Options

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    They search CallCredit.

The full card number shows up once you recieve and activate it.

Ok thanks.

I can confirm that the virtual card works in Apple Pay even though I have not received the physical card and therefore not activated it. I used the virtual card in Apple Pay in Wilko today.
  • Anthorn
    Options
    Final update:

My debit card arrived in a quite distinctive black square envelope. On opening there is a little box and when a drawer on the right-hand side is pulled out the other side slides out containing the Debit Mastercard. I activated it in the app by tapping a button and entering the CVV.

First impressions with me count so the card packaging inspires confidence. Not for Starling to stick the card on the bottom of a paper letter. But I think Starling has missed the boat: It could have designed a card with a distinctive design but instead went for the mediocre.

So there I am all set up. Opening a bank account doesn't get more painless than this.
  • Jeromem75
    Options
    I have been using as a main bank with direct debit and i have been extremely happy with it.
    Never got the card refused and they are adding more features.
    For me i like the instant notification after a purchase and money is taken away from my account whether or not the transaction is completed or pending.
    If you want a code to skip the queue.
    Feel free.
    RSCEMZGE
  • SurfKing
    Options
    I'm absolutely loving Starling so far. For the first time in a while I'm really in control of my finances - it's a liberating feeling!
  • Anthorn
    Options
    It might be interesting to see how Starling Bank cope with pre-authorisation which is not collected by the payee. Both Tesco Bank (Payqwiq) and Sky / Now TV have done this to verify my Starling Bank debit card. I'll know in around 10 days when the pre-authorised money should be made available in my balance.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    It might be interesting to see how Starling Bank cope with pre-authorisation which is not collected by the payee. Both Tesco Bank (Payqwiq) and Sky / Now TV have done this to verify my Starling Bank debit card. I'll know in around 10 days when the pre-authorised money should be made available in my balance.

I had an iTunes preauthorisation on my Starling account recently, I’m sure it fell away in just under a week (iirc).
    ====
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    Is there any indication on when joint accounts will be introduced?
  • Anthorn
    Options
    Is there any indication on when joint accounts will be introduced?

According to the FAQ that's a possible future development:
    Do Starling offer business/joint accounts?
    Right now, we’re concentrating on creating the best mobile-only personal current account in the world. Keep your eyes peeled for future developments.
    https://www.starlingbank.com/faq/
  • Anthorn
    Options
    My switch from Yorkshire Bank to Starling Bank went relatively smoothly. A few problems but all of the problems were due to the inefficiencies of direct debit payees:

Anchor Trust didn't recognise Starling Bank so dismissed the DD mandate transfer from Yorkshire Bank to Starling. When I phoned them to start a new DD, their system allocated the DD to Natwest which I thought was kinda sick!

Plusnet decided to transmit a new direct debit to Starling Bank even though there was already a DD on my Starling account. So now there are two DD for plusnet. Likewise with Paypal. Cancelling their old DDs should be fun.

I deposited funds into my Virgin Money savings and made a payment to my Virgin Money credit card by faster payment from my Starling Bank account. I then immediately received a phone call from the Virgin Money transactions team asking if that was me who sent the payments and if I had changed my bank. The conversation which ensued no doubt with fraud prevention in mind, confirmed that Virgin Money does not know about the 7-Day Switch Service or even know that it exists!

So there it is. The 7-day switch was not exactly painless but Starling Bank itself is blameless. I like Starling Bank.
  • jamie_02
    Options
    You pay in cash through NatWest branches, but need to contact Customer Services for the reference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure