The New Adventures of Fortune

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Paperwork arrived from the solicitors today for both our sale and purchase :T That was quick!

My next door neighbour popped by to invite us to a social. She said she'd seen our purchasers drive by a couple of times whilst we were away. So sweet - they are first time buyers and must be sooo excited.

Lunch today was Haricot Bean & Tomato Soup with garlic bread. Supper was Smoked Haddock with Buttered Spinach and Mustard Sauce. I don't have a steamer though so cooked the potatoes in the microwave then put them in a casserole dish with the spinach on top. Poured the sauce over, topped with the haddock fillets and baked in the oven. Pleased that I've been able to rustle up some meals as the cupboards were bare when we got home and I couldn't get the shopping delivered until tomorrow. We do have shops where we live but I couldn't face leaving the house :o Mr F did pick up some eggs on his travels today.

Mr F started servicing the trucks today. He managed to get the things he needed for about £70 less than I'd budgeted :A Good thing as there's no contingency in the household account this month. We are at least a few pounds in hand now.

I got lots of dusting done in preparation for our buyers coming back on Wednesday. Also ventured into the attic and listed a few sales items on Facebook. There are a number of other things I'll list on Fleabay tomorrow as I think they will reach a wider audience there.

A friend who moved recently recommended a removals company so I contacted them today. Delighted to find that they will pack everything the day before completion, transport it to our new place, take up any vehicles we can't drive ourselves and clean the house after we leave it :j Bye, bye stress. All comes at a price though of course but I think it will be worth it ;) It isn't going to cost as much as I thought either :)

Need to think about whether or not to have a survey. So much conflicting advice. What do you guys think?

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Happy days fortune what wonderful news :T on the survey front, I would recommend it. Irrespective of purchase price the % of that the survey costs you is small. Even if something is wrong you go in eyes wide open.

The first house DH and I were ever going to buy we surveyed :eek::eek::eek: it was awful, if we'd bought without a survey we'd probably still be there 15 years later paying to put it right for someone else to buy it. The seller thought that due to the value of the house in the area we were buying no one would survey. We walked away.

Obviously if it's less than 10 years old it'll still have some new build guarantee on it and you might choose to skip, but in all other cases I would.
  • We had a full building survey done on our place even though it was only built in the 1980s.

Maybe we were lucky with our surveyor, but we found him to be very thorough. We didn't know anyone in this area who we could ask for advice, so I just Googled and then read through the websites that came up. The surveyor we picked had a very good website that detailed the differences between the types of survey and explained what they could and couldn't check.

We got quite a detailed report in the end, he'd managed to get in to the loft (where he found "evidence of rodents") and had checked the garage (which was how we discovered it had no electricity supply XD). There were a few caveats such as "I'm not an electrical engineer, but..." and "I am not a gas engineer and the boiler was switched off so it wasn't possible to check the central heating" etc. But for us it was worth the peace of mind as the house had been rented out for around 7 or 8 years and the owners had clearly been holding it entirely at arms length and had only done the bare essentials for maintenance (which was why they were selling it). We could see the superficial issues but wanted to make sure that there was nothing really dodgy lurking underneath. We also got an electrical check in the end too as the surveyor did spot that the fuse box was very out of date and recommended it be inspected.

So personally I'd go for a proper building survey, but really do your research on the surveyors in the area, and don't be afraid to phone them up and grill them about what they will and won't check!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

We've definitely moved some stones now Greying and even though there is the physical move to come I feel as though we are half way through at least.

Yes, and it is the 'little' steps/stones that count though isn't it? One 'hangover' from my otherwise abortive '12 week challenge' is to try to not go upstairs nor downstairs, empty handed. Now whilst most of the time I have BG in my possession, and there isn't much capacity for anything else in my hands/arms, there are plenty of times when I have been going from A to B empty-handed and there is stuff that needs putting away or collecting. I've by no means cracked it, but I am better than I was, and it has made a difference to the 'everyday' build up of 'tat' - dry washing/dirty washing/post/documents/new purchases for the bathroom (eg soap)/warm weather gear/cold weather gear etc etc.

I've got to whip myself into shape, or invest in a bungalow and live the life of a buddhist monk and have nothing that I cannot carry at one time.......mmmmmmm.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just catching up..such fabulous fabulous news..so glad you're heading West :)

Enjoy it all as much as you possibly can. It's a real adventure xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Yes, and it is the 'little' steps/stones that count though isn't it? One 'hangover' from my otherwise abortive '12 week challenge' is to try to not go upstairs nor downstairs, empty handed. Now whilst most of the time I have BG in my possession, and there isn't much capacity for anything else in my hands/arms, there are plenty of times when I have been going from A to B empty-handed and there is stuff that needs putting away or collecting. I've by no means cracked it, but I am better than I was, and it has made a difference to the 'everyday' build up of 'tat' - dry washing/dirty washing/post/documents/new purchases for the bathroom (eg soap)/warm weather gear/cold weather gear etc etc.

I've got to whip myself into shape, or invest in a bungalow and live the life of a buddhist monk and have nothing that I cannot carry at one time.......mmmmmmm.

Greying X

I'm sure carrying small 'soaps' has the same effect as carrying 'small' stones Greying :rotfl:

I do exactly the same in an effort to try and keep on top of things.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Just catching up..such fabulous fabulous news..so glad you're heading West :)

Enjoy it all as much as you possibly can. It's a real adventure xx

Thank you Brizzle - I have an earworm now, Go West by the Pet Shop Boys :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Mr F has been busy finishing the servicing of the trucks and mowing the lawn.

I have been busy completing the paperwork for the solicitors and reinstating a healthy diet.

The grocery shopping arrived this morning. Very relieved as we had run out of coffee:eek: Got a free tin of tuna which was provided as a substitution (an unsuitable one in my opinion) and the bill was a tad less than expected.

Lunch today was Fennel, Cherry & Goat's Cheese Salad expect I couldn't get any cherries and used tomatoes instead. I think the cherries would have made it a little more interesting but it was quite tasty without.

Drafted five Fleabay items for listing later and bumped a few FB sales.

I discovered that the title deeds for the house are still in my maiden name but apparently I can just send my marriage certificate in with the sale paperwork and that should suffice. Also that we don't have a Building Regs Completion Certificate for the garage. Can't think why not as we did everything by the book. I'll call the Council tomorrow to request a copy.

The printer has broken. I don't think it could cope with all the property brochures I printed off for our trip :rotfl: Mr F has a day trip to the office tomorrow so will sort out a replacement then.

Hasn't it been a glorious day today. The herbs in my garden are growing like billy-o and I've been able to cut tarragon and chives already.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend all

Fortune x
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm sure carrying small 'soaps' has the same effect as carrying 'small' stones Greying :rotfl:

*snort* :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: that makes it sound like I carry alot of soap around and about...... "Yah, Family Greying, vare vare clean, yknow?"
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm hoping that by staying on top of the daily *toot*, I can begin to make inroads into the bigger picture *stuff* :D

You continue to inspire, Dear Heart :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    There is nothing more I can do at the moment to further the house move.

I contacted Building Control yesterday to get a copy of the Completion Certificate for our building works. They won't do anything over the 'phone so I've had to email. Apparently it will take a few days for someone to get back to me.

The printer remains broken. It's provided by Mr F's company but he was too busy to sort it out yesterday. He's under strict instructions to do so today as I'm unable to print or copy any of the documents needed for the solicitors.

Was visited by the Removals Company yesterday who came out to have a look so they can give us a quote. I love them :rotfl: They are going to make this move so easy. They will pack, remove/replace light fittings, deal with the attic and the garage, drive vehicles up for us if required, clean the house after... and the list goes on. We'll have to pay for it all of course but it will be worth it for the stress reduction :cool:

Two Fleabay items have sold already and I'm intending to list more today.

Did lots of cleaning yesterday and have more to do today if we're not going to scare off our buyers tomorrow.

So lots to keep me busy even if I do feel I'm twiddling my thumbs.

Have a great day

Fortune x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure