PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    To use less when wrapping things,e.g. sandwiches in foil ,place the sandwich or whatever diagonally on the wrap instead of square. Not a big saving but every little helps.
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    auntymabel wrote: »
    To use less when wrapping things,e.g. sandwiches in foil ,place the sandwich or whatever diagonally on the wrap instead of square. Not a big saving but every little helps.

Kitkat used to do that. They used to put the foil just off, diagonal-it was a long time ago when I first noticed. Don't know if they still do it or not.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hubby makes his own home brew. It works out around 35p a pint. He bottles it using recycled bottles. He just buys new bottle tops.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    I cant remember if ive said before i use the lids off the "posh" coffee tins, Millicano, Azura etc to cover other part used tins, eg tomatoes, beans, cat food. I also used the tins, and a few other tins, (the sort that have the label printed directly on to the metal) as planters for small geraniums last year, they looked stunning in a group, so have carried on collecting the tins to do same again this year :)
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Ellsey
    Ellsey Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have a tip which is radical, but happened by chance. I was placed on the coil to help control my migraines. My periods stopped within months saving me money on sanitary products and pain killers. After 4 years I swapped to the implant and was told it was unlikely I would menstruate whilst on this, again I have not. It has been an unexpected money saver!
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 April 2017 at 11:03AM
    I put branded shower gel from large bottles, which are difficult to hold, and have large openings, into smaller bottles with a smaller opening.

It goes both ways: if I have unbranded shower gel, I will put it in a small branded bottle with a small opening. If I have a large bottle of branded shower gel, I will put it in a smaller bottle, and be sure to tell dh that's it's the branded shower gel (which may or may not be a white lie :A ).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    gentlepurr wrote: »
    I cant remember if ive said before i use the lids off the "posh" coffee tins, Millicano, Azura etc to cover other part used tins, eg tomatoes, beans, cat food.

Careful with doing that.

The official advice remains that you shouldn't leave leftovers in the can - they should be transferred to another storage container - to prevent possible contamination from the can metal.... even if it is coated with plastic inside.
    :hello:
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ellsey wrote: »
    I have a tip which is radical, but happened by chance. I was placed on the coil to help control my migraines. My periods stopped within months saving me money on sanitary products and pain killers. After 4 years I swapped to the implant and was told it was unlikely I would menstruate whilst on this, again I have not. It has been an unexpected money saver!

Bit too much information for me. :o

Plus it's not really a sneaky way to choose to save money... it's either medically necessary or it isn't.

If periods are a money-saving concern then there's always a mooncup.
    :hello:
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I have a hourglass shaped shower timer to cut down on the time spent showering, to save electricity and water.
    However, I found it was impossible to shampoo and condition my hair and scrub myself clean in the 4 minutes the timer allowed.

So now I wash and condition my hair in the bathroom sink and rinse off the conditioner in the shower as I scrub down. I scrub down with a body puff of course, by far the most economical way of using shower gel or cream.

Doing it this way also allows the conditioner a little extra time to take effect as I empty and clean the sink, before climbing in to the shower.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 April 2017 at 8:13PM
    I always time my swim days with hair wash days. So, a) I have my longer shower at the leisure centre (save my water bill). B) I don't over wash my hair and ruin its condition. (I always use a swim cap).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport