PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bird nesting in extractor fan?

Hi there, well its a strange one, when I woke up this morning I heard loud sounds and scuttering about, I realised within a few minutes a bird had gotten into the back of my kitchen fan as there was no cover on the back of it, it just made constant sounds for hours and I phoned council concerned it may be nesting (and for its own safety as if I accidently turned on the fan it would get messy) council informed me they weren't allowed to move a nesting bird.

I stood on a ladder and the bird must of saw me and flew off, but came back a few minutes later but when I stood next to fan it flew off again, I taped the opening at back of fan up with packing tape and couldn't see any sign of eggs or a nest, didn't want to risk bird coming back.

I did notice as well the fan has stopped working so I don't know if they have bitten anything inside the fan.

So just checking this was actually legal, don't want to get in trouble, and wanted to see if tape was a good idea and how to stop them coming back.

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need something like this ...
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-square-flap-vent-white-100mm/18561

Birds don't have teeth.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The council is fitting them as its a council property and fixing the extractor fan but its 2 weeks before first appointment, it was more I thought they may scratch at the tape and pull it off the wall.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I did notice as well the fan has stopped working so I don't know if they have bitten anything inside the fan.

If the bird was building a nest, my guess is that a few twigs have become wedged in and around the fan blade.

Extractor fan motors are very weak, so it wouldn't take much to stop them spinning.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Im guessing if the fuse was gone the light wouldn't come on, it has a fuse under the switch but the led on the switch comes on.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dekaspace wrote: »
    ...... council informed me they weren't allowed to move a nesting bird.
    The council is fitting them as its a council property and fixing the extractor fan but its 2 weeks before first appointment
    ??????????????????????????????/

My advice? Leave the poor bird in peace for now. Once it has raised its chicks, put on gloves. go up ladder, clear out the nest and check the fan blade spins freely (switch off at mains first!), then test fan. Then either you, or council can fit a cover to stop a repeat.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    G_M wrote: »
    ??????????????????????????????/

My advice? Leave the poor bird in peace for now. Once it has raised its chicks, put on gloves. go up ladder, clear out the nest and check the fan blade spins freely (switch off at mains first!), then test fan. Then either you, or council can fit a cover to stop a repeat.

It was already gone at time of posting, I scared if off when I stood on ladder to take a peek, and even though it came back it flew off again when it saw me.

By scaring it off I mean just my presence was enough to startle it I didn't attempt to go near it.

Anyway it works now and with the home made packing tape cover fan has never worked so good, no longer getting breezes, it was one tiny stick about size of a screw that was causing the issues, still getting council out as bathroom fan has been faulty since I moved in so they can do it at same time.
  • G_M
    Try switching the bathroom fan off at mains, then cleaning it. After time they can get clogged with dust, grime, grease etc and a good clean makes a big diffrenece. + a sqirt of WD40 on the axel of the blades to help them rotate freely.

My taxes pay for the council to maintain your fan and councils are cutting services to the elderly, schools etc. A bit of nouse and you'll be doing your bit!

Google/utube 'how to clean a fan' for more!
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Try switching the bathroom fan off at mains, then cleaning it. After time they can get clogged with dust, grime, grease etc and a good clean makes a big diffrenece. + a sqirt of WD40 on the axel of the blades to help them rotate freely.

My taxes pay for the council to maintain your fan and councils are cutting services to the elderly, schools etc. A bit of nouse and you'll be doing your bit!

Google/utube 'how to clean a fan' for more!

I have been using WD40 on things since I left home almost 2 decades ago! You are talking to someone who builds computers a lot for friends and family and has used it on door handles and hinges for long time! (and I am aware its not best thing but its better than nothing!) I put WD40 into it a while back after noticing it didn't seem to be putting out full whack (which as it turns out was due to no backplate so the wind from outside was affecting it)

I have repaired the locking mechanisms on my doors since I moved in since it is a easy job.

But you don't know why I called out the electrician for the bathroom, I mentioned before the fan comes on all the time even when its dry in there and a warm day so wanted it checked out, in the process of that at same appointment the electrician will put on plates, I also saw it as good as if ones were there before they can log they have been removed, or if they were meant to be put on when property was refurbished the contractors didn't do it but still charged for it.
    The problem cleaning the fan is that the front won't come off without damaging the paintwork around it, and at back would require a large ladder to gain access into it.

And you are speaking to someone who had his local autism group have their funding cut as council didn't want to fund it, and go from 20 hours a week support workers to none so yes I know about cutbacks.
  • G_M
    Sorry not to have done a full background check on you before posting - naturally if I'd inteviewed your family and friends first I'd have realised you were familiar with WD40.

Mea culpa.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry not to have done a full background check on you before posting - naturally if I'd inteviewed your family and friends first I'd have realised you were familiar with WD40.

Mea culpa.

Though I posted a thread a few weeks ago mentioning a fault with my bathroom fan assuming it was the sensor on this very board of which you yourself mentioned if I was a tenant to ask my landlord!

Thats the main thing there, and I have made threads in past about little repairs around home and mentioned I do certain things.

The tone of your post with things you said made it seem you believed I am not making an effort when in fact I am so it annoyed me a little.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure