Appealing disciplinary?

Options
So long story short I passed my FLT test at work last week and unfortunatley I 'crashed' into some roller doors.
It was a complete accident. I thought the doors were high enough but didn't account for the forks being raised when backing out of the warehouse(I got in fine). My boss says it's a classic flt driver mistake.

If I get a disciplinary, would I have reasonable grounds to appeal it as an unfair desicion?
Since it was a complete accident and I've only been on them for 1 week.
Cheers

Comments

• Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Check your contract and/ or company handbook, which should lay out the full disciplinary procedure, including details of any right of appeal you may have. It sounds like you're unlikely to be taken to a disciplinary though as your boss says it's not an uncommon mistake - and I'm assuming no-one was hurt and no major damage was done - so I suspect you'll get a slap on the wrist and an informal warning to be more careful in future.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Would it be unfair? You did after all drive into some shutters.

On the other hand it is unlikely they would waste a lot of money training you and then dismiss you a week after you have passed and even if they did you have got the qualification now and you would easily get another job.
  • damoC
    damoC Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I will do. No one was hurt but the bottom panel needs replacing. My boss said it's not uncommon but he also said it would be disciplinary. I've been there for 3 years so I know they won't get rid of me. I can afford to have a disciplinary as my record is squeeky clean but would prefer not to have one.

@JReacher1 yes I agree and have been beating myself up the second I heard the noise.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    OK - so if they're definitely going to discipline you, you need to ask what this will consist of - i.e. verbal warning/ first written warning/ final written warning etc. - and unless what they give you is the last step before dismissal, you may want to consider just sucking it up on the basis that it should expire after a set period of time - this should be laid out in the company handbook.

If you appeal it, you're probably going to annoy your boss as it will trigger another formal process including further meetings and paperwork to be completed. Given that your boss has reassured you that it's not an uncommon mistake, although he has to discipline you, this suggests that he values you and would probably rather put the incident to bed and move on as quickly as possible.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will be ribbed by your manager and colleages for months to come (and you may get a warning). FLT incidents are very common and most are avoidable. Consider yourself fortunate that nobody was injured etc. What you will do for the future is ensure that when using the FLT that your work area is clear of obstructions (people, goods, fixtures & fittings) and don't forget to look up. Do everything by the book and how you were trained/instructed and you wont go far wrong.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're inquiring about a appealing disciplinary yet to be undertaken!

You'd be better putting some thought into your case statement ahead of any hearing being convened.

Have they decided to conduct an investigation first?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why is it an unfair decision?

You damaged company property due to your own negligence. A disciplinary would be the right course for your employer.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    A disciplinary does not mean anything will happen.
    I have had 2 in my working career. One I received a warning, the other I argued my case and walked out without a blemish on my file.

If you have been there for 3 years with no problems and it was just a genuine mistake that many people do I would expect you to get a warning at most. Anything more and they are looking for an excuse to get rid of you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Saying "it was a complete accident" doesn't get you anywhere. I mean, who's going to say "I did it on purpose" or "It was nearly finish time and I was in a rush".

So as suggested, start thinking now about what you're going to say. Maybe describe what happened: "although the forks were raised I was able to drive in without incident. I did not realise that when reversing I would not have sufficient clearance and that I should have lowered the forks. I am very sorry about this, especially as it happened so soon after passing my FLT."
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    damoC wrote: »
    ...It was a complete accident...
    I suspect that you'll fare better at the disciplinary if you can do a bit more analysis.

• Express Regret.
    • Accept Responsibility. What did you do/not do. Show that you take your FLT driving seriously.
    • Future Plans. What will you do to ensure it doesn't happen again. After all, if there's a next time, someone might be hurt.
    Hope it goes OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport