I'm improving!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I recently bought a broderie anglaise gathered skirt from a CS,looked like it hadnt been worn.The style didnt do me any favours :D but there was plenty of material to do a sleeveless tunic top.I edged the bottom with a slightly gathered strip of broderie anglaise trimming I bought and I'm really pleased with it-lovely for warm days .The pattern was a free one from prima mag. I always check on the bigger sizes for nice fabric to use or alter

I have just finished the shortie playsuit for DGD, 1 more to go,but there is a week before she goes on holiday so should be ok.I wont get chance tomorrow as I'm minding DGS(3) all day and it's always hectic :)
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've just been into M&S, looked at a dress, didn't like it on me and it was about £80:eek: (everything is expensive here even M&S) the sleeves were really badly made. The edge of one rode up and the edge of the other sagged down. Put it back on the hanger PDQ!
    While I was trying it on I was thinking about how much material I will be able to buy with that money:T
  • Definitely agree with Polly, it's certainly not cheaper to make your own clothes now, but I love being able to choose colours and patterns of fabrics that I like, and to tweak the design (usually to add pockets of some description!) to get what I want, and to have something unique to me. I have recently bought a DottyAngel/Simplicity pattern (1080) for a smock dress as I love that sort of style. Interesting to read reviews and comments on blogs about adjustments needed and that it's not the simplest instructions/construction. I think I may have a go with an old sheet first....
    Kittie - I do the same with the 'thanks' and just to show someone I have read their post and noted what they said.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• I have finally learned to love my overlocker! By way of background, I bought the beast a few years ago, secondhand. I didn't really understand what to do with it, and it's been taking up valuable space in my sewing cupboard. I decided that this year I'd either got to learn to use it or lose it.

I tried making a T-shirt not long after I got it, and it didn't end well. In fact I think I'm still emotionally scarred. In my cupboard upstairs is a carrier bag with some scrunched up (and slightly tear-stained) jersey.

Earlier this year I went on an excellent Saturday course at Morley College in London, which make me slightly less scared of it, however I still hadn't really used it. Rather than risk a mistake with expensive fabric, I cut up a jersey wrap dress that my sister gave me. I used a pattern from this very good book Sew U Home Stretch by Wendy Mullin and followed the instructions. Wow - so quick and easy compared to making a woven top, no facings, no darts, no fitting issues. I'm sure it's not perfect but I seriously don't think I will ever buy a t-shirt again! I can choose some proper fabric instead of the 'cheesecloth' weight that most seem to be made from, and make the sleeves a comfortable length. The overlocker performed perfectly, I'm still learning how to position the fabric but it's so neat and so speedy.

Incidentally Kittie do you recall posting this link, http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits about how to fit necklines? I followed it to the letter, and it worked like a dream - perfectly fitting neck band.

I'm so pleased with this, and it's given me a real boost after a somewhat challenging week. Now, am I brave enough to retrieve that UFO from the cupboard and see if there's anything to salvage? :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    polly you made me smile :D I am loving the enthusiasm

I wrote about a fabric called donatella some time ago, from CM. It is wide bright and like embedded sequins with like a felty lining on the back. I just realised that It would be perfect for motifs of all sorts. Letters to art to anything. It won`t fray so could be perfect for applique. I need to make myself a canvas apron for wood carving, now that donatella would turn that apron into a girlie apron, could cut my name out of it and sew it on :D

Mojo has gone, for now but it is the time of year
  • Polly I also have a second hand over locker, it was given to me sans instruction book, I have had a couple of goes but I do really need to learn how to use it properly. The problem is I don't even know if I have all the necessary bits, once the children are back at school I will have to pull it out and see if there are any useful numbers on it that might help me find the instructions online or something. In the meantime I'm pinning with gay abandon to my sewing inspiration pinterest board!
  • Q -

I'm thinking of buying a bias maker as I like the finishing of a taped seam.

Has anyone used these - are they any better than buying bias tape [other than the fabric match they'll give you].

and update -
    I ordered samples from Croft Mills - really good lead Kittie, thank you. The fabric descriptions are v funny as well as informative! And you get enough of the fabric in the sample to wash it to see how it performs.

The red twill, and olive twill fabrics I fancied [ think you'd bought the red Kittie] had all gone -shame. I'm going to try a chambray and light denim, for skirts, tops or a dress.

And - a no risk project this - if it fails it fails - I'm going to make a Tailor's Ham as per Haxell's instructions in her book.
    Can't think why I never knew of this before, but I've been away from sewing for so long.
  • Ooh, I want a Tailors' Ham - I'm planning to ask for one for my birthday along with a few other sewing items. Let us know how you get on with making one.

I've got a bias maker, just a simple metal funnel-type - you feed the strip of fabric in one end and then press it as you pull it through. They're quite cheap on Amazon, is that the sort of thing you mean, Tray Select? I wouldn't say it's better than purchased binding, but it means you can self-bind, use contrast fabric, use up scraps and so on. If you do get one, look up one of the many tutorials on how to cut a continuous strip. I don't use mine much, but I haven't needed binding for anything recently.
  • great, thank you Polly, also helpful reminder re videos.

I think I'll buy a bias maker when I want to self bind or contrast-fabric bind as you say.

I prefer cotton bias binding [rathter than poly mix], but you can't always get this easily and in the colour you need.

Likewise I like cotton thread for cotton fabric, rather than polyester. If you ever dye fabric, poly threads are a pain because they won't take the dye.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback