silent treatment

1234568»

Comments

• freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have only scanned 1st and last post, so ignore if not applicable. IME, silent treatment from oh to me was due to undiagnosed depression. I only know this retrospectively though, and the.emotional repercussions for me are on going over 3 years later.
  • Thanks for all the comments... some more helpful than others! Yes was husband, silence IS used to bully, I can see that. Splitting up ... may come to that, depression .. yes probably but he will not admit it and will DEF not take anything... could be caused by morphine due to 6 operations in 5 years but been off that for at least 3 years now. 'Things' don't work as they used too ... ! So he does get p****d off about that... and I no longer feel that I should be the one to instigate affection all the time. I am more concerned now about other things he does... Willy waving being one.... in our back garden but if he gets seen and reported.. do I deny knowing or what? Latest today was due to not being to park outside a hospital. I was driving. Got my bag thrown at me. I said to take the car and park where he could and then come and find me inside. He find me but only to give me the keys then sat outside for the hour it took. Then ignored me all way home, and is now shut away in bedroom. Ho hum. Will be a quiet day.
    Been together for 30 years but only this bad for last few. Did he hide it well or have I just got more aware?
    Cheers to all.
  • Thanks for all the comments... some more helpful than others! Yes was husband, silence IS used to bully, I can see that. Splitting up ... may come to that, depression .. yes probably but he will not admit it and will DEF not take anything... could be caused by morphine due to 6 operations in 5 years but been off that for at least 3 years now. 'Things' don't work as they used too ... ! So he does get p****d off about that... and I no longer feel that I should be the one to instigate affection all the time. I am more concerned now about other things he does... Willy waving being one.... in our back garden but if he gets seen and reported.. do I deny knowing or what? Latest today was due to not being to park outside a hospital. I was driving. Got my bag thrown at me. I said to take the car and park where he could and then come and find me inside. He find me but only to give me the keys then sat outside for the hour it took. Then ignored me all way home, and is now shut away in bedroom. Ho hum. Will be a quiet day.
    Been together for 30 years but only this bad for last few. Did he hide it well or have I just got more aware?
    Cheers to all.
    Whats Willy waving? He likes walking around outside naked? Or is he trying to expose himself to others?
    Were you driving when he threw your bag at you? Either way he'd have been either apologising or walking home.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Might he have early dementia?
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • JoJoB
    JoJoB Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    The "willy waving" is an extra concern, which makes it difficult to ascertain exactly what is going on with his mental health, but whatever it is, exposing himself in public is a serious issue and not normal behaviour.

In regard to the silent treatment there are various degrees of this, Some are relatively understandable personality traits, but some veer on personality disorders. I have a friend who's marriage is breaking up because of the latter, who's husband does this for weeks on end, complete avoidance reflected in his avoidance of other things in life such as social events, developing a career, learning to drive, spending time with family etc.

Look at the bigger picture, is the silent treatment a thing on its own or part of a bigger picture of avoidance and distortion of thinking?
    2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The silent treatment seems more like the outcome of a very damaged marriage than a problem of its own.

You both sound very unhappy together. Do you still love him?
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2016 at 8:57AM
    I go for the silent treatment. The OH and I are both really laid back so arguments are really rare. We ave one every 7 years lol

This being said, if i get my dander up i go from sweet, pleasant and chilled to a massive thundering temper - huge. I mean erupting volcano type of outburst - made all the suprising as i am normally very quiet and gentle.

So massive that it takes a while for me to simmer down. I am not talking the days or weeks people on here have mentioned but a day or so.

I love my wonderful OH and wouldn't want to say the nasty horrible things that rise to the surface when my temper is raging - its not fair or right. but my temper has a itchy trigger finger for a few days.

So i shut up and avoid until the lid is back on the box.

As we are adults we can talk about it later so he knows this is my coping mechanism, its not a punishment or a rebuke.

(he sulks, really sulks - uggh. Luckily, as said before its rare we argue - thank goodness as it brings out the worst in both of us)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure