Alternatives to Vanguard LifeStrategy

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends who's measuring the risk and how, but, for example, the view from Trustnet is that VLS60 is a 57 on their scale, with L&G 5 at 54 and L&G 6 at 67.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You don't need to differentiate between the Acc and Inc classes as regards risk, they are the same underlying fund
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok thanks for the replies,

L&G 5 Acc looks good.
    :T
  • principa
    principa Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Vanguard have a retirement funds now that derisks as you age - so you start off at 80/20 and end up 20/80- could be an option?
  • roxy28
    First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2017 at 2:09PM
    Options
    The L&G Multi index 5 has a higher ongoing charge of 0.31% against 0.22% with the VLS60, so the L&G 5 will have to do better over time to compensate?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    roxy28 wrote: »
    The L&G Multi index 5 has a higher ongoing charge of 0.31% against 0.22% with the VLS60, so the L&G 5 will have to do better over time to compensate?

Note that published performance always includes the effect of fund charges.

Differences in what the funds invest in will have a much larger effect than 0.09% in charges. In each of the past 3 years the returns were:

VLS 60: 20.2%,1.0%,11.4%
    L&G 5: 17.4%, -0.7%, 11.7%

The figures dont tell you one fund is better than another - for example it could well be that the L&G fund is a bit more cautious or has a different geographic allocation.
  • Sally57
    Sally57 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another good alternative to VLS and L&G is the HSBC Global Strategy range of funds. They are cheap and performed well in comparison to the other two. It has less holdings in the UK which with Brexit some people believe is good? It's just another option for research.
  • roxy28
    First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2017 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Sally57 wrote: »
    Another good alternative to VLS and L&G is the HSBC Global Strategy range of funds. They are cheap and performed well in comparison to the other two. It has less holdings in the UK which with Brexit some people believe is good? It's just another option for research.
    Linton wrote: »
    Note that published performance always includes the effect of fund charges.

Differences in what the funds invest in will have a much larger effect than 0.09% in charges. In each of the past 3 years the returns were:

VLS 60: 20.2%,1.0%,11.4%
    L&G 5: 17.4%, -0.7%, 11.7%

The figures dont tell you one fund is better than another - for example it could well be that the L&G fund is a bit more cautious or has a different geographic allocation.

Ok thanks,i will also look at the HSBC option if i can gauge the same risk level as the other 2
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sally57 wrote: »
    I like the look of the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Portfolio:
    https://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factsheet.aspx?fundCode=0GF7N&univ=O
    To me it looks like a good option to have in addition to VLS so as not to have all my eggs in the VLS basket. It also seems to have less exposure to UK Equity than VLS and also includes property.

I'd be interested to see what others think of this fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure