We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Unclaimed prize register

Is this a scam?Anybody got this letter ?It asks me to call a premium number to claim my prize with a code.I dont enter that many comps also.Pls help.

Comments

• ceedy
    ceedy Posts: 19 Forumite
    99%,,, nah 100% confident its a con to get you a hefty phone charge and if your are very very very very very lucky a crap prize.. nah.. no chance of anything .. take care
    C.
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    I got the same letter this morning. I just binned it
  • sda_2
    sda_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    AnnieH wrote:
    I got the same letter this morning. I just binned it

I was also about to bin it but there is an option to send an entry form by post with a SAE.Thought maybe I could see what happens?:confused: I never win anything so if there is a tiny weeny chance that it might be something even small?
    I also got another one from Prizewinners club along with some junk mail in a statement.I binned it as calling was the only option.

Will keep posted what happens.Good luck all.
  • I also sent an s.a.e. and got my reply today. My prize is a digital camera, for which I am expected to pay £6.50 to cover postage and insurance. Needless to say there is no description of the camera but I don't expect it to be anything decent. Whether it's worth risking £6.50 I don't know.

Watch this space.

bambidex
  • Jarvissa
    Jarvissa Posts: 158 Forumite
    Bambidex, there are some super cheap rubbish 'digital cameras' out there!

I subscribed to 'Which' a while back and got the 'gift' of a free Digital Camera. I've seen phones from 5 years ago which take better pictures. It's made of the horriblest junkiest plastic too!

Probably cost about £1.00 to produce (definitely not worth £6.50!)

I'm thinking they'll send you something similar!
    Wins for 2009: Nada, Zip, Zilch :(
  • CBo
    CBo Posts: 508
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    YEp 650k wonder cam (that's HALF A MEGA PIXEL!).. some sites were offering them as free digital camera with order (probably the price they paid for them) and bet they've had a run in a pound shop. They have no flash, no lcd dispaly and pictures look like you took them at the other end of a tunnel and zoomed in with cloudy binoculars. Played with one that got given as present many yrs back probably recieved after buying something from a shop.
  • Many thanks for your comments. I suspected as much myself. They can keep their camera and I'll keep my £6.50. I don't need another digital camera anyway; I've already got a couple of good 'uns.

It'll be interesting to see if "sda" is also offered a digital camera, along with everyone else who bothers responding.

It's an easy way to extract money from the gullible, especially if one isn't bothered about sleeping at night.

Cheers,

bambidex
  • mol82
    mol82 Posts: 8 Forumite
    hello

i got a later from the same company today, telling me that i have won one of their prices. they also asked me to call a premium number to find out what the prize is? what a load of crap!!!!! Thank God i checked this site before responding to this nonsense. how can pple get away with crap like this!!!! its probably some unemployed person living on benefits who cant be bothered their back side to get a job. excuse me for being so judgemental but i think you ll agree with me that with this extremely over worked world when can one ever find time to come up with stupid scams like that? may God judge them accordingly for messing with other pple souls. Its dead wrong!!!!!!
  • Dear Busted,

Thank you for your kind offer but I’m sure that after spending a minimum of £9 on the phone call and had the pleasure of hearing you describe all the possible prizes at great length while spending £1.50 per minute for the privilege, I will receive the not-unexpected news that I’ve won the digital camera.

Even if, having read the small print and discovering that at least you are bound by one regulation which requires you to offer the option of obtaining the claim code by post, I do so, I will then still have to fork out another £6.50 for the joy of being the recipient of a device which other companies are giving away as a freebie simply because it isn’t worth paying money for. I expect the average mobile phone camera will do a better job.

The address below, to which you sent your enticing offer is no longer valid.

I’ve moved so you can delete that address and my name from your database.

Oh… no, sorry, you can’t have my new address. Phew, that’s one less amoral scam merchant I won’t have to deal with again!

A pleasure not doing business with you.
  • thatgirlsam
    thatgirlsam Posts: 10,451 Forumite
    if you can be bothered rip the letter into tiny bits and send it back to them, this is what i do to any loan/junk mail i receive (even better when they provide you with an envelope) if everyone did this surely the scam/junk mail companys would get sick of opening letters full of tiny bits of paper??
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts