Utilising my 8 credit cards to the best possible effect

Options
Hi,
I will soon be trying to get a fairly large mortgage (looking at houses worth about £500,000), probably with an LTV of about 75% and am looking for advice as to how best to improve my credit worthiness by means of utilising my credit cards to the best possible effect.

In recent years I’ve found it extremely difficult to get any kind of finance even though I am a fairly high earner (roughly £70,000 per year self-employed).

There are a number of obvious contributing factors that have led to me being constantly refused credit and I’ve also learned that there were a few less obvious factors, all of which I have now taken steps to address.

My main problems in the past have been caused by having huge long and short term debt. I’ve had 10 mortgages (9 Buy to Let and 1 residential) and I’ve now reduced this to 8 and 1 (a lot of lenders seem to see 10 mortgages as being the magic “maximum” number). I currently have £109,000 worth of available credit card credit and have finally reduced my utilisation to zero, which will hopefully make a big difference. Over the past 10 years my utilisation has always been extremely high, peaking at 90% at the end of last year before I took steps to pay everything off very rapidly. I also don’t’ have any loans, despite relying heavily on them in the fairly recent past (I have just had one approved recently though, resulting in the only hard credit search I’ve had done on my in the past 6 months. This was for a £1,500 interest free loan that was offered by the energy saving trust. One other important thing, I have 2 defaults – one for £40 that has just expired after 6 years (for an unpaid gas bill) and another for £60 (unpaid mobile bill) which expires this December. My payment record (for all other types of credit) has been otherwise flawless.

So with a new mortgage application in mind, I think I have done everything I possibly can do to maximise my chances (I’ve done all other stuff like registering myself to vote and updating my addresses etc.). The one final thing I think I can still do to help though is to utilise my credit cards as effectively as possible. The 8 cards I have were opened in 2002, 2006 (x2), 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2016 (x2). I no longer need to rely on any type of credit (except mortgages of course!) but understand that clever utilisation of the credit cards could increase my chances of getting another mortgage. So how best should I do this? I now have my direct debits set to pay the balance in full each month but should I be utilising the cards up to a certain level or is it enough just make sure I use each card once per month (for a small amount)? Also, should I be cancelling off the ones I’ve taken out more recently? If so, how many should I cancel? Bear in mind I quite like the option of having £109,000 credit available but I’m happy to take a hit for the greater good if need be!

I realise there probably isn’t a definitive answer but any advice and tips would be welcomed.

Incidentally, my “credit scores” with Experian, Equifax and Call credit have recently changed to “fair”, “good” and “2/5” respectively, having always been the lowest possible category in all cases. I know that the “credit scores” don’t mean a great deal but it’s certainly an indication that the recent efforts I’ve made are having an effect.

Comments

• cooltt
    cooltt Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No doubt you'll get some long convoluted boring response from someone shortly about lender risk and your existing credit etc, however i'll keep it short and simple.

Utilisation? Great you understand whats really important irrespective of how many cards you hold.
    So....in a nutshell, use them all for various purchases and pay in full every month. That's it. No magic formula, just build up a consistent spend, pay in full on time, spend, pay in full on time.

Many factors make up a lending decision obviously but responsible use of existing credit is a biggie.
    5557223 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You are not understanding risk from a lender's perspective. Sure some will provide you with a line of credit on a credit card or personal loan but if the interest rates go up by 2-3% in the next 5 years, how will you cope on your BTL portfolio. Will you still be able to satisfy the latest rental requirement of 145% at 5% interest rate.

I guess you need a good financial advisor.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your case is not for the faint hearted and, as the previous poster said, you should really be taking all of your paperwork to a financial advisor. Alternatively, take it all to a mortgage broker and see what they can find with regards to a mortgage.
    If you can wait for a while before your next mortgage application, and use the credit cards as suggested, your credit file may look a bit healthier. But remember, lenders are obliged to look at how they think you would cope with a 3% interest rise, on any new mortgage and on your existing ones.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Radge70
    Radge70 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for these very useful responses. Cooltt, would you suggest I hang on to all 8 credit cards even though the only reason I would want to would be in case I suddenly needed £109,000? I know that available credit can sometimes put lenders off too. This exact scenario did happen at the end of last year when I was offered another Buy to Let mortgage in principle but then had it declined because the build type didn’t meet the banks criteria once the survey had been done. So I paid for the property using my credit cards! In saying that though I won’t be buying any more buy to let properties for a long time and the focus is purely on getting a residential mortgage now. Also, should I go to the effort of spending decent amounts on all 8 cards each month or can the same effect be created by just using each of them for a couple of small purchases and then paying them off in full. It’s quite hard to have 8 credit cards on the go now that I don’t have to rely on them!

5557223, I am beginning to understand the risk from a lenders perspective and, as Shakin Steve says, my situation is pretty complex. I’ve done everything in my power to reduce the risk though and the only remaining scope for improvement is with little tweaks like this (carefully managing my credit card spending/repaying). I understand it’s still going to be tough to get my mortgage but a lot of factors are out with my control so it’s just a case of dealing with the stuff that I can control. I did recently get rid of one of my buy to let mortgages but I can’t get rid of them all at the same time.
    Financial Advisor is a good idea but I’ve yet to find an adequately clued up mortgage advisor (or indeed one who wants to go near my situation!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP how do the new and proposed tax changes in buy to let affect you, is this an opportunity to rationalise that as well.

Surprising you have issues with mortgage brokers, thought that amount of potential business would have them beating the door down.
  • cooltt
    cooltt Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @Radge70
    There isn't a definitive answer to what your asking as different lenders will attach different ratios of risk to your current assets and revolving credit. Some might see you as a responsible property investor some might think "jesus this guys on the edge", however what matters most is how you are running your port folio and what steps you are taking to reduce risk to yourself and lenders.

The comments about interest rate rises and what if this and what if that are largely irrelevant. Interest rate rises don't happen over night, the market doesn't go pear shaped overnight either. £109K of revolving credit against your property port folio? nothing to right home about.

Also you can go straight to a lender throw all your cards on the table and ask them straight out, would this make you nervous? No searches no form filling. Find out what you can before committing to an application.
  • Radge70
    Radge70 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the further advice!
    One last thing, I also have several different bank accounts with overdrafts. Should I be deliberately dipping into the overdrafts each month and then paying them off in full or does it not matter as much with overdrafts? To be honest I'd prefer not to as I will incur fees and interest charges.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Radge70 wrote: »
    Thanks for the further advice!
    One last thing, I also have several different bank accounts with overdrafts. Should I be deliberately dipping into the overdrafts each month and then paying them off in full or does it not matter as much with overdrafts? To be honest I'd prefer not to as I will incur fees and interest charges.

I'd refrain from using the overdrafts at all.

They're generally viewed by banks as something you should be using for emergencies. Credit cards are different but in all honesty I'd ditch a couple of them if it were me. Unless you're getting some benefit from holding each of them, there's no real benefit to keeping 8 of them and it may even work against you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure