Famous bankrupts, past & present

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2009 at 9:26PM
    RB might have been in the 70's before tubular bells, etc

cant be a company director if you've been bankrupt though, for upto 10 years?

maybe it was based off this, almost situation
    In 1971, Branson was arrested and charged for selling records in Virgin stores that had been declared export stock. He settled out-of-court with UK Customs and Excise with an agreement to repay the unpaid tax and fines. Branson's mother Eve re-mortgaged the family home to help pay the settlement [8].
    "What people should be asking themselves is: 'What is Richard Branson's track record? Has he ever let a company go bankrupt?' The answer is no. 'Has he ever had any spectacular failures?' The answer is no, and 'Will the reputation of this company be damaged by some other Virgin company going horribly wrong?' And all I can say is that our track record is no, there have been plenty of sceptics out there who have waited for us to stumble and either they have not understood or they have not wanted to understand how our companies work."

Virgin's offshore status has been crucial to its development: it allowed money to move from business to business without massive tax liabilities. "If we had not done it the way that we did, Virgin would be half the size that it is today," argues Branson.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2002/jul/27/theairlineindustry.transportintheuk
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    script wrote: »
    I haven't checked (to be honest I don't know how to), but I'm guessing it was a while ago and they won't still be in the Gazette

They will remain in the Gazette for ever, script - it is 'our little contribution to history'. ;)

It does, however, get more difficult to 'search' the Gazette for older entries.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • script
    script Posts: 718 Forumite
    Well it's no problem in making history lol
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    cant be a company director if you've been bankrupt though, for upto 10 years?

No stt - you are only barred from being a Company Director during the term of your Bankruptcy period. As soon as you are released, whether through early discharge or full term automatic discharge, you are free from that restriction. :beer:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • So ms katona is fit to join the company board just later next week :O
  • debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    So ms katona is fit to join the company board just later next week :O

Legally, yes ...............(fill in the rest yourself)
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Is there a Scottish equivalent to the Insolvency Register? I'd like to see the golden word 'discharged' next to my name if I can :)
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • Lost2
    Lost2 Posts: 15,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Richard Branson was not a Bankrupt, but he did get in to some difficulties with the Tax/Vat man...
    Sealed Pot Number 018 🎄2009..£950.50 🎄2010..£256 🎄 2011..£526 🎄2012..£548.80 🎄2013...£758.88🎄2014...£510 🎄2015...£604.78 🎄2016...£704.50 🎄2017...£475 🎄2018...£1979.12 🎄2019...£408.88🎄2020...£1200.63...🎄2021…£588 🎄2022 £672… 🎄2023 £3,783.90 🎄2024…£
  • dane-katie
    dane-katie Posts: 961 Forumite
    debtinfo wrote: »
    Legally, yes ...............(fill in the rest yourself)

Her discharge has been suspended indefinitely.

Wonder if she has been naughty :eek:
    Is a Bipolar bear :p
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    eklynne wrote: »
    Is there a Scottish equivalent to the Insolvency Register? I'd like to see the golden word 'discharged' next to my name if I can :)

there is.....but a charge of around £17 or £16 to access it per search....:eek:
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure