Affiliate your website... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Obvious point to make, but if you are going to do affiliate marketing on the web, you will need traffic and a lot of it. I have sites that take 60,000 hits a month and make next to no money. Just trying to say it definatly aint a get rich quick scenario.
  • gustav
    gustav Posts: 243 Forumite
    Over half of my Web Traffic appears to come from the USA. (according to the logs)
    However, I dont know of any UK based affiliate schemes with Merchants that are appropriate for US site users.
    Any suggestions?
    I know nothing - really!!
  • How about setting up geo-targetting so that both US and UK visitors get the relevant ads. Some networks allow you to do this by setting up some options in your account.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gustav wrote: »
    Over half of my Web Traffic appears to come from the USA. (according to the logs)
    However, I dont know of any UK based affiliate schemes with Merchants that are appropriate for US site users.
    Any suggestions?

I seem to remember that commission junction had merchants from the usa.

Also amazon.com is good
  • gustav
    gustav Posts: 243 Forumite
    How about setting up geo-targetting so that both US and UK visitors get the relevant ads. Some networks allow you to do this by setting up some options in your account.

Any idea which ones?
    I am with Affiliate Windows, Affiliate Futures & Tradedoubler, and don't recall any of these offering this option.

I seem to remember that commission junction had merchants from the usa.
    Also amazon.com is good

I will also check out Commission Junction.
    Already with amazon.co.uk, but, quite honestly, it doesnt generate much in the way of clicks.

Google adsense is still the No. 1 money maker (5% ctr, avg 4p/click).
    I know nothing - really!!
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gustav wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Hi

Who hosts your site? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the host country has a bearing on how your site is treated by search engines, it is to do with the country IP address your site resides on.

Anyway, done a search and found an article that explains a little more.
    http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3626854
  • Can anyone give me any pointers to making money off your own website? I have run sites for fun but would like to turn my hobby into money making. If you are money making, are there any legal aspects to think about before putting certain content up on your pages? I'm thinking like a film poster on your page that you are making money off with adsense, for example.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi stressers,

I've merged your thread into the affiliate your website discussion which already contains useful information.
  • I've been registered with about four of them, and I've made very small amount of money, all from clicking on the links and buying stuff I needed for myself. Occasionally my mother and her partner go to my website, but that's that.

I've lost any hope in making money for affiliate links :-(
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been registered with about four of them, and I've made very small amount of money, all from clicking on the links and buying stuff I needed for myself. Occasionally my mother and her partner go to my website, but that's that.

I've lost any hope in making money for affiliate links :-(

If you are seeing no success with your own website just use https://www.quidco.com as they give back 100% of the commission earned... and becuase they are top tier affiliates due to the volume they push through, you'd earn more using them.

It goes to show you that affiliate marketing is not an easy way to make money. For every successful site there will be scores more making nothing or very little.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure