Amex getting harde to use?

2»

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2017 at 10:21PM
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    If you have Amex, you need to carry a Visa/Mastercard (or cash) for the gaps in domestic acceptability.

Aware of that but I've been able to use it significantly less just recently to the point it's not really worth having. A couple of places e.g. Tyre city, have said they stopped taking it.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    the only places ive ever struggled with amex use is B&q, screwfix and wickes.

However there are workarounds for the first two.

B&Q buy their giftcards from tesco and purchase with your amex, you dont get clubcard points on giftcards but at least you've used your amex

Screwfix, they accept paypal, who accept amex, the only downside is you cant order instore this way.

Ive yet to find a work around for wickes.

I have a lloyds avios pack which comes with amex and a mastercard so worse case scenario any spending still help towards my 2 for 1 voucher
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    phatbear wrote: »
    Screwfix, they accept paypal, who accept amex, the only downside is you cant order instore this way.

A bit fiddly, but can always use the "quickshop app" and click and collect, personaly find it easier than using the pen and paper method anyway!
  • BG350
    BG350 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Amex is great for those based in London and regularly use the tube/bus - contactless usually works out cheaper than the Oystercard/paper tickets too!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

B&Q buy their giftcards from tesco and purchase with your amex, you dont get clubcard points on giftcards but at least you've used your amex

I have a lloyds avios pack which comes with amex and a mastercard so worse case scenario any spending still help towards my 2 for 1 voucher

I used my Amex in Wickes last week.
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer

I didn't comment initially because I haven't lived there for a while and it may have changed, but I'm 99% certain I used Amex in Wickes when I was doing the necessary to sell my house!
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite

this, from the wickes website, explains my issue:

The cards we accept are listed at the bottom of the 'basket' page. We currently accept MasterCard and Visa debit & credit cards (including Visa Electron), as well as Delta and Maestro debit cards. American Express credit cards are only accepted in-store

I ordered my bits online to ensure they had stock and, for some strange reason, they don't accept amex online!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ..However there are workarounds for the first two..

i admire your commitment. if you are spending a lot with them it is worth it, i guess:)
  • My experience of acceptance has improved in the last 2 years. I live in Lancaster where most (?) shops and restaurants are independent and acceptance is actually pretty good. Almost all chains take it too - the only exception I've noticed is B&Q.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Gift Vouchers and Paypal both remove your S75 cover.
    Fine with low value items but not with anything else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure