PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can landlords check if new tenants have previous rent arrears with the local council?

Options
I have rent arrears (owed to my local council) and I may be moving in to a new flat. I will be paying off these arrears but not before it comes to the time of the viewing/moving in.

Will the new landlord/housing association be able to find out that I have rent arrears with the council (without asking me)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'll help some other members on here so as not to be taking and not giving!

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    referencing, CCJ from council?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Whateverrr
    Options
    There's no CCJ, just £600 in unpaid rent! I'm wondering whether the new landlord can find this out by asking the council!

I don't know what referencing is, maybe this is what I'm talking about.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, the council aren't going to release information without your consent. But your new landlord may well expect you to get a reference from the council.
  • Whateverrr
    Options
    Thank you very much! You rock.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Whateverrr wrote: »
    There's no CCJ, just £600 in unpaid rent!

Well unless you address the later the former won't continue to be the case....
  • Whateverrr
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    Well unless you address the later the former won't continue to be the case....

* runs away *
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OP pay your dues, we all have to, why are you special? Hope you get what you deserve , good luck
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Options
    Whateverrr wrote: »
    I have rent arrears (owed to my local council) and I may be moving in to a new flat. I will be paying off these arrears but not before it comes to the time of the viewing/moving in.....
    Sincerely hope the council are taking vigorous measures to recover the debt. So you owe to the council: Who do you think pays for that until you do/if you don't? Yes, it's the rest of us taxpayers: Please respect those good old British traditions of decency & fair play & pay up, promptly....
    ...Will the new landlord/housing association be able to find out that I have rent arrears with the council (without asking me)?......
    Possibly: If you look at this from Experian
    http://www.experian.co.uk/rental-exchange/tenants.html
    ..they say...
    If you are a social housing tenant, your landlord can provide your rental payment record to Experian on a regular basis.
    - so maybe certainly housing association will: I have a feeling some HAs & councils cross-check tenants between them, certainly taking up references: They certainly bleedin' well should to prevent scarce, cheaper, housing being wasted on the undeserving: (I make no comment on you yourself necessarily being one of the undeserving cheating bilkers...),

Are you perhaps being evicted for rent arrears or has there been a court case regarding you failing to pay as you contractually agreed to?

Best regards

And it's quite possible
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Who do you think pays for that until you do/if you don't? Yes, it's the rest of us taxpayers:

Actually - as most Council housing bodies are now self funded housing companies/associations - I think (I could be wrong - there are lots of different structures now) you may find that it is the many council tenants who don't get housing benefit who are covering the shortfall - not the general 'tax payer'
    If its a case that there is arrears because benefits were not due and were not paid - then I can't see where the 'tax payer' comes into it.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    OP pay your dues, we all have to, why are you special? Hope you get what you deserve , good luck
    To be fair to the OP they have said they are paying the arrears back so not running from it.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure