Stolen debit card used with pin

Comments

• Adam9193 wrote: »
    made two large transactions over the counter in two different branches shouldn't they of smelt a rat?
    Nobody here can definitely accurately predict whether you'll get a refund. However, the thieves knowing your PIN is a definite disadvantage.

See what happens..
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Even though the thieves knew the PIN number of the card?

Er yes, that's precisely what distraction fraud is.

Although usually it targets the elderly or disabled outside at ATMs.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey_2
    The opinion of one police officer is largely irrelevant.

Hardly.

In fact the police report - in the case of any dispute is usually what the bank will base the refund upon, which is BBA guidance - as BBC Moneybox reported two months ago on a feature on this very issue.

[Although hopefully soon new Regs will ensure all in branch thefts from accounts based on ID fraud are refunded, as recommended by MPs following the Gloria Hunniford case. Only those foolish enough to transfer £ to fraudsters posing as online bogus love interests abroad should not automatically be refunded, as they effected the transfer]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mersey wrote: »
    precisely what distraction fraud is.
    Well aware of that.

Still not convinced that there will be an automatic refund, otherwise people could just give their PINs to crime accomplices.
  • Mersey_2
    edited 20 October 2017 at 2:05AM
    Well aware of that.

Still not convinced that there will be an automatic refund, otherwise people could just give their PINs to crime accomplices.

Again, hardly.

If the person caught on CCTV is the 'victim's' accomplice then not only will they not be refunded, they'd likely be prosecuted as well.

elsien's link above provides the current state of play. The PIN isn't fatal.
  • Mersey wrote: »
    If the person caught on CCTV is the 'victim's' accomplice then not only will they not be refunded, they'd likely be prosecuted as well..
    How would it be known whether they were accomplices?

The point is that you say the OP will get an AUTOMATIC refund despite the PIN being compromised. I don't believe that will be the case.

The OP may well get a refund, but no one here can state that categorically.

I'll leave you to get the last word... :)
  • The op "guesses he'd been snooped on and the card pick pocketed" Doesn't mention an ATM, or how or when this could have happened.

It could be closer to home, than random theft and I'm sure the bank will investigate thoroughly.
  • Mersey_2
    How would it be known whether they were accomplices?

The point is that you say the OP will get an AUTOMATIC refund despite the PIN being compromised. I don't believe that will be the case.

The OP may well get a refund, but no one here can state that categorically.

You are the one who raised the possibility of an "accomplice." By CCTV and mobile 'phone records as in a case just last month.

It doesn't really matter what you believe or whether you think it should be the case - I'm simply pointing out what current practice is.

They can - as that is the default position: banks refund for fraud. [The only exception being if they suspect the customer was implicated or reckless]
  • I have to agree with Society's Child, and suspect that the thief is someone the OP knows. Unless he's daft enough to have had his pin written down somewhere. It seems a bit too thought out for a thief to have been following you about, then stealing your card.

Is it contactless? Are you certain it was done using a PIN?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have to agree with Society's Child, and suspect that the thief is someone the OP knows.
    I would expect this to be the suspicion of the Bank too, unless the other poster is right and there is to be an automatic refund.
    Is it contactless? Are you certain it was done using a PIN?

OP seems certain it was;
    Adam9193 wrote: »
    unfortunately there had been a number of transactions made by chip and pin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills