PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

MimiJane
MimiJane Posts: 7,962
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 20 September 2017 at 8:20AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi all,

Having just moved house, the carpets here are pretty filthy. I've got up the majority of the dirt stains up with white vinegar, but there are a few that just won't shift (particularly in the bathroom!).

Any ideas on how to remove these stubborn stains please?

Thanks.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    EWWW throw the bathroom one out :o:o:o

bicarb and vinegar together let it soak and then blot

otherwise squeeze a spongeful of bio powder solution (strong) over the stain and leave overnight

should blot out and rinse well or the muck will stick to the soap crystals left
  • MimiJane
    Forumite
    Thanks Cathy .... will try this.

Yes, we're going to throw the bathroom carpet out eventually, it's disgusting! Not as easy as that though, somone's had the basin raised in the past 'cos of a bad back and carpet's at different levels and impossible to lino at the moment.

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not exactly 'old style' cleaning, but you could try the 1001 Spot Shot.  It's on a 'try me free' offer at the moment (but only at Asda.)  It is really excellent stuff, gets marks and stains up instantly.
  • MimiJane
    Forumite

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had three little blob stains, something the kids had done. I tired to clean them a few times but they when they dried they just got bigger so I gave up and got the professionals in, THEY ARE STILL THERE so disappointing.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• md123
    md123 Posts: 148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Should the bicarb and vinegar make a thick or thin paste?  Probably a silly question but wasn't quite sure what to do.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    btw cathy, by bio powder do you mean washing powder??
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    yes biological powder

dont forget how good it is for pots and pans and dirty oven dishes as well by the way

the vinegar and bicarb say half a mug of vinegar/water (1/4 mug of each) and a tablespoon of bicarb should do it
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i use bio powder to mop kitchen floor, works a treat. half a scoop in bucket full warm water. comes up fab.
  • coolsteel
    coolsteel Posts: 356
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all My daughter had a party and a drink was spilt and has now stained the carpet, this happened 12 months ago and as the stain is the same colour as the carpet it is not to noticeable, but would love to get rid of this stain without damaging the colour of the carpet. Any suggestions would be grateful.
    A fool and their money are easily parted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure