Leaving site on Lunch breaks

Options

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Would you not say that as there is nothing "specified" in law re whether you can/can't leave the premises then it comes down to "reasonableness"? Under the circumstances of the OP it would indeed be unreasonable for them to take the extra payment and then leave the premises when they are on first aid duty.

However, under normal circumstances when your lunch break is unpaid it would be entirely reasonable to do so and would be unreasonable of the employer to prevent you doing so unless it was a one-off occasion and for good reason.

If an employer could not give such a reason then I suspect a tribunal would find against them if they regularly insisted on an employee remaining on premises on their unpaid lunch break.
    Reasonableness is not something that anyone can bet on. What I, or you, or the bloke down the road, think is reasonable is not what the law says or might determine. There are a lot of employers who do insist that lunch breaks are taken on the premises, and there always have been. Not the majority, but certainly enough. Some make it a contractual condition, and you accept it or there's no job. For some its policy - which can very easily, in law, become contractual anyway. Then there's custom and practice. But the fact is that such rules already exist in a number of places, and yet there is not a single piece of case law on this. On that basis I am not willing to tell anyone that they have a right to do something which there is no evidence or law to support. Perhaps others are comfortable with doing that, but I prefer to tell people facts and let them form their own opinions - not provide my opinion and let them think it's a fact.

Your comments are fair - but guesses based on supposition. A case would come down to specifics. And so far there isn't a case. Presumably because nobody is stupid enough to risk their job over where they eat their sandwich. Or maybe because, as in the OPs case, there's a patently reasonable explanation for the rule??? I believe, for example, that a number of people at Sellafield aren't allowed to leave the premises for lunch. Nuclear meltdown being so inconvenient to anyone living in the North of England and south of Scotland. On a more common circumstance, in the care industry, many care homes and facilities insist that all breaks are taken on the premises because, in legal terms, people leaving the site can reduce head count for staff to patient ratio below allowed levels on site.

So it's all down to specifics, and on some purely theoretical level with no specific information, and assuming a tribunal claim were made, I'm not willing to guess what the decision might be. But there is no right to leave the premises, just as there is actually no right to stay on the premises! Telling people they have rights which don't exist is not helpful. And assuming rights that don't exist is purely foolish...

None of which helps the OP at all, because they volunteered to be the first aider. They receive payment for the inconvenience of that. So they stay on the premises. Or give it up and surrender the payment. And maybe that might actually be best, because I'm not sure that I'd want to place my trust in the health and safety provision of a first aider, who, having agreed to provide this and taken the money, doesn't want to be there when I need it because it's inconvenient to them!
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Yes, all the instances you have quoted would be reasonable, as I agreed the OP didn't have an issue as it was a perfectly reasonable expectation.

However, the vast majority of us do jobs where public safety is not an issue and where we have not contractually agreed to remain on premises during lunch break so it was those employers/employees I referred to. There will always be exceptions, which is why they are designated as such.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    No I won't be telling you that. But I am telling you that the law allows an employer to refuse workers the right to leave the premises during breaks. Your opinion on that matter is irrelevant.

This website disagrees with you:

http://www.workplacesafetyadvice.co.uk/can-i-leave-premises-lunch-break.html

as does this one:

http://www.welfareatwork.co.uk/taking-a-break-at-work-what-are-your-rights.html

And despite what you say above the law doesn't allow an employer to stop employees leaving the premises. However I take your point that the law isn't clear on this and it doesn't say they can't stop them leaving either and until someone actually takes it to court we'll remain in this limbo. My opinion on this is as relevant or as irrelevant as yours until someone decides to challenge this and it's set in stone.

For a care home would a person on a break be considered as part of the head count considering they're not technically working? I appreciate an employer can recall you from your break but the employer has to allow the employee to take a break if they're working the necessary hours so at some point in the working day they have to be unavailable by law.

But in the OPs case, given they are being paid to be available I see nothing wrong with this. If they'd rather leave the premises it appears they could just give up the first aid position.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sangie has finally admitted that there is nothing in law to say staff may not leave the premises during their lunch break. That, presumably, because he couldn't find the non-existant piece of legislation which says that a company can stop people leaving the premises for unpaid breaks.
    It would be perfectly reasonable to expect somebody who is being paid extra for First Aid duties to stay on site - they are being paid.
  • sangie595
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Sangie has finally admitted that there is nothing in law to say staff may not leave the premises during their lunch break. That, presumably, because he couldn't find the non-existant piece of legislation which says that a company can stop people leaving the premises for unpaid breaks.
    It would be perfectly reasonable to expect somebody who is being paid extra for First Aid duties to stay on site - they are being paid.
    I have admitted no such thing. I have repeatedly referred to what the law and not opinion says. She had quoted exactly what the legislation says and linked to that legislation. You are all quoting opinion with no legal backing. I'm still waiting for the law that confirms your position. A law that does not exist.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    This website disagrees with you:

http://www.workplacesafetyadvice.co.uk/can-i-leave-premises-lunch-break.html

as does this one:

http://www.welfareatwork.co.uk/taking-a-break-at-work-what-are-your-rights.html

And despite what you say above the law doesn't allow an employer to stop employees leaving the premises. However I take your point that the law isn't clear on this and it doesn't say they can't stop them leaving either and until someone actually takes it to court we'll remain in this limbo. My opinion on this is as relevant or as irrelevant as yours until someone decides to challenge this and it's set in stone.

For a care home would a person on a break be considered as part of the head count considering they're not technically working? I appreciate an employer can recall you from your break but the employer has to allow the employee to take a break if they're working the necessary hours so at some point in the working day they have to be unavailable by law.

But in the OPs case, given they are being paid to be available I see nothing wrong with this. If they'd rather leave the premises it appears they could just give up the first aid position.
    Find law. Not opinion.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Sangie has finally admitted that there is nothing in law to say staff may not leave the premises during their lunch break. .

Where ????
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Please find the actual law that says this - not a link to an opinion. What you agree with is irrelevant. I have stated the law as it stands. There is nothing in the law that says you can, or can't, leave the premises. Whether you or Curly Sue like it is irrelevant, and I'm perfectly fine with her ignoring me. Really, I'm supposed to care?

Where do the Working Time Regulations say this? Just in case you'd like to make it easier to find, I've provided a link here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1833/regulation/12/made

Oh look at that. It says exactly what I said it says. Can't see the bit that says you can spend it anywhere you like. Happy for you or CurlySue to provide me with that link.

This is what you said, which seems quite clear to me.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 10:47AM
    Options
    There is no such law just as there is no law that says employers can force you to stay on premise. But you've said this already and I agreed with you but you seemed to ignore that.

Look, I value your contribution to this folder and the advice you give but you're all over the place on this topic. First you say that it's law an employer can force you to stay on premise, then you say no law exists either way and then you deny saying this. At least be consistent or admit when you're partially wrong.

Anyway this topic seems to be descending into arguments and the OP has had their question answered among the rest so I'll leave it be.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they can. A first aider who isn't present is of no use whatsoever. If you want to go your own way, then you may resign as a first aider, and they can pay someone else for the responsibility.

There is no right to leave the building anyway.

If someone is on duty as a first aider all day how can they be considered to be on a "break"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure