The Mortgage Free in Three - Take 4 challenge (MFiT-T4)

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    SL.. I did the same thing...have now adjusted the reminders too :)

Have a great weekend folks
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brila
    brila Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Have just done my first update! Balance now £38,786, so £17,161 paid off in first quarter. Progress will definitely be slower now - the novelty is wearing off and less junk about to sell... Plus work is quieter in the spring and summer. But an encouraging start.
    On a mission.
  • catriona79
    catriona79 Posts: 855 Forumite
    brila wrote: »
    Have just done my first update! Balance now £38,786, so £17,161 paid off in first quarter. Progress will definitely be slower now - the novelty is wearing off and less junk about to sell... Plus work is quieter in the spring and summer. But an encouraging start.

Whoa, that's amazing, brila.
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Great going, brila! :T

I've updated - no savings whatsoever to speak of to add. :(

Had a very strange start to the year with my hours at work cut to the bone, but I've found myself a new job which started just last week. I will be making lots more pennies (hurrah!) so should be back on track soon and will make up the shortfall by mid/end of the year. Whew!

Good luck, everyone!
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • catriona79
    catriona79 Posts: 855 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2016 at 9:11AM
    Morning all,

I've totted up the difference in my net worth since this challenge began, and updated my signature with it. It's in the range of £2600.
    25th of each month is the day I get paid my second income, so I am not sure whether to wait until then or just update now, as it will not make that much difference, and will just be counted at the next update.

What are the rest of you doing?

Very excited about the first update! :)

EDIT: I realised updates have to be in by 24th, so that was an easy decision. First update submitted :)
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • FreedomGirl
    FreedomGirl Posts: 155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi,

I've managed to cut down the odd coffee and am sticking to home brought lunches (except yesterday and today - and spending £4.50 for an M&S meal deal now seems soooooo extravagant so I've definitely switched to a different mindset ):D

However, spending plans are about take precedent over saving plans as my hubby is celebrating a significant birthday this weekend. I plan to enjoy every bit of the spend :)

Here's to the 25th April report, coming soon !

FG

P.S. Taka, I was unemployed for a period during MFiT-1 (I think it was that far back...), strangely enough MFiT helped keep me cheerful during the 18 months I was without a proper salary ! And I got made redundant last year and had over 4 months without a salary.

Hang on in there, know how it feels :(
    MFiT-T4 Number 68
    MFiT 4 Goal - Build up savings (SIPP, ISA etc.) to £250k . Current balance £174748 (1/8/16).
    Crazy goal - £500k by Jan 2026.

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've just submitted my first update. The mortgage is down to £101000. Almost into the 90s :dance:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Update 1, and i'm down from £135k at the start to £128,414, so a drop of £6571. Just green, I think? :D

For me update 1 marks ten years since we took out the mortgage and moved in, and also the £100k paid off mark - we started at £229k, and just dropped under £129k. Amazingly almost two thirds of that has been in the last three years, when we started seriously focusing on overpaying, and the plan is to be mortgage free in late 2020, which would be a bit over ten years early. Shows what a difference some OP's can make, wish we'd started a bit earlier :D
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    I've just submitted my first update. The mortgage is down to £101000. Almost into the 90s :dance:

The feeling when you drop below £100K is awesome!!
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,
    P.S. Taka, I was unemployed for a period during MFiT-1 (I think it was that far back...), strangely enough MFiT helped keep me cheerful during the 18 months I was without a proper salary ! And I got made redundant last year and had over 4 months without a salary.

Hang on in there, know how it feels :(
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. It is the 3rd time in 5 years which is just rubbish (lots of short term contracts in my field.) In good news I just started a new job! :j It is only a year's contract which is not ideal but that is better than nothing!

Oh well, being forced to keep my outgoings low for a bit means I now know where I can shave some £££s of my monthy spends which should be good news for my MFiT-4 challenge!

I received a surprise tax refund of £236.80 so I've just OP'd it. :D I'm behind for the 1st update date but at least I'm off the starting blocks! :beer: I've also opened a 5% regular saver so will be saving to that instead of OPing for the next year.
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure