New puppy

2»

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    How does that work for kittens?

I've read that it's OK to microchip kittens from 5 weeks old.
    Would a Bichon Frise puppy be any/much smaller than a 5 week old kitten?

I'm not disputing anything, just curious. :)

Good question Pollycat. I would have thought it was the same. It's the size of the chip, though I believe there are mini chips, and the delivery method that causes the discomfort so you would expect equal unhappiness for both cats and dogs.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know that the size of the chip is getting smaller all the time - but when I was breeding cats, I would micro-chip 9 week old persian kittens - and at that time the chip was smaller than a grain of rice, so there should be no problem. As puppies are not supposed to leave the breeder under the age of 8 weeks - and good breeders of small breeds generally hold on to them until 13 weeks, there is no excuse for not micro-chipping before it left the breeder.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Chipping is into optional now. It is required by law that puppies are chipped , by the breeder, by the time they are 8 weeks old. It is recommended that micro chipping is not done before 6 weeks.

There many breeds smaller than a Bichon.

parrots fish and mice have been microchipped who are much smaller than a puppy.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It may be the law but the OP isn't going to get into trouble for the chip not being done already - the dog isn't going out yet, so they won't be caught. Even if they were caught, there is then a grace period to get it done before there are any consequences.

The breeders may have done the OP a favour by not chipping the dog already. Our then 10yo was chipped just before the law came in for less than the change of ownership fee. How can it be right that a simple piece of admin costs more than getting a qualified vet to implant the chip AND add details?

The vet will also check that the dog is chipped when it goes in for vaccinations, so they would be able to do it then. In my opinion, that's when it should be done - the dog isn't going out for several weeks after that so it serves no purpose having to have it done so early.
  • Thank you for your interesting discussions on my suitability to own a dog and the quality of the breeder!! I will not comment on any if these other to say that my puppy is now chipped and is very healthy!! ��
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2017 at 3:11PM
    Our Bichon is sat looking at me now, Poppy is just over one and we have had her since she was 8 wks. She was microchipped the day before we picked her up.

The breed are very intelligent and extremely cheeky lol. They learn tricks and are fab with children.

TBF I fell in love with her lol, I always wanted a dog as did the kids, but I have allergies so couldn't. The kids and OH wanted one so much we decided to see about a dog thats less allergenic. A lovely local breeder said come down and sit with mum and dad and the pups and see if your allegies are set off. I was amazed no issues at all.

I am still allergic though as, even with extra anti hystamines I started with itchy eyes and sneezes at puppy training classes.

Pop will do high fives, dancing around on her back legs and shake a paw.

TBH the only downside of the breed I can see is they are very definately animals who like company, they really don't like being alone and I would never have one if I worked outside the home all day. Luckily I work from home and OH is selfemployed. She has got used to being alone for say 3-4 hours, but not sure I would go longer than that.

We were told they can be difficult to house train, but didn't have too many issues, we used puppy pads at first then into the garden and on walks. Very rarely if she is desperate I suppose she has had an accident on the bathroom floor, I assume she smells were we go and goes there as well and tile floors are easy to clean. Not done this for a couple of months though.

For a small dog they love to go on walks and beware other owners have said the same as us they adore the water, we live near a river and as soon as we get there she stands at the top of the bank looking at us all excited. As soon as we say off you go she is straight in and swimming away, she also loves the beach and jumps through the waves with the girls then digs us lots of holes lol.

You will also need to be aware of the amount of grooming they require, we have a short style cut as we don't show her, with a little length on the top of the head and a fluffy tail end and get her cut locally every 6wks or so. Have to trim around her eyes as well inbetween ourselves as the fur grows so fast. The eyes can get a little gunky so I clean everyday and she loves a bath-in fact you need to lock the door when you have one or she gets in with you :rotfl:

Enjoy your fluff ball they are the best-Poppy just jumped up and fell asleep pressed up against me on the sofa aww.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    My vet told me that very tiny microchips are now available, even smaller than before. He microchipped my miniature schnauzer X at 8 weeks and under 2 Kilos. As I understand it, puppies don't have to be microchipped until they are six months old if they come from an ordinary household rather than a registered breeder.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    My vet told me that very tiny microchips are now available, even smaller than before. He microchipped my miniature schnauzer X at 8 weeks and under 2 Kilos. As I understand it, puppies don't have to be microchipped until they are six months old if they come from an ordinary household rather than a registered breeder.

Can you give the source of your understanding?

According to GOV.UK
    You must make sure your dog is fitted with a microchip by the time it’s 8 weeks old

You can be fined up to £500 if your dog isn’t microchipped.

No mention of 6 months anywhere.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    I stand corrected. Six months was apparently the original proposal when the law was being discussed, but, as you say, now reduced to 8 weeks.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure