Minimum download speeds

Options
I am a talk talk customer whose contract is at an end and have just negotiated an upgrade to fibre 38 (38 mbits being the max speed). I have used the USwitch bb speed tester and it is recording about 22mbits. Talk talk have sent me literature in which I am guaranteed 35mbits. I called customer service (groan) who passed me onto technical and they have said they can find no fault with the line and this it must be something to do with the property (a 3rd floor flat) . Well I am using the master socket, put a new filter on it and the router is about 8 feet away in the same room. Apart from a floor standing light there is nothing between the router and my laptop. There is two of us in the flat and we are rarely on together and weren't when this test was done. One last factoid - we are 0.6 miles from the exchange.. U Swtich reports that the fastest speed at my post code is 34mbits by BT....... So what can I or should I do.? Leave Talk talk and go to BT? Accept what I have? Go back down to Fast ordinary BB from Talk talk - that gave me 5 mbits and did not seem a lot slower than what I have now!!!

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a talk talk customer whose contract is at an end and have just negotiated an upgrade to fibre 38 (38 mbits being the max speed). I have used the USwitch bb speed tester and it is recording about 22mbits. Talk talk have sent me literature in which I am guaranteed 35mbits. I called customer service (groan) who passed me onto technical and they have said they can find no fault with the line and this it must be something to do with the property (a 3rd floor flat) . Well I am using the master socket, put a new filter on it and the router is about 8 feet away in the same room. Apart from a floor standing light there is nothing between the router and my laptop. There is two of us in the flat and we are rarely on together and weren't when this test was done. One last factoid - we are 0.6 miles from the exchange.. U Swtich reports that the fastest speed at my post code is 34mbits by BT....... So what can I or should I do.? Leave Talk talk and go to BT? Accept what I have? Go back down to Fast ordinary BB from Talk talk - that gave me 5 mbits and did not seem a lot slower than what I have now!!!

If TT have sold you an upto 38Mb FTTC connection, it's the distance to the fibre cabinet that dictates how close to the 38Mb you will get, not the distance to the exchange.
    If you log onto your router stats page and post them it may be possible to tell if there is a problem, or if 22Mb is appropriate for your line, you can get an speed estimate yourself by using a speed preditcing website and entering your postcode, you can use your phone number with some providers , but probably not TT as they are a LLU provider.
    If what you get is all your line can handle and it's unacceptable, then unless TT lied to you , you may be stuck until your minimum term expires or you pay early termination charges to get out of the 'contract'
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You should test by plugging into the test socket directly (behind the face-plate of the master socket) without any additional filters. It's the only way to rule out any other factors.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume that the laptop is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and NOT wifi.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I assume that the laptop is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and NOT wifi.
    the router is about 8 feet away in the same room. Apart from a floor standing light there is nothing between the router and my laptop

WiFi I suspect.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    OP, please come back and state if the speed test was done with wifi or an ethernet cable.

If it was done with wifi, repeat it with wifi disabled on the laptop and with an ethernet cable plugged in.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure