• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Took me at least 30 seconds to puzzle who that might be.:o
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I was a lot slower on the uptake!
    Just trying to avoid mentioning that firm by name.
  • FixedIncome
    FixedIncome Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 February 2018 at 1:12AM
    Options
    do you want to buy sterling bonds? (it may be possible to buy bonds denominated in euros or other currencies, too; you'd have to consider FX charges.)

i've used 3 brokers for individual bonds:

1) hargreaves lansdown

many bonds can be traded online - i.e. the ones with the white-on-green arrows in this list:

online dealing gives you a live price (to accept or reject), including an accrued interest calculation. £11.95 dealing commission.

for bonds that can't be dealt online, you'd have to deal by phone, with higher dealing commission. (i haven't done that.)

they also charge on-going fees for just holding bonds in an ISA, of 0.45% per year, capped at £45 per year.

2) ajbell youinvest

bonds can only be dealt by phone. when you phone, you don't get a live price; you can place either of 2 order types: at best, or fill-or-kill.

they charge their online dealing commission rate, £9.95, for bonds, not their higher phone rate (because bonds can't be dealt online).

there are also on-going holding charges, of 0.25% per year, capped at £30 per year.

3) iweb

bonds can only be dealt by phone. you are quoted a live price while you're on the phone. they charge the same dealing commission as online, £5.

however, i believe the range of bonds you can deal with iweb has become more restrictive recently.

no on-going charges, but a one-off charge of £25 to open your first account.

Thanks for your answer!
    I had already identified HL that has the largest choice and iWeb that has the best cost/commission. I would need to know better the difference on the range of bonds.

I read that in an ISA you can pay in just GBP then convert them in EUR, but the exchange cost (I guess at least 1%) makes it not convenient at all. Therefore, I plan to invest only the savings from my job in UK (not moving my pft in EUR)
  • FixedIncome
    FixedIncome Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 February 2018 at 1:27AM
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    They are popular. However, only as part of a balanced portfolio. Investing them by themselves is not popular as that is generally regarded as poor quality investing. And with bonds expected to perform relatively badly in the coming years their only real benefit is to reduce volatility in a diverse portfolio.

Also the word "bond" is one of the most misused words in financial services. Lots of bonds are not bonds. They are marketing names for a different investment or even a different product. I have assumed fixed interest securities in my response but you may be referring to something else.

Yes, I mean securities, indeed I was confused when I moved to UK with the word "Bonds"

There is a lot math behind the Bonds, they are totally different than most of other investiments and they can be a high risk investment.
    there are two main reasons why they are not popular in UK:
    - very little choice of Bonds in GBP compared to EUR
    - interests are counted as income tax :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills