Car airlines change routes after you have already booked?

Options
I have booked a return flight from Heathrow to Portland, Oregon USA. I'm 6'4" most of which is my legs and I can't afford a premium seat. I specifically choose a route with a layover at JFK, to break the flight up as evenly as possible.

Now they have informed me that the route is changed and my layover will be in Los Angeles. But that's over 11 hours from Heathrow, probably closer to 12 with taxiing etc. and that's, exactly what I wanted to avoid.

I've contacted Apple Flights, who I booked it through, and they said it's because of a change to the airline schedule and they are unable to reroute me via the East coast. I'd be OK with Boston or Washington DC or a few other places, but they say they can't help.

I don't want to cancel the trip, so what other options do I have?

Thanks.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strange that the airline didn't give the agent more alternatives.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a look on the airline's website and see what other routings for non-direct services between Heathrow and Portland are given. Make a note of the details then ring Apple Travel and ask if you can take that option.
  • Itsgottabedone
    Options
    In answer to your question, yes airlines can change routes (among many other things) - they're contracted only to take you from A to B. As Westin advises, check for a route that suits you better on the same airline and go back to the agent to ask if you can change to that. Bear in mind that if there are no seats available at the fare level you paid they won't be able to offer the change without additional cost.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    In answer to your question, yes airlines can change routes (among many other things) - they're contracted only to take you from A to B. As Westin advises, check for a route that suits you better on the same airline and go back to the agent to ask if you can change to that. Bear in mind that if there are no seats available at the fare level you paid they won't be able to offer the change without additional cost.

agreed

OP for future ref its usually better to book direct with the airline, it is then much simpler to change routes etc.

the savings are not usually that great booking with a 3rd party
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport