Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Comments

• redcard
    redcard Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Hi,
    I'm currently within the Equifax 30 day free trial period and rang 0800 1214752 to cancel my membership. As it's a Sunday afternoon I wasn't expecting to get through but got straight through to a real person without having to go through those 'Press 1 for ...', etc.

To prove who I was I had to give my credit reference number along with name, address, etc. but the guy was polite and helpful. He tried to offer a half-price deal and then a 6 months free deal but when I said no to both he accepted it without giving me any hassle. He said that I'd get an email confirming the cancellation within 5-10 minutes.

The call only took 4 minutes and the cancellation email arrived within 5 minutes. :j

You think 4 minutes+ on the phone to cancel an account you set up online is good service?? :eek:
    Hope over Fear. #VoteYes
  • pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    I signed up to an equifax free trial, mainly to check my credit file was okay - hadn't done for over a year.

I cancelled the free trial 6 days before the end of the month, by phone,

However 7 days later they charged me £14.99 on my credit card.

I've just phoned back and they confirm they can see I called to cancel but for some reason it didn't happen... Hmmm....

I've now had an email confirming it is cancelled, and hopefully will have a refund in 10 days...

If you take one of these free trials, make sure you keep an eye out for the email when you call to cancel...

They also tried to offer me compensation of another free trial - which I declined!!!

I have a feeling the failed to cancel on purpose to try and keep me as a paying member...
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am only about 1 week into the free trial on Equifax, but I 'sent a question' this afternoon asking for my subscription to be cancelled, and I've just received emails confirming cancellation.. that was quick!
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • Hi old 08007839421 number now not in use, I called 08001214752 got through without waiting and was cancelled after 2 mins with a few uh!! sorry your leaving us but would you like to, Eh no thanks and that was it no hassle and as easy as 1 2 3 .:T
  • Hi everyone,

I signed up to both the equinox and experian free trials and cancelled them within the relevant period.

Howver, a couple of days back I got an email from equifax subject 'Failed payment' and then telling me that my card has either expired or the card issuer declined payment. I thought maybe this is part of the normal cancellation policy but I have this morning received one of the alert emails to notify me that there has been a change to my credit file.

I'm just worried that they haven't cancelled the account properly and it's now gone onto my credit report as a missed payment?

Anybody else experienced this??

Thanks
    Chris
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    allmanc wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I signed up to both the equinox and experian free trials and cancelled them within the relevant period.

Howver, a couple of days back I got an email from equifax subject 'Failed payment' and then telling me that my card has either expired or the card issuer declined payment. I thought maybe this is part of the normal cancellation policy but I have this morning received one of the alert emails to notify me that there has been a change to my credit file.

I'm just worried that they haven't cancelled the account properly and it's now gone onto my credit report as a missed payment?

Anybody else experienced this??

Thanks
    Chris

Call them and ask.
  • borconi
    borconi Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 October 2014 at 10:15AM
    kelfringe wrote: »
    I too have noticed £2.99 taken from my bank account twice over the last week!! Im disgusted that they are doing this as I cancelled my account about 8 months ago. Just phoned their cust services and got so fed up I put the phone down and spoke to my bank account who are blocking and refunding.

They need to be challenged about this AND their website is rubbish!

Fuming is the polite way about how I feel !!!:mad:

I had an account with them for a few month and did ordered some credit reports as well. All nice, then last year in July I decided to cancel, which I did by phone. Again all fine, the payments stopped and I totally forgot about them. Now today I was reconciling my bank statements, expenses, incomes etc, and I spotted an Equifax charge of 2.99 on my debit card. I started digging into it and I found another 3 charges for July, Aug, Sept current year. I called them up asking what the ....? The answer, hold on to this:

"Last year when you cancelled you ordered a free Lite watch program, which was free for 1 year and now we are charging you 2.99 £ / month".

Should I say that I was fuming.... This is unbelievable..... I have made an official complain and I'm waiting now for somebody to listen to the phone recording for last year, and to issue me a refund and an apology for the scrupulous and unfair trade. It's not about the money, I'm not fused about 2.99, it's about the whole concept of using dirty cheap sales tricks, which makes me sick. Not expecting it from a company who's basing the advert campaign on how their product is able to protect you from this..... Disgusting...

Foot note: I searched all my emails from them and I have a written confirmation that I have cancelled my account without any mentioning of any other free products, or future charges or anything like this. Honestly I'm thinking to take legal action against them..... Very, very, VERY annoyed....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • I just called to cancel and reading from the posts here, some comments are true. They did try to offer some services. But I declined politely and I made sure that everything is cancelled i.e. 'Credit Report', 'Credit Score' and 'Monthly Credit File Alert'. He said he will send a confirmation email that I have cancelled, and when I mentioned that I have read in some websites about this email not received, etc. and people have been charged, he gave me a reference number for the cancellation.

SO WHEN CANCELLING PLEASE ASK FOR THE CANCELLATION REFERENCE NUMBER SO IF ANY PROBLEM SEND AN EMAIL QUOTING THAT NUMBER AND DATE OF CANCELLATION.

Now...lemme go n check me email..
  • From reading the comments on this thread it seems to be a lottery as to whether you're treated well or terribly by Equifax.

After ordering my credit report in Jan 2014, I called to cancel. I got the hard sell, but insisted that I just wanted to cancel.

10 months later - after discovering that SSE have been inept and continued charging me 3 months after moving out - I have also discovered that I am STILL getting charged by Equifax. Not the £2.99 that some posters have mentioned, but a whole £14.95. Partly my fault for not spotting it before now, but still annoyed that they've wrangled a whole load of money out of me despite following procedure. That's not going to help my credit score, is it?!

To say that I am not impressed is an understatement. :mad:

I feel the best option is to seek legal advice and try to get these kind of organisations to act honourably.
  • I noticed that two amounts of £2.99 had been taken from my bank account by Equifax. On looking on here, and looking at my emails from a year ago I found that I had cancelled my Equifax account 1 year ago, and confirmed in an email to them, which simply stated that I wanted the account cancelled. I did not agree to any other service, yet they have started taking this money. I have just spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to get it sorted out, and was told that they could cancel the subscription but that they couldn't give me a refund and that I had to do that using their website at equifax then forward slash ask (I couldn't input the URL) I complained this was ridiculous but was told it was the only way I could ask for a refund. So I did it whilst she was still on the phone, but it asks for a category and then a question subject - but guess what - REFUNDS aren't on there at all! So after lots of messing around I have now submitted the question to this stupid system asking for my refund and confirming that if I do not receive it within 7 days I will report them to Trading Standards (and I work with the ECC Trading Standards a lot through my work) and the police. This is out and out theft! They should not be allowed to get away with it. Yes it is only £2.99 a month, but the principle is the same if it was £299 a month. They should not be taking it. For safety, I am also contacting my bank to ask that they also stop it from their end, as I cannot trust this thieves any longer. If they think this will ever mean I go back to them if I need a credit report in the future they will be very much mistaken. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure