Ordering products from USA

I would like to order some hair products from the US, in smallish quantities from various companies, no more than a 100 items to sell in a subscription box. A lot of these products you cant find here, or are much cheaper than UK prices even with shipping costs. Would I be liable to pay any customs or duties on these? I tried contacting HMRC but the lines are extremely busy

Comments

• Yes you would pay duty and VAT on the items

Believe duty is 11% on cosmetics
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,041
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Plus you'll pay handling fees as well depending on the courier you use.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Giggidy wrote: »
    I would like to order some hair products from the US, in smallish quantities from various companies, no more than a 100 items to sell in a subscription box. A lot of these products you cant find here, or are much cheaper than UK prices even with shipping costs. Would I be liable to pay any customs or duties on these? I tried contacting HMRC but the lines are extremely busy
    even people who do not buy in order to sell must pay import duties so yes of course you will have to pay duties and VAT

you may want to check your business plan again...
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Yes, you'll pay duty and VAT. If the above is correct that'll be about +33% plus courier fee (may be as low as £8, £15 isn't uncommon). If they're cheap enough it's not a big deal BUT you (as importer and distributor) will be liable if they cause harm/have EU-illegal ingredients/whatever.
  • Giggidy
    Giggidy Posts: 256
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    even people who do not buy in order to sell must pay import duties so yes of course you will have to pay duties and VAT

you may want to check your business plan again...

Wow, you seem nice. Must be great knowing everything about everything, and never having to ask anyone questions about something you unsure of. Well done you :T
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Double check that it's legal to sell those products in this country - as they are personal care products it's possible they don't meet UK/EU laws. Often stuff sold under the same name in different countries has been altered in some way to be legal in each individual country and sold only through their authorised channels/suppliers for this reason.
  • Giggidy
    Forumite
    Double check that it's legal to sell those products in this country - as they are personal care products it's possible they don't meet UK/EU laws. Often stuff sold under the same name in different countries has been altered in some way to be legal in each individual country and sold only through their authorised channels/suppliers for this reason.

Thanks for the heads up! These products are sold in shops here that import from the US, obviously at an over-inflated price which is why I was thinking of buying direct, but won't be worth it either after factoring in Import VAT, courier fees / royal mail handling fees
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Giggidy wrote: »
    Wow, you seem nice. Must be great knowing everything about everything, and never having to ask anyone questions about something you unsure of. Well done you :T
    Your tone is surprising. You came here to ask for information and advice and it is good that you have received this before you went ahead with an order.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but you would also have had to pay VAT on the carriage costs.

Factory gate prices in foreign countries are often very low but once shipping, duty and VAT have been paid the price once you receive the items can be very different.
  • Giggidy
    Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    Your tone is surprising. You came here to ask for information and advice and it is good that you have received this before you went ahead with an order.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but you would also have had to pay VAT on the carriage costs.

Factory gate prices in foreign countries are often very low but once shipping, duty and VAT have been paid the price once you receive the items can be very different.

Thanks Martin, after the useful info I received on here, I decided not to go ahead, it just wouldn't be cost effective.

With regards to the response you quoted, as you said I came here for advice, and as often is the case on forums like this, most people are helpful, others just patronising and unnecessary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure