What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18

Comments

• Morning all,
    Today, I am:
    - Going to work, where study leave has started and I get lots of spare time to catch up
    - Making a packed lunch for work
    - Going to Rainbows - it costs me nothing but my time and is the most fun ever
    - Checking the bank
    - Getting to grips with the free trial of YNAB

Have a great day everyone x
  • Morning all :hello: Dawn and vick glad you have good news on your DH.

My efforts today:
    Frozen fruit and last of blueberry compote thing on yogurt for breakfast
    Hot drink for commute
    Soak some chickpeas, I’ll make hummus tomorrow
    HM broccoli and Stilton soup for lunch
    DH has broccoli and cauli bake for lunch
    Packed lunch for small
    Check banking, surveys and update sheet
    Load of washing on to keep on top of it
    Leaving work early to pick smalls up so no after school fees

And for those of you that grab the odd thing for the food bank, consider a pack of sanitary towels too, they are much needed by those in poverty. We gave extra to the food bank this year rather than Christmas cards to those folk we see all the time.

Enjoy your day peeps.
  • Morning all! Busy day here at SS household. Away for work tonight but made sure to book all relevant travel so I should just end up with meals x 3 to claim for. New regime means making sure I claim those this weekend rather than subsidise the organisation for longer!
    Manicure myself rather than rely on gel mani. Giving nails a rest and money-saving!
    Making beds and rooms ready for paying guests who arrive back just as I do. Some messages and info to sort out for them.
    One load of washing to get on and do as soon as current guest is out of the shower.
    B / L - stuff to eat up from the fridge :)
    Hair - planning to wash this at hotel tonight and just put up today!
    Need to find posh make up am confused as to where I might have left it!
    Several reports that stress me out to try to complete whilst WFH today. Will be so good when they are done! Just made a note to break it down - It's 4 seperate ones and two tricky conversations.
    Pack carefully for work trip so don't end up buying yet more toothpaste etc whilst away!
    Keep eye out for binmen to see if they take recycling overflow with them, fingers crossed, it's been mounting up for a month as I missed the pre Xmas one! Will feel hugely satisfied when it goes!
    Prepare for work CPD discussion with my boss in margins of event.
    Text DD with small earning opportunity for her if she'll help me with some guest related chores!
    Better get a wriggle on as I only have until 2pm to get much of that done!
  • Bigskies
    Bigskies Posts: 109 Forumite
    This week I’ve taken my head out of the sand, cut up the remaining credit card with credit left, and restarted my diary.
    Jan 2018 £68,274 May 1 2018 £59,537
    Percentage of total debt paid 12.79%
    2018 target £10k So far: £8737
    Monthly target £833 January £1129 Feb £1278 Mar £1176 Apr £5152
    POAYDBX18 #124 £8737/10,000
  • Hi everyone,

VTS what wonderful news.
    1LL and CCL thinking of you.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today so plan to get some exercise and some healthy food in the tank and hopefully stave whatever it is off.

We're moving flats in a week's time so starting to get some boxes packed up. Trying to use up as much as we can from the kitchen cupboards so could be some inventive dishes coming up this week!

Today I have/will:
    *pack for the move
    *sell old phone
    *sell home office furniture
    *free hot drink in town
    *few work admin tasks
    *book car in for service
    *check accounts

Hope you all have a great day,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    So, I tried the downshifting challenge yesterday.

Total was £5.20 under budget so I'm pleased with that! Noticed a difference of around 30-50p per item but there were some things I just couldn't downgrade on like cold meat. I don't want this to sound in any way elitist but there comes a point where value and quality meet each other on the scale and I don't want to eat over processed junk.

Aiming for 5p breakfasts for the rest of the month. 1kg porridge was £1 so 5p per portion assuming 50g roughly. Making it once I get to work so free milk and electricity ;)

And a "free" jar of peanut butter that's been in the cupboard since god-knows when, so a 50p loaf = about 5p per 2 slice serving
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Afternoon everyone

Welcome to all the newbies, great to see new faces joining in the thread. I love it, it keeps me on the straight and narrow!:j

Haven't really posted much - had the usual things like cat cleaning, lots of paperwork, trying to sort the house out more. Finding there are not enough hours in the day at the minute.

Also getting DD ready for her departure back to uni. Have built up a good snack bag for her to take back consisting of alot of reduced Christmas bits, which has saved me a fortune.
    I was lucky to be about when Tesc@ had reduced their tins of quality street to £1.25:T:T:T. Bought 6 tins, 3 are for DD boyfriend along with other reduced bits to make up a snack bag for him, especially has he has just bought DD 3 dresses for sports awards she needs to attend as she has been shortlisted:) DD's BF only went and spent £150:eek:.....I nearly passed out so a very full snack bag that has come in under a tenner is the least I can do, especially when he always sees DD when she comes from home carting her snack bags with her. She is in catered accommodation but has an extremely high metabolic rate. Needs to eat 3000 calories a day so not to lose weight and with sport on top they've upped her calories......me, I'm completely the opposite:o

many thanks Vickthestick for the parking ticket info. All done and sent so just a wait and see now.Really pleased to hear the news about your OH and DawnW I hope ur OH is alot happier now knowing that things can be done.

You were asking about bullet journelling. I bullet journal all my Christmas presents and birthday, what I've spent, what I've saved. Ideas for presents. Just summary sentences like 1LL does with her hearts. Also put anything else that is personal to me, need to put in a list of things I want to achieve this year. Because it is personal to me I feel more in control doing it.
    I have decided to start saving for 'operation living room'. This is going to cost quite abit but will also journal and log about this and what I need.
    Well best get cracking on doing some more 'putting away' and sorting out of bits.

have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2018 at 7:49PM
    Afternoon all :)
    Been wrestling with an online passport renewal application. Goodness knows if it was / will be successful or not, it didn't like my photo, for a completely stupid non-reason :huh: Anyway, time will tell! Well, I have had an email to say they have received the application, anyway :)

Other things:
    Berries from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit
    Walked into town to post an ebay parcel and some RM surveys items, noticed frozen veg are on offer in Iceland, £1 each for bags of peas, green beans and sweetcorn. Bought one of each, using shopping vouchers from RM surveys :) Also bought bread and potatoes which I had to pay actual money for - they were also £1 each.
    Got passport photos done at booth in post office
    HM soup for lunch, OH finished off the butternut squash, I had lettuce, pea and potato :)
    Coleslaw to make for dinner tonight OH decided he would rather have something else, so I will need to do this another time. Finishing off the dulce de leche /apple crumble. O.M.G. Not slimming food :eek:, so I won't be buying it again, but it was gorgeous :drool:
    Dog will need a walk OH did both today, trying to build up his movement :)
    Post old passport off using free stamp from RM surveys Done
    Finish vacuuming sitting room and dining room Done
    Check banks Done, no surprises
    Check for surveys Not yet :o
    Update my spreadsheet with today's spends Still to do
    DD rang from a local farm shop, they had local English lamb packs reduced to half price, so a nice bag of roasting joints, chops and stewing meat for £15. Couldn't miss a bargain like that, so need to play freezer tetris again :o

Hope everyone is having a good day :)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Fab trap, consider the reductions on the deli counter for your cold meats, if you go late afternoon things will often be reduced by 50%. The dates on the original packaging of the joints are usually quite a lot longer than the sm are allowed to sell them for and, if you're worried, they're all free able anyway.

1LuckyLady, we had a freebie pepper sauce on sausage and mash the other night, steak doesn't feature on the menu here either!

I have been in bed all day with a migraine arrack, I had to call in sick to work. I know what brought it on, I had run out of AD's and had to go cold turkey while I was waiting 48 hours for my prescription.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Evening all,
    Well, I haven't so much as set foot outdoors today as have been so busy at my desk. So I haven't spent any money whatsoever, but I'm not sure I've done anything actually money saving either. Oh hang on, I've done 2 things - next week's meal plans (though they're in my head & not on paper yet) & I've asked mr f if he'll get our Ziffit payments transferred from Paypal to our bank account.
    I am now going to finish knitting my sleeve.
    Love F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure