silent treatment

Comments

• Do something odd to break the ice like keep putting some Primark Ugg type boots in the fridge, that would be so odd they would have to break the silence to ask you why.
    Why would that be odd?
  • Scary Wife never shuts up, want to swap for a week?
    You should know - It seems to be the OP's husband who isn't talking. Still want to swap your wife for him?
  • Happier_Me
    Happier_Me Posts: 563 Forumite
    Second wife's are sooooo much better.

My husband keeps telling me that second marriages are the best marriages. Trouble is we're both still on our first! Neither of us seem keen on leaving though so I guess we're stuck with each other.

I've no experience of the silent treatment myself, we rarely argue but if we do, we make sure never to go to bed angry or upset with each other. Same goes for our children.

I find the whole silent treatment thing really immature. It would have to be a big 'crime' to warrant this happening in our house for any length of time.

If this behaviour is a regular thing then I would be looking to move on permanently.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi... has anybody dealt wth 'silent treatment' ... where your partner for whatever reason decides that they are annoyed with you so merely ignores you ... or insults you if they do speak ?
    Had this for sometime and whilst I can read all about it being for obssessive or narcissistic people actually DEALING with it is hard. Any useful suggestions please.

Stay well away from the Philippines!
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think sometimes a CONTROLLED silence is better than sniping or being sarcastic and the argument going on and on... HOWEVER, long periods of being ignored is just cruel and I would hate it.
  • Loz01 wrote: »
    I think sometimes a CONTROLLED silence is better than sniping or being sarcastic and the argument going on and on... HOWEVER, long periods of being ignored is just cruel and I would hate it.
    I agree, on the odd occassions my OH boils my blood i find its better to keep things in my head as i have nothing constructive to say.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Sleazy wrote: »
    Looked quickly and what I read was "Pack their bags and change your socks" :o
    You'll have potatoes in my socks to deal with!:rotfl:
  • Try that day to learn how to play the cymbols, trumpet or big bass drum.

Promise you they will be speaking again within seconds!
  • I think some people on here have never lived with a proper sulker.

The more times and ways you try and get them to talk the more they see it as some sort of 'reward' for their behaviour.

Although my earlier post was somewhat toungue in cheek it does contain an element of truth.

To the OP, sit them down and suggest they get some professional help, if they refuse then, to be frank, your options are limited, either put up with it and develop your own coping strategies or move on.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I like a blazing row. Marley is a sulker. It's not a good combination :rotfl:

I have however found that the sulks get shorter with time, longest he sustains now is about 20 minutes :D

A twenty minute sulk fair enough, keeping it going even overnight let alone a couple of days and I'd be packing their bags for them.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family