Where does everyone do their grocery shop

jackie_w
jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi there

I currently shop at Asda but was thinking about trying Aldi, Lidl and Farmfood and probably Morrison and Sainsburys as I am lucky enough to that all these supermarkets are very close to me.

So I'm really just looking for people's opinions and what they would/wouldn't buy from the cheaper supermarkets.

Comments

• THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Tesco and Aldi-they are the only supermarkets in town apart from the Co-op which is expensive and has very unhelpful staff.I try to buy as much as possible from Aldi but still do the bulk of my shopping in Tesco simply because Aldi doesn't stock everything I want.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,182 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Depends on your personal needs TBH

Some must buy everything all in one shop, all on one day in one go, in which case the Lidl etc will not suit due to lack of 15 types of baked beans for example [jokette]

I find Asda sort of does me for general needs, but also a have choice of Morrison's, Sainsbury, Lidl, Marks, Home Bargains, Co-op & Waitrose and do pick & choose from them, for instance bread from Waitrose, bacon from Marks, veg from Lidl

I am a shopping tart and have no loyalty to any brand or shop but do not mooch round looking to save a penny, if the quality matches the price I will buy it, hence Mark's bacon for instance
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    90% shopping done at Aldi, some things like Lime Squash and brown rice from Sainsburys, but only go there once a month/6 weeks.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Tesco as we have an Extra close to us.
    I can hop on the local bus with my shopping trolley and pick up any bargains.
    We also have Iceland - I buy odd bits such as mushy peas, tinned tuna etc.

I occasionally pop into Lidl if I'm going past and maybe buy a few bits from Home Bargains or B&M or £1 shops.

I think if we had Lidl or Aldi or Asda close by, I'd consider changing my shopping habits.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    90% shopping done at Aldi, some things like Lime Squash and brown rice from Sainsburys, but only go there once a month/6 weeks.

That could be me except I buy grapefruit squash! 😃

Seriously though, I think I get good value buying 90% of the shopping in Aldi and the rest in Sainsbury's and some trips to Farmfoods to stock up on a few favourites. It's also effective in terms of fuel and time as these shops are close together where I live.
  • LindaMary
    LindaMary Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Lidl every week. Only go to Asda for things I can't get there or bulky items ( do click and collect) and that's only once a month or less now!
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Tesco and Aldi-they are the only supermarkets in town apart from the Co-op which is expensive and has very unhelpful staff.I try to buy as much as possible from Aldi but still do the bulk of my shopping in Tesco simply because Aldi doesn't stock everything I want.

What do you need help with on your food shop? Can honestly say ive never had to ask someone who works in a food shop a question other than how they where doing and could i have a carrier bag please (although they normally offer when its needed?!). I just cant envisage a situation where i would need to ask them for help?

I shop mainly at aldi. Have a co-op around the corner that gets used if we've forgotten something or run out. Cant remember finding anything that ive thought is particularly worse than branded versions (worst case it would be on par with the big 4 own brands)

Cant imagine it will cost you too much to buy everything you normally buy from aldi and just see which items you like or dislike.

Beans is normally the go to one and found aldi beans are much nicer than the watery heinz beans (which i never knew was that watery until i bought aldis).

Veg doesnt tend to last too long meat is good and for the most part locally sourced and on the odd occasion you might walk out with a welder or an action sports camera. Not to mention its fun trying to work out the tenuous links with their branding. Ie aldis own snickers are called racers, took me a while to get to marathon (im young, theyve always been snickers). I wont spoil any more for you.
  • By choice (so that is where I used to do my "basic shop") = Waitrose. Reason - the most interesting/best quality food.

Now I've moved and the nearest Waitrose is so far away I havent even figured out where it is = I'm at my 3rd choice supermarket (ie Tesco) - as there's no Sainsburys anywhere nearby either.

The odd thing from Aldi - pretty much my coffee only - as their French or Italian packet coffee are cheaper than Tesco's equivalent. Maybe the odd other thing - eg mixed seafood or some types of frozen fruit (as the local Tesco seems to be too small to stock it).

Has to be the Tesco, rather than Aldi, though as I can't get my milk/butter/basic cheese from Aldi - as the local one doesnt stock organic.

That's about 50% of my shopping I guess. The rest comes from health food shops (of the type run by ageing hippies) basically. The supermarkets here don't tend to stock organic grains, organic dried fruit, etc, etc - so I have to go there for them.
  • oldhaggis
    oldhaggis Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2016 at 3:38PM
    Sainsbury's for the big weekly shop. M&S for certain own brand items which we prefer eg Extra Strong tea bags and white sliced bread. Also their dine in for £10 with free wine offers and their frozen fish when on 3 for 2. Small local Asda for occasional mid week top ups and freshly baked bread.

Sadly, no branches of Lidl or Aldi very near, so have to make a special journey at Christmas for their yummy continental specialities.

I bulk buy from whichever supermarket has my branded goods of choice on special offer eg Ribena, Felix Sensations cat food and triple velvet loo roll. I always check prices first on https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk before making a special trip.

I have a good local greengrocer which stocks competitively priced fruit and veg.
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    we have a new farm foods and i'm really impressed, i haven't tried their own brand stuff yet, just been getting branded (birds eye , felix etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure