Widows entitlement to state pension

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    jancee wrote: »
    Not quite true boobby! Under current rules a man can claim pension on his 65th birthday, a woman on her 60th. But the FQY - final qualifying year - is, the complete tax year before that.

That's incorrect.

The age related allowances are only available from age 65 (or tax year after 64 as has been pointed out) for both men and women. Unfortunately those women who currently are able to claim their pension from age 60 do not get the extra allowance until age 65.
  • Uluru_2
    Options
    Thank you all for the information and advice. I am visiting my mum this weekend so I will have a proper look through all her documents now that I have a better understanding and some specific things to look for.
  • helenpaterson
    Options
    Hi,
    My late father died over 20 years ago aged 46 after paying just short of 30 years into NHS Super ann scheme.:mad:
    Mum received his NHS pension and now at the age of 67 also receives state pension after working many years herself. What we would like to know is she entitled to my late fathers state pension?:confused:
    ( he would have turned 65 two years ago.)
    Any advice would be very welcome!
    Thanks
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    If she has State Pension in her own right she is not entitled to any State Pension from your late father.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mum received his NHS pension and now at the age of 67 also receives state pension after working many years herself. What we would like to know is she entitled to my late fathers state pension?:confused:

She would not receive her husband's pension in addition to her own. However she may be able to inherit his SERPS.

Is she receiving the full pension? If not she may get more based on her husband's contributions.

Best thing to do would be to phone the pension service and see if she is getting her full entitlement from her husband's contributions.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    A woman can claim state retirement pension EITHER on her own contributions OR on those of her late husband, whichever is most favourable to her. She can't claim a mixture of both.

She could, however, inherit his SERPS (if any). However, as he died 20 years ago there may not have been much SERPS, because this only started from 6th April 1978.

Every little helps however, as they say! This leaflet explains it: http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/pdf/serps/serpsl1dec08.pdf
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • sirmyser
    sirmyser Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2009 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Hi, My mother is 62 and has been in receipt of her pension for 2 years and get around £80.00 per week. My father passed away at the age of 56 seven years ago, he paid NI contributions from the age of 16. The amount of money that my Mother recieves does not appear to reflect this and personally I think she's overlooked something or neglected to claim something as my dad had personal debts when he died and (most were wrote off) and my Mother and father had been separated (not divorced) at the time. Surely she must be entitled to something from his contributions? It's a shame as she's considering selling her home in order to survive. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2009 at 4:41PM
    Options
    If she's only getting £80 a week and is living alone, then she is entitled to a number of benefits. She should contact the Pension Service (contact local information point for this kind of help) as they can do a full check for her. She should get pension credit, council tax benefit and, if she still has a mortgage, help with mortgage interest. She can also ask them about what she gets from your late father's contributions, if she wants it clarified, but the main thing is to claim the benefits she's entitled to.

If she sells her home she would be living off the proceeds of the sale, and not receive any benefits until her capital had reached the threshhold (currently £10k for pension credit).
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Sirmyser - it would probably have been better if you'd started your own thread, rather than digging one up from the past. I think it would also be to your advantage to post either on the 'silver savers' or 'benefits' thread, since your mother's problem is not about pensions alone - it's more about her total income. If I were you/her, I would contact your local CAB and ask them to go through all that she might be entitled to.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 November 2009 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Agree with chesky; one way or another she should be getting more than £80 a week.

She should be able to claim Council Tax Discount of 25% if she is the only person living in her home; also Council Tax Benefit.

If £80 is genuinely her only income and she doesn't have a lot of savings, she should be able to claim Pension Credit which will make her income up to £130.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018692

However, as Chesky says, I would post this on the Benefits Board and also arrange a meeting with a Benefits Advisor at the CAB, who will be able to tell her what she is entitled to and help her to claim if necessary.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure