Can't switch supplier as national database incorrect??

I've been trying for over a month to switch supplier for gas and electric and am at my wits end! I hope someone can help as I really don't know who to contact next.
I'm currently with E-On and have just come out of a fixed tariff so am now on their most expensive one. I first tried to switch to Extra Energy via comparethemarket but got a message saying the details I'd given for the meter didn't match the national database as it had my house listed as having a prepayment meter. I called CTM and they put the details in again, with the same result. They advised me to call E-On and ask them to check their records - they said they had the correct details and confirmed that they had no record of my house ever having a prepayment meter. I called CTM back, they resubmitted the application with a note explaining this. Same result. I tried doing it directly via Extra Energy's website, same result. By this time nearly 3 weeks had gone by while I waited for replies or for a time when I could make phone calls. I gave up on Extra Energy, assuming it was an issue just with them, but have had the same problem with the other two suppliers I've now tried. Neither of them have been able to tell me what I can do to resolve this, so does anyone on here have any suggestions? After some research to find out what the national database is, I tried calling Ecoes but was told they couldn't give out information over the phone and only non-domestic organisations can apply to see information on the database! I'm really fed up of all this, so any help will be gratefully received.

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 October 2015 at 10:45AM
    I've been trying for over a month to switch supplier for gas and electric and am at my wits end! I hope someone can help as I really don't know who to contact next.
    I'm currently with E-On and have just come out of a fixed tariff so am now on their most expensive one. I first tried to switch to Extra Energy via comparethemarket but got a message saying the details I'd given for the meter didn't match the national database as it had my house listed as having a prepayment meter. I called CTM and they put the details in again, with the same result. They advised me to call E-On and ask them to check their records - they said they had the correct details and confirmed that they had no record of my house ever having a prepayment meter. I called CTM back, they resubmitted the application with a note explaining this. Same result. I tried doing it directly via Extra Energy's website, same result. By this time nearly 3 weeks had gone by while I waited for replies or for a time when I could make phone calls. I gave up on Extra Energy, assuming it was an issue just with them, but have had the same problem with the other two suppliers I've now tried. Neither of them have been able to tell me what I can do to resolve this, so does anyone on here have any suggestions? After some research to find out what the national database is, I tried calling Ecoes but was told they couldn't give out information over the phone and only non-domestic organisations can apply to see information on the database! I'm really fed up of all this, so any help will be gratefully received.

Hello, and welcome to MSE :hello:

If I understand you correctly, you have attempted to switch supplier 4 times in about a month?

The first time was to ExtraEnergy, and they were the first to alert you to this issue.

You have been in contact with CTM a number of times and ecoes (whoever they both are) as well as your current supplier Eon. Eon say that your details are correctly registered on the database.

You applied to Extra Energy again, despite nothing having changed.

And now you've applied to switch to 2 other suppliers as well , and they both support what you were told by Extra Energy ... all this within about a month?

Which other 2 suppliers were they that you contacted? Which was the latest one?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2015 at 11:01AM
    Lucky escape not being to switch to ExtraEnergy.

Do a check on USwitch as EO.n are offering a good tariff that is not available to the open market - might put off your problem for a while and you can try to sort it out whilst on a cheap tariff.

Are you in a flat or a house ? Is it a newish development ? Is there a card / sticker on the meters stating when they were replaced ?

I think the way forward is to raise a written complaint to E.On. May be worth contacting the E.On reps on here, they will often help with problems that the front line call centre staff are incapable of sorting.
  • Footyguy - "CTM" was a way to avoid me having to repeatedly write "comparethemarket" after I'd initially mentioned them, sorry if that wasn't clear. Ecoes seem to be the organisation which is in charge of the national database for energy meters. As I said, I've attempted to switch to 3 different suppliers in the last month, all of which have been unsuccessful because of the national database apparently being incorrect. I initially thought that it might be an issue with Extra Energy themselves, as I've lived in my house for 8 years and have never had any problems switching suppliers before, which is why I then tried the other two. The next one I tried was Robin Hood Energy and I just kept getting an error message when I tried to switch online, so I wasn't aware until I phoned them that it was related to the national database. In the meantime, I'd also tried First Utility with no success.

Molerat - having since seen more reviews of Extra Energy, I do think I've had a lucky escape! The reviews I initially read were all good, but having done some more research it looks like I've done well to avoid them.
    I have checked both Uswitch and comparethemarket and E.on don't offer anything remotely comparable to the cheaper plans, and with their lowest price plans I'd be tied into it for at least a year. I'm in a 100 year old house which to the best of my knowledge has never had a pre-payment meter - I've been here for 8 years and the current meters look like they've been there for a pretty long time. I've switched suppliers at least 3 times since moving in and I've never had any problems with it before so I don't know why this time is so problematical.
    Since posting, I've spoken to someone at E.on who said that they didn't have me listed as having a pre-payment meter, but that they will request that the national database be checked to make sure it shows the correct meter type. Whether this will be successful is anyone's guess!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 October 2015 at 8:02PM
    Footyguy - "CTM" was a way to avoid me having to repeatedly write "comparethemarket" after I'd initially mentioned them, sorry if that wasn't clear. Ecoes seem to be the organisation which is in charge of the national database for energy meters. As I said, I've attempted to switch to 3 different suppliers in the last month, all of which have been unsuccessful because of the national database apparently being incorrect. I initially thought that it might be an issue with Extra Energy themselves, as I've lived in my house for 8 years and have never had any problems switching suppliers before, which is why I then tried the other two. The next one I tried was Robin Hood Energy and I just kept getting an error message when I tried to switch online, so I wasn't aware until I phoned them that it was related to the national database. In the meantime, I'd also tried First Utility with no success.

Molerat - having since seen more reviews of Extra Energy, I do think I've had a lucky escape! The reviews I initially read were all good, but having done some more research it looks like I've done well to avoid them.
    I have checked both Uswitch and comparethemarket and E.on don't offer anything remotely comparable to the cheaper plans, and with their lowest price plans I'd be tied into it for at least a year. I'm in a 100 year old house which to the best of my knowledge has never had a pre-payment meter - I've been here for 8 years and the current meters look like they've been there for a pretty long time. I've switched suppliers at least 3 times since moving in and I've never had any problems with it before so I don't know why this time is so problematical.
    Since posting, I've spoken to someone at E.on who said that they didn't have me listed as having a pre-payment meter, but that they will request that the national database be checked to make sure it shows the correct meter type. Whether this will be successful is anyone's guess!

Thanks for the explanation.

So of the 3 different suppliers you have attempted to switch to, do you have any written explanation (letter or email) as to why they have been unable to switch you as requested. i.e. do any of them specifically state it is because of the national database not providing the correct information for the meter you have?
    If so, which supplier or suppliers do you have this from?

I ask because, for example. the robinhood online application simply asks for details like your name, address, phone number etc, (plus bank account details to set up the DD) and I can't see that online application form checking real time direct with the national database. If it did, I would have thought it would return the reason the application failed, not just give a generic system error message. I know you said you then phoned them and they informed you over the phone it was a mismatch on the national database that caused the error, but did they put that in writing?
  • I have emails from comparethemarket regarding my application to Extra Energy which say it has been rejected as the information I gave about the meter doesn't match the national database. With the other two companies, I tried to apply directly on their websites but just got a generic error message. When I phoned Robin Hood Energy, they looked into it and told me it was because the national database had my house recorded as having a prepayment meter.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Good morning Rosaespanola and welcome to the forums.

I'll try and give a little bit of info around customers changing supplier, to try and make things clear.

A customer approaches a new supplier, either through a broker site or directly, the new supplier takes all the details and contacts the old supplier, in between all of this lots of details are passed through third parties to verify meters and readings etc.

Ecoes is a database that all suppliers use to check addresses, meter serial numbers and holds lots of other bit's and bobs, this will always need updating when a customer changes supplier as the current and previous suppliers also have to show on here.

So, it's a bit odd that you've changed supplier in the past with no issues, but now you're being stopped as Ecoes is not matching your information.

If you'd like me to help and check your account against the database and sort it out for you, please just let me know.

You can email your account number, name and full address to the email address in my profile page, then I can have a look and reply from there.

Thank you

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Take Helena up on her offer OP! From what I've seen of her action on MSE, she's a lady who gets things done!
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    strange my post was deleted...
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    Take Helena up on her offer OP! From what I've seen of her action on MSE, she's a lady who gets things done!

Thanks so much! I try :o

Helena :D
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • mjstokes85
    mjstokes85 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am having the same issue! Moved in to a house on Feb 12th, Scottish Power are the supplier, I want to take sainsburys from my last house so phoned up both explaining. I was told by sainsburys I have a pre pay meter and they can't supply. I don't have a pre pay meter! I've now been on the phone to Scottish power 5 times and been told the ecoes database has been updated to reflect that I don't have a pre pay, but sainsburys say it hasn't! Basically it was a pre pay but the bloke who refurbed the house got it swapped and it never got updated. Anyway as Scottish power, despite the fact say it's updated, still think I have a pre pay essentially I am getting free electricity! I've told them I don't have a key but they insist I do, even though they now insist the database is updated! So I've had no elec bill and I am stuck as I can't switch to sainsburys, this is a nightmare!! I've complained officially to Scottish power via email and sent pics of the meter, but told they can't do anything until 28 days are up!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback