Being Bullied By Car Insrance Companies!!!

So according to my car insurance company, I have to declare any motoring convictions that I have had within the last 5 years. I knew that I had some points on my license but wasn't 100% sure of how many or when they were issued to me. So I did a bit of looking and found that I can check my license details with Direct Gov. I filled in my driving license number, national insurance number and date of birth. The results came back showing that I only had 3 points on my license which were issued in Aug 2015. So this is what I declared to the insurance company. After taking out the policy the insurance company sent me a text message advising that they will increase the premium. I called them and asked why. They said because I did not declare points that were issued in Dec 2013. I explained that when I checked my details with Direct Gov, it did not show these points. Why would the DVLA remove points from my license after only 4 years when the insurance companies want you to declare everything within 5 years. It seems stupid that I have to declare points which are no longer on my license and have been removed by the DVLA. It makes no sense and just sounds like another way for the insurance company to suck every penny from my already very empty pockets. They have increased my premium by almost £100 for not declaring points that are not on my license. I feel sick to death about this. It ruined my whole day... Martin Lewis, can you explain how Insurance companies are getting away with this?... Daylight Robbery

Isit fair that we have to declare motoring offenses if they're not on our licenses? 66 votes

Yes
83%
uih039dunstonhEnterprise_1701CcajefPoppycatAndy_LPeter999_2notbritishgasTorry_QuineFlameCloudTrentendersBoGoFNick_Cjonnyd281thebigstillmeisterSmodletStuart107Caz3121rudekid48BargainGalore 55 votes
No
16%
carlyThomas_CrownshazzablueTadleyBaggiekatiepykemollycoddleripplyukbarnezEmmyLou30BluebloodYoung-T 11 votes

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2018 at 5:54PM
    Hard for anyone to 'forget' getting 2 lots of points in the last 4/5:years.

Don't think Mr Lewis can help explain this.

If you are unhappy about this increase (rather than a rant) then your only option is a complaint to the insurer.

No one else can help
  • No
    Well I hate to say this, but I thought this was a site where people would help other people, not take the mickey. I hope your premium goes up, oh wait, I bet you don't even own a car do you?...
  • ConMan
    ConMan Posts: 108 Forumite
    They asked you a simple question. You answered it incorrectly. Fail to see what the insurer have done wrong.
    You'll find me sat in the corner with a pack of dry roasted and a Guinness.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes
    To be fair, if the points have expired, why should the offence be declared to insurance? It’s truly none of their business. The points have been served and expired. Why should insurance companies use now redundant points to increase premiums? It is just a revenue exercise.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes
    Sparx wrote: »
    To be fair, if the points have expired, why should the offence be declared to insurance? It’s truly none of their business. The points have been served and expired. Why should insurance companies use now redundant points to increase premiums? It is just a revenue exercise.

Surely the driving habits going back 5 years of someone they are choosing to insure is their business?
  • Yes
    They asked you to declare any convictions within the last 5 years.

Think yourself lucky they simply increased your premium, they could have cancelled your insurance, which would have made it extremely difficult to get insurance in the future.

Next time, read the questions and answer them, do not try to interpret them, they ask a question, you answer truthfully.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes
    My understanding is
    the insurance companies want to know a persons history to assess a persons risk.

DVLA on the other hand are not assessing risk, their in the business of dealing with motoring offences by way of fines, points etc....
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes
    Sparx wrote: »

Pricing is based on risk. How is pricing of the product they retail none of their business? Knowing the risks of what they are underwriting is key to any insurance company.
    showing that I only had 3 points on my license which were issued in Aug 2015

Your licence was not issued in 2015. You obtained your licence after you passed your test.
    I feel sick to death about this. It ruined my whole day... Martin Lewis, can you explain how Insurance companies are getting away with this?... Daylight Robbery

If you hold told the truth then none of this would have happened. Perhaps that is the moral of the story here. Tell the truth and it wont ruin your day.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    How do insurers check points history?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes
    Young-T wrote: »
    Well I hate to say this, but I thought this was a site where people would help other people,
    Not sure what kind of help you want, you failed to answer a simple question correctly.

When the points on your licence where removed has no relevence, the insurance company are the ones offering to cover you and if their terms and conditions stipulate five years that is their perogative and requirement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure